The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Far Can You Cast?
A full fly line + some backing 100' 32 18.82%
70 or 80' you can see backing 47 27.65%
40 or 50' nice distance but cant see backing 50 29.41%
Just started and are learning to cast 10 5.88%
50' to 70' far enough for most fish 31 18.24%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How far can you cast?

Because I fish for Stripers I have had to learn to long cast. I took a leason from Steve Rajeff who taught me to double haul. I use a G.Loomis Cross Currant 9' 9" 8wt with SA Mastery Streamer Express and put out 75 to 85' on a good day. However, this type of casting wares me out after about an hour or so. On my 'Loomis GLX 9' 7wt I can hit 60-75' all day for LM and SM and that I enjoy more. I work out at the gym and do a lot of arm and back work to be able to do this, but at 55 it's starting to ware me out. A little!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:09 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

just under 106' measured in competition.
112' not incompetition but measured.
consistently between 95' and 105'
Old 08-12-2012, 09:04 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Hey Nickel!
I just got ahold of a GLX Classic 9' 8wt. Tried it out in the yard this evening and went to 63' without much effort and without double hauling! That's pretty much the way I cast when I fish 'cuz I don't like to work at it.
You are sure right! The GLX series are smooth and pretty fast if this one is any indication. I couldn't pass it up for $238 shipped! Got a GLX 6wt 9' from the same guy for $228 shipped and can't wait to try it out on some big ol' trout!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:36 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

Nice! Those classic models are a staple in the Loomis lineup and you got a good price on those beauties! 63' is a long distance. plenty of power in those rods.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM

standman is on a distinguished road

So much depends upon the tools in use (as well as the level of wind...of course). With my saltwater set up, I expect to cast more than 80' into the wind and more than 100' in my back yard. In general, I fish fiberglass and will get at least 70' with most of my 8' 5-7 weights and over 60' with the 3-4 weights. More in the back yard. I know I can get perhaps another 10' with my graphite rods, but why worry about that when it doesn't usually mean more fish. When I think I need even more distance, I'll pull out my 10' 6 or 8 weight graphite.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Most guys overestimate their cast by 10 feet just like trout are always 2 inchers longer when we tell of them.
My wife says we also overestimate the length of some other things...Sorry could not resist.

Why measure a cast....I cast in tournaments a few times a year. They don't guess, they measure. It's for money so yes I practice my distance for no other reason than the love of it and the Money!

Standing in the Babine and you want to swing on a steely and not have to worry about throwing a little cleo with a spinning set up, then a 30' shooting head and another 50-70' of line is gonna get your more taps on the swing. Big rivers are hundreds of feet across and being able to cast farther no doubt increases your chance for a tap and a tug. Skating a bubble head...I want that sucker 80' minimum.

I cast with some of the best in the world at competitions and I see the distances. Typically all are with a 9' 5 wt production rod.

Give me a 9' or 10' 9-12 wt and pegging a hundred is pretty doable in a lot of conditions...BY FAR the biggest obstacle in casting this far is line management.

We all know how fast it can happen..and coincidentally how fast it can be over...Sometimes that cast has to be 80' and right now or...On to the next flat. Catch a tool on your vest or a flap on your Teva and bam, you're done! Guide shrugs, you cuss. Life sucks! The other side..."Sweet toss, he's on it! Set Set Set, let him run, Fish On!"

It is this way in every sport. The better you are at one critical component of a sport more than likely the better you will do when trying to produce.

The lovely thing about this sport we all love so much is that you can be a total hack and have a bit of luck on your side and come out on top on any given day. That's another reason why I love fly fishing.

Working an 8'6" 4 wt LL. on the Gunny. Casting 70-80, is work but doable, add a wind and some line issues and it's tough! Notice my drift to clear the line, this becomes a huge factor in being able to poke the long one..Too much drift and you are done! Not enough and you will hit a tailing loop.

I was sorry not to get to cast with Bruce Richards at the Fair. I need Lessons!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:49 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

My fishing guide said it best "it's great that people can cast a long distance, but if they cannot accurately place a fly where its needed then they not giving that long cast any importance"
cochise likes this.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:08 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Not far enough sometime, too far other times and I often feel I could have done better.

Most of the time I can reach the fish I trying to make a presentation too, a few times I have gotten very wet when I couldn't reach them from where I was.

I have 60' marked on my #7 and #5 and 45 marked on my #3.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

I don't really ever measure per se, unless I'm in the back yard practicing and pacing it off- but I agree with alot of the above posters-
*line mgmt is a huge part of casting far distances.
*above is true especially in a river that is moving. The water is pulling your slack line all the time, you have to manage it all and get it into the air without messing your timing up
*I can cast plenty far enough to catch alot of fish, including outcasting my "set the hook" zone (once a ton of line is out and you are working a dry on a dead drift, if a fish takes 70 feet away you better have *zero* slack or you will never get the hook set in time.
*on the river I fish generally 30 feet of REAL distance accurately placed is plenty. 30-40feet away from the target doesn't spook many fish on a upriver or across river cast.
*I can pretty consistently and accurately cast double or triple this (70-85ft) with a 4 wt. 9'0 rod lined with Rio Gold WF4F and a #10 caddis.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:53 AM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

Ok, so I was out on the river today and wading upstream came to a large flat open area with slower water and no boulders etc. Since I had already caught about umpteen many fish I decided to just kind of haul off some long casts with double hauls as if it was backyard practice.

Just a few notes-
Equipment: Winston LT 489-5 (4 wt, 8'9") with WF4F Rio trout line of some kind and 8 ft of 5x leader and a #12 Caddis dry fly tied on.
Wind: Minimal/various directions light breeze (not a factor)

Point 1:
I had about 80 feet of line out, and probably 3 out of 4 casts I was able to get most of the line in the air and out on a delivered cast with a single or double haul and a few false casts to aerialize that much line off the water. The only time I couldn't get it in the air was when the current had grabbed it behind me and I couldn't get it sorted in time for the delivery of the cast as the line went out. But generally I could toss that much line on the river wading up to my thighs actually fishing.

Point 2: Accuracy at that distance? Fuggedaboutit. I'd say I was hitting roughly a 15ft diameter of accuracy at that distance...not very accurate. Just too much line turning over to be sure of where it will land.

Point 3: Fish On! I did get a decent strike about 70 feet in front of me, but I couldn't set the hook in time with that much line out at that distance even though I was stripping line with the current trying to keep it tight and a dead drift. So I missed the fish (too far away).
Hardyreels likes this.