The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Far Can You Cast?
A full fly line + some backing 100' 33 18.97%
70 or 80' you can see backing 49 28.16%
40 or 50' nice distance but cant see backing 50 28.74%
Just started and are learning to cast 10 5.75%
50' to 70' far enough for most fish 32 18.39%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 09:45 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: How far can you cast?

Finally! I get the chance to tell that I had Steve Rajeff gillie for me!
At the S/E FFF Conclave a few years ago Steve was a speaker and demonstrator. The cool part is that he hung with us castaholics out in the casting field and lent a hand where needed.
He brought out his monster fly casting rod used for setting the world fly casting distance record. It was a looong two-hander that he demonstrated using a shooting head.

The reason I brought this up is because he asked if anyone else would like to try it. No one stepped up to the plate so I did.
The first thing Steve did was dispersed the running line out on the lawn in front and to the left of me very large loops or waves (can't quite recall exactly)
There was a ton of running line to be layed out and despite the grass trying to grab the line it soared freely as far as he or I could cast.
I did the longest cast of my life for sure but not without almost losing my right ear!

When I practice the line lays on the sidewalk at my casting area.
If I'm getting serious and know I'll be on grass I bring an old Army blanket to lay the line on. It grabs the line enough to keep it off the grass yet lets the line flow freely. The poly tarp I tried was just too slick.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
2. When I'm throwing alot of line I put the basket on my hip and take long strips. I don't let go of the line until my stripping hand hits the far corner of the basket. If you keep your strips a consistant length the line will coil in the basket a little better.
I didn't seem to have much trouble getting the line out of the basket, it's the backing that I had the trouble with. That's why is out on the grass. My friend Bill just puts everything on the grass, but he has so much power that if the grass even thinks about hanging on something it just clips it. I have clover flowers grab line bad, but he can cast hard enough to pretty much tank them off too. I like my stripping basket on my side also. I made one where it hangs pretty low. Its large and has solid sides. I like it the best of all of mine. It's kinda hard to tell here, but it hangs with the top lower than the bottom of my pants pocket. I made it with a pretty interesting strap arrangement.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:18 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I didn't seem to have much trouble getting the line out of the basket, it's the backing that I had the trouble with. That's why is out on the grass. My friend Bill just puts everything on the grass, but he has so much power that if the grass even thinks about hanging on something it just clips it. I have clover flowers grab line bad, but he can cast hard enough to pretty much tank them off too. I like my stripping basket on my side also. I made one where it hangs pretty low. Its large and has solid sides. I like it the best of all of mine. It's kinda hard to tell here, but it hangs with the top lower than the bottom of my pants pocket. I made it with a pretty interesting strap arrangement.
Wish I could carry mine that low, the surf won't allow it. Some of the saltwater guys out this way use braided mono instead of running line or behind a full line. It's easier to cast than backing. If your using heads it takes up a lot less space than a running line so you can load more on the reel and don't have to shoot into your backing. I try to avoid because I don't like the way it feels but some guys love it.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:02 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i can cast up until my backing is out of my reel but thats my limit
Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Wish I could carry mine that low, the surf won't allow it. Some of the saltwater guys out this way use braided mono instead of running line or behind a full line. It's easier to cast than backing. If your using heads it takes up a lot less space than a running line so you can load more on the reel and don't have to shoot into your backing. I try to avoid because I don't like the way it feels but some guys love it.
I like having it that low because it makes for comfortable long strips. As for the backing thing, on my 15' Meiser I added more running line. The AirFlo Delta Tactical Spey line is a good line but if it was 20 or 30 feet longer it would be a great line. I have a Trevor Morgan line on my 15' Albright, and at 140 feet I still have running line on the reel. That is a great line. My Canadian friend uses 30 lb. Mono a lot instead of backing because it shoots better.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:52 PM

canonman is on a distinguished road

Distance casting can be a good thing as said before because if your distance is longer it does help in the difficult times with wind and heavy flies. The rod weight and changing to upper weight rods plays a roll as well. Myself, I'm a 70' caster with a 6wt on a good day... 110' with 8wt and can look like a idiot with a 12wt (don't get much practice with this)
Old 02-14-2012, 03:40 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I took a tape measure to the park on a windy afternoon.
Managed a few 80' casts with a 11wt and 10wt floating line.
I need to get back to the park and try on a calmer day.
My dog, who goes fishing all the time, was freaked out by the park casting... I think I may have whipped him on the back cast.

I have shot most of my 5wt line, but never measured it. TBD

I tied a practice fly out of marabou on a doubled chunk of old fly line.

I like the act of distance casting in itself. Not many places it is necessary in CO, but it should help out on lakes next summer. It has also helped to survey large chunks of river with streamers. Usually aim is more important than distance where I normally fish.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:18 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

How far can I cast?

Far enough, most of the time, but never when I really need to.

I hope to never have the need or desire to actually measure how far I can cast in a park. I'm not directing at you Tbblom, just being general. Practicing distance casting, now that is a worthy use of weekend time. But what is the point of measuring it? Really, in the end, what is the point? So you can tell someone else, "I cast XX feet yesterday". I don't know. I'm sorry if I'm being harsh, I'm having one of those days, but it just seems like Machismo and I'd really prefer to keep that away from my fishing.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:48 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

This is one popular subject. When I get in the groove rattling off a 60ft cast isn't too hard. To get further than that I have to really focus on ALL the subtle nuances that can affect a fly cast, and even then I have to use the Double Haul to approach 100ft (which I don't believe I have ever hit).
Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

@ dean, no offense taken!
I thought casting at the park was pretty dumb at first too.

It wasn't until I got to fish a private lake this fall that I realized that I was missing fish that were just beyond my range. So I started reading up here on improving my cast; except it is hard to know if you are improving without having actually set some personal benchmark. This is where using a tape measure comes in (being a science geek, I happen to own a 60m tape).

And yeah, being macho is kind of rad still, even in 2012, even about fishing