The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Far Can You Cast?
A full fly line + some backing 100' 32 18.71%
70 or 80' you can see backing 47 27.49%
40 or 50' nice distance but cant see backing 50 29.24%
Just started and are learning to cast 10 5.85%
50' to 70' far enough for most fish 32 18.71%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 AM

jcl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How far can you cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I assume these are fishing distances and in that case these distances include a ... rod

Hey, I get to add another eight and a half feet to what I thought I could cast!

I mostly fish small waters, so I've never had the incentive to learn to cast farther, but every now and then I realize my limitations. I'm probably at the point where I need either a class or an experienced caster to help me work out a few idiosyncracies. If I'd ever take a trip to big water, I'd probably take a casting class.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:21 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

With my 6 wt rod I can get about 60 ft, including a 9 ft leader out straight. With my 8 wt a bit more. This is in my yard. On the water, it seems to be somewhat less.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:12 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I made a 175' cast thismorning with a 7'6'' 2 wt, haha just kidding.
With the right rod and line I can push 100' but, 80 to 90 is most of the time what I do on longer cast.
One thing I have noticed is there is almost always a guy or two on the river that start with these cast(80-100'), thats fine its their fishing time but they "line" many closer fish that they may have been able to hook up first.
Bear
Old 12-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Practice casting I can cast 80' to backing. I think LONG CAST are important to know, specially with the SALT WATER or large rivers that are unwadeable, plus the gulpers.

But I think the line is as important is not more than the rod.
I can cast my sharkskin on a glass rod to the backing.

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:49 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I just wanted to add i am using a 9wt TFO TICR X with a 9wt airflo intermediate ridge line. I need wide open spaces put me in a river with over hanging branches and i will end up getting hurt.
Jim
Old 12-12-2008, 06:49 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

I can cast all plus a little backing on a good day with little wind. Not with accuracy though. I catch most my fish within 50' so there is never really a time I cast further than 40-50' while fishing. I catch lots of fish in the 20-25' area.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Right on KRD. I actually catch most my river fish right in front of me, at times 5'. But, I do start short and work my way out. But I have fished sections of the snake that I could not wade out, so those longer cast are a must.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:36 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Practice casting I can cast 80' to backing. I think LONG CAST are important to know, specially with the SALT WATER or large rivers that are unwadeable, plus the gulpers.

But I think the line is as important is not more than the rod.
I can cast my sharkskin on a glass rod to the backing.

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said.
As a non gear-head, I was surprised to discover how much difference it made this summer when I upgraded my equipment. I don't have anything fancy, but just having a little bit nicer rod not only added distance to my cast but added ease to the short casts. I knew that would be true, but I was surprised how much nicer it was.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:05 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

400 yards (but that's off the top of a mountain ).
Old 12-13-2008, 12:12 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I wish one of the choices was 'All of the above'!

The park I practice in has a small tree exactly 100' from the crack in the sidewalk I stand at. I can hit that tree with a five-weight rig regularly, but not always at will.
Like Randy, I practice cast a lot and enjoy the heck out of that and casting competitions. The Fly Fishing Masters a few years ago got me hooked on that. I can't think of a better place to pick up tips and pick the brains of the best unless you have good FFF conclaves like we do here in the Southeast. Who is better to learn from than folks like Bruce Richards and Steve Rajeff?
There's no down side to casting well. It is an integral part of what we do.

This week we were in the parking lot talking about casting before a club meeting started. One of the guys said he had no need to cast over 10' as that is where he catches all of his fish. Someone told him he should see all the fish at 12'!