The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Favorite number of rod pieces for transport?
1 4 1.15%
2 83 23.92%
3 36 10.37%
4 207 59.65%
5 7 2.02%
6 2 0.58%
7 5 1.44%
8 2 0.58%
9 0 0%
10 or more? 1 0.29%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 07:54 AM

GrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Favorite number of rod pieces?

I've carried close to 6' rod tubes/cases on aircraft (when they were glad to slip it in the hanging closet and when bins were inter-connected) and 8+' tubes that they'd put in the hold without a problem......All up until the greed and paranoia kicked in, and the second they realized a buck could be made, then they started having issue.

To that end, and even though they still try and give you grief I found i utilized my 2 piece rods more then single piece...So I guess 2 piece it is now, holding the line to the last.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 AM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

i voted 3 pieces. To me that is the best of both worlds. If transportation was not a factor, all my rods would be 1 piece rods.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:53 PM

emtrout is on a distinguished road

I voted 3 pieces. I think its the best compromise between castability and portability. That being said, my favorite rods are both 2-piece rods.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:00 AM

hairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant future

I'm with emtrout and grtlksmarlin... My favorite rods all are two-piece, and since travel to good trout water isn't a concern any longer, I tend to stick with my "old favorites" whenever I hit the river...

Then again, I tend to start off every visit to the river with the same fly as well-- an Adams parachute, size #14. But, that's just me...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 08-11-2014, 06:26 AM

rick70 is on a distinguished road

4 piece. Great for backpacking!
Old 10-17-2014, 12:21 AM

dryhollow is on a distinguished road

4 is convenient but 2 feels better
tpo likes this.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:49 PM

flyfishingjack is on a distinguished road

The more pieces, the less "castable" the rod?
Or is it all in my head?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:07 AM

robinfick is on a distinguished road

Growing up with two piece rods, I have always been sceptical of more pieces(more to go wrong). But one has to move with the times. I often have a battle to separate the tip section of four piece rods.
However no one has mentioned the number of sections of their rods relative to the length of their rods. Although the standard now days is a four piece rod, a four piece 12 to 14 foot rod would not be that convenient as opposed to that of an 8 to 9 foot four piece rod.
Be that as it may, I travel (fly)with four piece rods as they fit in my suitcase and I do not pick up problems with airport staff. Once had a very ugly incident at Charles de Gaulle airport with two piece rods and have no wish to repeat it.
But on my local streams, I fish my now favourite three piece rods which fit into my truck and if I am hiking far from my vehicle, I will have a four piece backup in my daypack.
As I have no experience of fly rods longer than 9 feet, I would be interested to read the views of those that fish longer rods.
Robin
Old 12-02-2014, 06:00 PM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice

After 57 years of fly fishing, my feeling about rod pieces are:
1. If I never had to travel, I'd want a 1 piece rod.
2. The more pieces of a rod, the more ferrules there are to wear out ( yes, they can wear, especially if it's a spigot ferrule) or be defective.
3. The more pieces you make in a rod, the more expensive it will be for the same quality.
4. Unless you are going to do a lot of traveling a 2 piece rod will perform somewhat better and be less money.
5. 3 piece rods usually perform better than 4 piece rods as the closer you move a ferrule to the tip top the more weight there is to cause vibration and to slow down tip speed.
6. There are two points in a rod to consider, the pendulum point (That's the point when you hold a rod tightly and make a hard snap with it where the flex in the butt starts. The second, the nodule point. That's where when you wiggle a rod it looks somewhat like a fishs body, the wrist and the tail.
The rod from the pendulum point to the "wrist" where it wiggles is the power part of the rod which casts the line. The rod from there on up acts like the little tip of a recurve bow which gives that little boost.

Any ferrule forward of the nodule point reduces the efficiency of the rod.
Ferrules below that don't have that much effect on the rod's castibility.

If I had my druthers, I'd have a rod made which had a handle which detaches and I would put in my luggage and the rest a two piece rod with one lower section and three different tips for a 5 7 and 9 wt. that would make for a thinner tube in which the equivilent of three rods would fit. Easier to transport one 2 piece tube than three different tubes for 4 piece rods.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:07 PM

kosix will become famous soon enoughkosix will become famous soon enough

Um, probably 4.
Most of my fishing involves plane travel and or hiking so the tube is convenient length.

I have an old 2pice which is fine for car trips.

My 5 piece has great action, but can't be transported AND reassembled in two equal pieces.

I have found multi piece rods are more susceptible to slipping apart. A candle stub solves that though.