The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Far Can You Cast?
A full fly line + some backing 100' 32 18.71%
70 or 80' you can see backing 47 27.49%
40 or 50' nice distance but cant see backing 50 29.24%
Just started and are learning to cast 10 5.85%
50' to 70' far enough for most fish 32 18.71%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How far can you cast?

Under perfect conditions I can lay down a cast which leaves the end of the fly line that is connected to my backing within a few inches from my rod tip.

Notice I stated under perfect conditions. I can not do this on a regular "hey show us how far you can cast" challenge. I have done it a handful of times in the park when practicing.

Learn to Double Haul your cast and you will see your distances increase rather quickly.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:33 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I usually cast 20' farther than Mike Holtum.
I ain't lying either.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:48 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

Dealing with smaller river and streams, I don't have to cast long distances. I can if I need to, location is more critical to me.

John
Old 12-31-2008, 10:57 AM

nearnuff is on a distinguished road

I am a newbe and have been reading some threads and felt I would like to add some imput to this thread. I deal a great deal with a number of flycasters and the main fault I see in casting is not understanding the difference between style and form. Anglers who learn on their own have a tendency to try and look like casters they have seen and wish to cast like. They look good but cannot cast distance and accurate casts. The reason is form IMO. Compentent flycasters cast with different style but the form is constant.
The problem in being satisfied with short casts is the misteaks in form are practiced over and over until they become ingrained and hard to correct. You may look good but the transition between potential and kinetic energy is never attained to the level you require for a long cast. I believe as others have stated that once you learn to cast long your short casts will be with ease and accuracy.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:43 PM

cujo is on a distinguished road

I answered 70-80' in the poll. We take one of those Surveyor's 100' measuring tapes out to check our distance. My longest cast to date with a 5wt. was with a Sage XP (95').
Old 03-10-2010, 12:10 PM

silverleapers is on a distinguished road

Too many factors to consider...with a 6 foot Lee Wulff in the wind and up to my waist in water....not far. With my 10 foot GLX and a long triangle tape..the whole thing IF I'm on dry land, a dock, boat, etc....up to my waist in water with a driving wind with a huge #2 dry fly....not that far for sure....at least not all day. With my 15 spey rod...longer than is sensible to be casting when trying to target a fish.

So I didn't vote.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleapers View Post
With my 15 spey rod...longer than is sensible to be casting when trying to target a fish.

Hey another guy with a 15' rod! I've got a 15' 8/9 Meiser I can put a rediculous amount of line out with. I love it.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I don't even know, never have tried to see how far. I'm sure it would probably be a little farther using my 9' pole instead of my 7' 6" pole.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:33 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Time to collect more data on this one

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Ard....can't answer this question....far enough to catch fish?