The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Far Can You Cast?
A full fly line + some backing 100' 32 18.71%
70 or 80' you can see backing 47 27.49%
40 or 50' nice distance but cant see backing 50 29.24%
Just started and are learning to cast 10 5.85%
50' to 70' far enough for most fish 32 18.71%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 10:26 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How far can you cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
This will stir up the distance pot!

With my curiosity killing me, I rigged my 7' 9" Far & Fine 5 weight the other day and took the tape measure out in the lawn. I placed a white hand towel on the spot where I stood and a roll of paper towels standing on end at the point where my casts were landing. The distance between these 2 markers was 77 feet.

Here's the thing to stir replies, these casts are 90% wrist with little to no arm extension. I would say that 10% of the energy in the cast motion is contributed by forearm movement and short hauls made by the left hand. All other energy and control are provided by the movement of my right wrist. The casts were accurate (within a couple feet right or left) with some laying in direct line to the roll of towels.

With this said I have to believe that the Far & Fine is by far the best fly rod I ever bought and would recommend any pre 1985 models of this rod with no reservations whatever.

Ard
Sounds like that one works for you Ard. I've found one that works equally well for me. My closeout TXL is one that I taped out in the yard. It is a 7'10" 4 wt. I've got an 80' DT line on it and I can cast all but 12' of the line. Including, the 9' of rod and arm, and then the 9' of leader, I'm reaching out to about 85' with this 4wt! More importantly I am hitting within 3 ft right or left of my target. I can cast other rods this far, but it is far more wild and erratic. For whatever reason, it just clicks with me very well.

Ard, on a side note; I did cast a 100' line finally this summer. I ended up getting a smallie rig put together and the line just FLIES off of this thing. It is a Mystic 9'3" with a Rio Grand line.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:15 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Here yah go O MyKiss

Dave
Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be interesting to see how many of us can cast farther now that this thread is back, than we could the first time it was posted. I can thanks to the distance obsession of my Canadian fishing buddy Bill. The biggest trouble I have with casting far in a real fishing type situation is what do you do with all that line? Plus backing does not come out of my stripping baskets very well. It tends to grab stuff and stop the cast. Here is a photo of my line in my stripping basket, and the backing out on the grass. This was in the park in town and I was putting a clouser on the other side of the channel with my 10wt. Winston. This was actually fishing. Casting far is seriously fun.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Pretty sure the better rods/lines and the double haul have made a big difference in my casting over the last year or so. I picked up a Sage VXP 9wt 9' in September and measured my best cast on grass at 87' from reel to hookless fly.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:56 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

With my 8wt when I was chasing carp in September I had a few casts make it to very near my backing using a double-haul. However, I'm beginning to realize that the line I have on the rod is a half- to a full weight to light so it's not getting the full power of the load. I'm thinking of picking up some decent saltwater line for Christmas, so we'll see what my casts do on the flats! I'm certainly not going to be Dan's super-friend though, casting into his backing with half the rod...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
With my 8wt when I was chasing carp in September I had a few casts make it to very near my backing using a double-haul. However, I'm beginning to realize that the line I have on the rod is a half- to a full weight to light..
Consider rethinking that. I can always throw farther with a lighter line than the rod likes for ordinary fishing. I think the lighter line taxes the rod less and allows one to carry a lot more line.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Maybe I'll have to cast it more before deciding then! I haven't done a lot of distance casting on the 8wt since I bumped down to the 6 for a lot of the fish I was targeting, but I'll be using the 8 for salt over the holidays. I'll stick with the line I have for a few days before I go and make an expensive mistake, haha.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-16-2011, 10:10 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Usually I can cast just the right amount to reach the fish I'm fishing to, with the exception of that behemoth brown that keeps rising just out of reach, and I can't step any deeper or I go over my wader tops, and, to add insult to injury, he keeps "finning" me off every time he rises...
Kelly.
I'm with you Kelly & others I just cast enough to where the fish are,very seldom they are out of reach.
Just yesterday I was talking to The Guy who runs The Tackle Shop/Sports Store,he said a friend of his was Fishing our Local Lake when he saw a Big Fish,he Threw many Flies at it however it kept looking however it wouldn't take any of his Flies,all he could do was get a picture of it so I'm going to see if he'll take one of your Parasol Emergera as more than likely it has been caught before.
Brian
Old 12-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I'm beginning to realize that the line I have on the rod is a half- to a full weight to light so it's not getting the full power of the load...... and ........I'm certainly not going to be Dan's super-friend though, casting into his backing with half the rod...
Actually that line being light should help you cast farther. Just carry more line in the air before you shoot.

That's something to see done. I watched him carry an entire 90' 3wt. line in the air, and 100' of 5 wt. line. He's amazing. It was a 4wt. line he put over 100' with the top half of a rod.

Here's another good one. 120' RIO Gold competition line shot out of the rod from his knee.
" title="Rio Gold 120' comp line video by fishnwflies - Photobucket" target="_blank">Rio Gold 120' comp line video by fishnwflies - Photobucket
Old 12-17-2011, 07:47 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
It would be interesting to see how many of us can cast farther now that this thread is back, than we could the first time it was posted. I can thanks to the distance obsession of my Canadian fishing buddy Bill. The biggest trouble I have with casting far in a real fishing type situation is what do you do with all that line? Plus backing does not come out of my stripping baskets very well. It tends to grab stuff and stop the cast. Here is a photo of my line in my stripping basket, and the backing out on the grass. This was in the park in town and I was putting a clouser on the other side of the channel with my 10wt. Winston. This was actually fishing. Casting far is seriously fun.
Click the image to open in full size.
I has the same problem when I use the basket. Two things to consider:
1. Make a solid stripping basket, the loops squeezing out of the openings will slow down your line.
2. When I'm throwing alot of line I put the basket on my hip and take long strips. I don't let go of the line until my stripping hand hits the far corner of the basket. If you keep your strips a consistant length the line will coil in the basket a little better.