The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Far Can You Cast?
A full fly line + some backing 100' 32 19.05%
70 or 80' you can see backing 46 27.38%
40 or 50' nice distance but cant see backing 49 29.17%
Just started and are learning to cast 10 5.95%
50' to 70' far enough for most fish 31 18.45%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 12:25 PM

PotomacBassBug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How far can you cast?

Hardyreels ... I was the one who raised point that there was a range of 20 feet that was not accounted for as distance ranges in the original poll. As a total newbie on this board I sure don't want to get in the middle of a spat, but I'll take the heat (if any) for raising the issue initially. I saw the modification as helpful.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ard,

I apologize for adding the distance you left out. I stand with my comments. I also get an opinion. If you have any further comments please send me a PM.

Frank
Old 12-14-2008, 09:14 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

One of the things I like about fly casting as a sport, is that I can do it by myself and compete against myself.

I guess I would like to see more tournaments with off-the-rack rods. I think that would help the sport grow.

The Best-of-the-West tournaments are great, but what about us guys in the East?

Randy
Old 12-14-2008, 10:21 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

The furthest I've measured one of my casts was 73'. I have cast further than that in the back yard, but didn't bother to measure those casts. If I made a cast that far on the streams I tend to fish, the fly would end up in brush up the bank on the other side of the stream! Most of my stream casts are in the 15 - 25 ft range.

When I practice, I start with the casting motion to reinforce that and then spend time on accuracy. I've received a lot of complements from guides on being able to put the fly where they tell me. I think the last one was toying with me. He kept giving me ever smaller places b/w branches to put the fly. He finally stopped when I put one in a space of just a few inches b/w branches with major thorns - from a moving boat! That's when I figured out what he was doing - there was no way that fly was going to drift anywhere from that spot! Anyway, for where I fish, accuracy is far more important than distance.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:40 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
One of the things I like about fly casting as a sport, is that I can do it by myself and compete against myself.

I guess I would like to see more tournaments with off-the-rack rods. I think that would help the sport grow.

The Best-of-the-West tournaments are great, but what about us guys in the East?

Randy
We're working on some sort of formal casting contest here in the southeast. The Carolina Fly Fishing Club has informal courses set-up at certain events, but more for fun and bragging rights. A few of us would like to see that expanded to something more formal.

BlueDun, In every casting event I've entered, accuracy trumped distance every time. The distance leg of the competition scored less that the accuracy but gave definite chest-thumping rights!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jackster,

I think the Best of the West contest have a very simple format that may be the best for fishermen. Everyone uses the same rods and lines making it a contest of casting skill instead of equipment.

Frank
Old 12-14-2008, 04:54 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Jackster,

I think the Best of the West contest have a very simple format that may be the best for fishermen. Everyone uses the same rods and lines making it a contest of casting skill instead of equipment.

Frank
At the Masters we had to use factory-made, 9', 5 weight rods built by the manufacturer of our choice. We were given the line to use (SA Expert Distance) and had to use minium length of a 7.5" leader with a hookless fly provided by the hosts.
We had a contest where the rod was provided. Those who used that same rod as their go-to rod definately had an edge up on those who weren't as familiar with it. Though I bet if Rajeff or someone like that showed up the rod probably wouldn't matter! We're mere mortals!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Jackster,

Frank

You are so right on the showing of skills, but as far as the same rods. They do offer 3 or 4 choices. I was surprised last year the TFO was one and guess what...TFO and St Croix are tho be used this year. Two mid range rods stepping up to the plate.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I've always thought it would be fun to get involved with the Casting Competition, but I would hate to see a bunch of grown men crying. Ok, Ok, so what if they would be crying because of the poor casting attempt they had just witnessed.

I'm a good caster up to about 70' of fly line, after that I still tend to try and power it way to much and tend to dump the whole cast.

I really want to learn to Spey Cast. That looks like a whole bunch of fun.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 12-14-2008, 10:11 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I'm a good caster up to about 70' of fly line, after that I still tend to try and power it way to much and tend to dump the whole cast.

I hear ya, thats my problem when getting out past 80 feet or so I tend to try and over power and rush things, when I can stay in the grove and let things "flow' I can get out there a little into the backing with a good made fast rod.
Bear