The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Far Can You Cast?
A full fly line + some backing 100' 33 18.97%
70 or 80' you can see backing 49 28.16%
40 or 50' nice distance but cant see backing 50 28.74%
Just started and are learning to cast 10 5.75%
50' to 70' far enough for most fish 32 18.39%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 05:39 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How far can you cast?

Yep! I haven't tried to throw that much with a 5, but I can do it with a stiff six or a ten.
Then, of course, when it gets there it looks like a dogs breakfast. Forget a straight tippet with the fly landing first (ROFLMAO). Now in the salt fishing streamers this is fine. Its where I want it to be (sort of) and I'm going to be straightening the leader when I retrieve it so I sometimes go for the hero cast. But that much running line on the deck? It catches on everything. My toes, the so called hidden cleats, the trolling motor, itself, any conceivable object. Plus as you say, assuming a fish hits it before you take up the slack, its just going to mock you. I like to keep it forty to sixty feet, and shorter if I can get away with it. Others can do better I'm sure, but for me, that's about the limit if I want any decent degree of control.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How far can you cast?

This thread has had a long life. When I put it up there had been a great deal of discussion on distance casting and that was why I posted the poll. looking through the replies I can see that everyone at one time or another tries to dump out a whole line. Sometimes we don't tell anyone but the 'how far can I cast thing' is always in the background.

I mess with my Spey rods now more than traditional fly rods. Having torn up my right shoulder a few times I don't know if I can still clear the tip top with the line to backing knot anymore. With the Spey rods I consider 100 feet to be a really long cast but don't try that very often. Generally I fish under 80 feet with Spey rods and under 50 with my single hand fly rods. It is good to see that we all enjoy casting a whole bunch!

Ard
jslo likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;