The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Favorite number of rod pieces for transport?
1 3 0.98%
2 75 24.51%
3 32 10.46%
4 182 59.48%
5 6 1.96%
6 2 0.65%
7 4 1.31%
8 1 0.33%
9 0 0%
10 or more? 1 0.33%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 06:46 AM

oletroutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Favorite number of rod pieces?

I like 4 piece rods they are much easier to pack into a backpack and they also make it easy to pack more than one rod. And they catch just as many fish, thet are a win win choice. TIGHT LINES
Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 PM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road

I love my 4 piece rods. I've only cast off the top section once! I have broken 2 sections on 2 different rods. My car door seems to have a destructive mind of its own!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:18 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

There was a theory some years ago that the 3-piece rod was superior because of "wave theory," that is the symetrical wave lenghts that occur naturally in a fly rod did not line up by rod peice...which is good.

But I don't cast well enough to worry about advanced physics. The rods I've purchased weren't available in a 3-piece, and 4-piece rods are incredibly convenient.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 01-17-2011, 02:56 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Since I don't backpack anymore, my 9 ft - 2pc works for me. I rely on my metal tube case to protect it. I might like a 3pc also.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:21 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

With the exception of just a few rods I am more or less using 4pc rods exclusively.

I do quite a bit of fly in trips and in a Cessna 172 or a cub 4 pc rods just fit so much better and I havent noticed any performance drawbacks to outweigh the packing size.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:18 AM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

I'm waiting for the 10 piece that will fit in my pocket and will put itself together like my tent polls

But for now, I hike a lot and find that treefish (especially oakfish) as weel as bushfish make a 4 or 5 practical for me

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 02-21-2011, 05:01 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I like a 2 piece rod best, but a 3 piece is better to carry (esp on a plane) easer too protect and still cast well enough.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

I voted for five and have had rods from eight to one piece. The five is shorter and more handy but when made from the right materials etc--is lighter than many two pieces were 15 years back. Never had a ferrule break so that's a non issue and the taper/build and action is so advanced these days that is also a non issue.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-28-2011, 08:47 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I voted 2, that is my favorite, however I do own a few 4 piece as well. I prefer to fish with 2 piece rods, they feel better to me, and I drive to most of my fishing spots, the 2 piece in its case fits in the back of my wrangler no problem. Now, if I were traveling or backpacking, I would take a 4 piece with me, and I usually hide a 4 piece in the car as a second rod when going fishing just in case I have a problem with my 2 piece (The only time I have ever broken a rod was it was a 4 piece fast action rods - thats another story previously posted). So, 2 piece for me, and when I can afford a good one, a 2 piece bamboo is next on my list.....

d
Old 03-26-2011, 01:24 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

My favorite number of rod pieces for transport is 4 just because it is so nice and compact. But I absolutely love 2 piece rods.

Tight Lines
Scott