The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Far Can You Cast?
A full fly line + some backing 100' 32 19.05%
70 or 80' you can see backing 46 27.38%
40 or 50' nice distance but cant see backing 49 29.17%
Just started and are learning to cast 10 5.95%
50' to 70' far enough for most fish 31 18.45%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 05:06 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How far can you cast?

Only been casting since January and a typical long cast is 45 feet, when everything clicks just right 55 feet. I have noticed when reaching past 50 I start hooking my fly line and I rarely ever do that at 40 feet or less.

Dave
Old 03-26-2011, 01:50 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

I don't understand how you can stretch all of your fly line out and some backing! That's crazy to me, any videos of that, I would like to see. What if a fish takes your fly?

Tight Lines
Scott
Old 03-26-2011, 02:16 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Last year I spent a huge portion of the early season working on long distance casts. I felt that since I spent so much time in a tube I needed to be able to cast 80' consistently. Well, without hauling I could sometimes cast about 70' of flyline, a few times I did beter than that, but more often I could only throw about 50'. When I figured out how to single haul I got another 10 or 15 ft, but my ability to throw 70' became a lot more consistent.

However, as the year went by, I found that I almost never had to throw 70 feet of flyline to catch fish. In fact, because I was tube fishing so much, about half the time the fish were practically within spitting distance, inside 30 ft. Accuracy and presentation were much more important factors to having a successful day fishing.

However, I also was in some wading situations where my casting ability, particularly distance casting, was not up to reaching the fish. So this year I've been working on double hauling, so that next time I will reach those fish. Those kinds of situations in my case might make up less than 10% of my fishing. The rest of the time my average distance might be 30 feet. But I'll have to be accurate enough to drop the fly in sideways on a spot about the size of a softball while avoiding some low hanging branches in a twenty knot crosswind.

I see it kind of like golf: Drive for show, putt for dough.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-26-2011, 10:00 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Being that I learned to cast for saltwater species first, with a properly matched line and rod I was pulling a bit of backing off the reel when I got it down. 90% of my trout fishing with a single handed rod is done on waters where 40' would be considered bombing it out there, now with the double handed rig I find myself over-casting. Roughly 14' tapered mono leader, 36' Scandi head,and about 80' of running line all sails when I get my timing right. The problem is the fish are lying only 40' out! Its almost too fun casting a two handed rod!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
now with the double handed rig I find myself over-casting. Roughly 14' tapered mono leader, 36' Scandi head,and about 80' of running line all sails when I get my timing right. The problem is the fish are lying only 40' out! Its almost too fun casting a two handed rod!
But it's so fun, how can you not? I could cast all day, catch nothing, and still be happy. 15' 8/9 Meiser and a 15' 10/11 Albright, and I'm considering a longer rod so I can toss long belly lines just to get distance for fun.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty pretty happy with and 80' foot on a single hand rod. I only have two reasons for a cast that long though:
1. Wading in the surf and needing to get past the wash
2. To impressing myself.
Most times I just move the boat, it's easier on my shoulder...
Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't normally practice casting but this evening I wanted to rig up so I could be ready to fish at first light. After stringing the rod I thought why not cast a few for measurement. I was hitting 65 consistently and 70 was my longest. I measured from where I stood to where the end of the tippet lay. Using a 9' 5wt mid-flex.

That's about 20 feet longer than my last measurement in the spring.

Dave
Old 07-31-2011, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This will stir up the distance pot!

With my curiosity killing me, I rigged my 7' 9" Far & Fine 5 weight the other day and took the tape measure out in the lawn. I placed a white hand towel on the spot where I stood and a roll of paper towels standing on end at the point where my casts were landing. The distance between these 2 markers was 77 feet.

Here's the thing to stir replies, these casts are 90% wrist with little to no arm extension. I would say that 10% of the energy in the cast motion is contributed by forearm movement and short hauls made by the left hand. All other energy and control are provided by the movement of my right wrist. The casts were accurate (within a couple feet right or left) with some laying in direct line to the roll of towels.

With this said I have to believe that the Far & Fine is by far the best fly rod I ever bought and would recommend any pre 1985 models of this rod with no reservations whatever.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-15-2011, 09:37 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

not far enough
Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
This will stir up the distance pot!

With my curiosity killing me, I rigged my 7' 9" Far & Fine 5 weight the other day and took the tape measure out in the lawn. I placed a white hand towel on the spot where I stood and a roll of paper towels standing on end at the point where my casts were landing. The distance between these 2 markers was 77 feet.

Here's the thing to stir replies, these casts are 90% wrist with little to no arm extension. I would say that 10% of the energy in the cast motion is contributed by forearm movement and short hauls made by the left hand. All other energy and control are provided by the movement of my right wrist. The casts were accurate (within a couple feet right or left) with some laying in direct line to the roll of towels.

With this said I have to believe that the Far & Fine is by far the best fly rod I ever bought and would recommend any pre 1985 models of this rod with no reservations whatever.

Ard

nice work ard!
i've never personally fished a far and fine but have certainly heard of there reputation
i have never actually measured one of my casts, but i would say i would max out at 85 feet or so.
that being said, i feel my casting is proficient at 35-45 feet and thats my absolute target distance.

casey

ARFE