The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Far Can You Cast?
A full fly line + some backing 100' 32 18.71%
70 or 80' you can see backing 47 27.49%
40 or 50' nice distance but cant see backing 50 29.24%
Just started and are learning to cast 10 5.85%
50' to 70' far enough for most fish 32 18.71%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 02:05 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: How far can you cast?

I got out and gave it a go last week a wee bit windy tho, I was getting 70-80 I just couldnt get further this time, but on ocassions I can get 6-9 ft of backing out of the rod tip (no wind only and with my floating line) I was casting a 6wt sinking line and 7ft leader on my graphite kilwell rod (15 yrs old and fairly basic)

Reality is I never need to cast more than 30-40 for trout

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Casting is the easy part..When fishing distances over 40' the primary point of conflict to the angler is line maintenance and mending.

Herein lies the best of the casters, the ones that can maintain a natural drift or hit the cup and start an immediate strip at those distances.

Casting is one of my true pleasures and yet I feel it is a bit over rated. Dont try tossing 30' of shooting head out with a full 90' line if you aren't ready for a mess. Steel.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 AM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

I cast far enough to catch fish... On lakes usually only HAVE to cast 30'-45', so actually 40'(ish)-55'(ish) including my leader, to catch fish. Anything beyond that and I will just position myself better. On rivers I rarely have to cast further then 20' or 30'(ish) with my leader to accomplish my goals.

I don't know, I just personally don't see a point outside of surf casting to really cast beyond that. I think I could if I tried but I never have to nor do I ever have the backcast room on the waters I like.

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I recently just upgraded my 5 wt rod, and it made quite a bit of difference for me on distance. Then again, I havn't measured my cast with my old rod for a couple of years and I assume that I have become a better caster since the last time I measured. With my 9'5wt TFO PRO and 4 years of fly-casting experience I measured from my feet to where the fly landed some casts of 65 ft, never hit 70. With my BIIX (and 6 years experience) I can double-haul 65' without feeling out of control at all. I can really push things (and risk being smacked in the back of the ear with a fly) and I have hit the mid 80's from my feet to the fly. Now you got me curious. I'm heading out to the yard with the tape measure to try double-hauling the TFO Pro.

What I am more encouraged by is me Sage TXL 4 wt 7'10". I almost hit 65ft with that using a WF. If I can hit that distance ill get alot more versatility out of this rod than I expected.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Hey Ard...
I'm not sure if you are going to get any more info on this, the poll is closed. Is there any way a moderator can open the poll back up?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I've spent a LOT of time and $$$ matching rods to lines to me. That said, I can shoot the entire line on any of them (because of the matching work). I have never in my fishing life needed to do that. My first session out on the lawn (which is covered with snow) after rotator cuff surgery, I shot the 8wt into the backing. No biggie and no brag, its all about the match. Anyone can do it, equipped with the right stuff. (oh, now there's an opening line...or, as they would say in journalism school, I buried the lead).
Happy casting,
Gary
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Strangely since I'm a little bit on the competitive side, but truthfully only a little bit, I have never measured my casts. There are times when I'm fishing I wish I could cast further, but not often. While fishing or going to a local pond to practice casting I do work on accurancy at whatever my furthest distance and everything in between. I also work on my distance. I've been told by one of the members in our Fly Fishing club that I have a very good casting stroke and though as I've mentioned numerous times, I prefer a moderate to moderate-fast rod I am able to easily adjust my casting stroke for any rod action.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:00 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Usually I can cast just the right amount to reach the fish I'm fishing to, with the exception of that behemoth brown that keeps rising just out of reach, and I can't step any deeper or I go over my wader tops, and, to add insult to injury, he keeps "finning" me off every time he rises...

Kelly.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
he keeps "finning" me off every time he rises...
omg lmao!!!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:48 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Usually I can cast just the right amount to reach the fish I'm fishing to, with the exception of that behemoth brown that keeps rising just out of reach, and I can't step any deeper or I go over my wader tops, and, to add insult to injury, he keeps "finning" me off every time he rises...

Kelly.
Funny, we are after the same fish...arghhh!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:08 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Funny, we are after the same fish...arghhh!
I'm sure he's a world traveler and uses the underground aquifers to get from one place to another. Like the old East German guard towers, he probably has our pictures on file and gets his jollies from our frustration...

Kelly.