The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Far Can You Cast?
A full fly line + some backing 100' 32 18.71%
70 or 80' you can see backing 47 27.49%
40 or 50' nice distance but cant see backing 50 29.24%
Just started and are learning to cast 10 5.85%
50' to 70' far enough for most fish 32 18.71%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How far can you cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
But what is the point of measuring it? Really, in the end, what is the point? it just seems like Machismo
Well for one thing, casting far is an art in itself. There are a lot of very small variables that can make a difference in how far you can cast. If you don't measure it, how do you know which ones help and which ones don't? Also I live on big water and on occasion, like this last Fall, a really far cast may not have been far enough to get to the fish. You may not need it where you are, and you may not see the sense in measuring it. I need the distance here and I also can see the need to measure it in some cases. If you still don't that's fine, but please don't be 'harsh' with those who do.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:47 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Well for one thing, casting far is an art in itself. There are a lot of very small variables that can make a difference in how far you can cast. If you don't measure it, how do you know which ones help and which ones don't? Also I live on big water and on occasion, like this last Fall, a really far cast may not have been far enough to get to the fish. You may not need it where you are, and you may not see the sense in measuring it. I need the distance here and I also can see the need to measure it in some cases. If you still don't that's fine, but please don't be 'harsh' with those who do.
i can respect the art of distance casting, just another facet of our sport. however, basing ones fishing skill/enjoyment on how far you can cast is false lived and not productive.
if it serves your fishing style, i.e. dan, by all means go all out!
if not, i would not worry about it.

casey

ARFE
Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i can respect the art of distance casting, just another facet of our sport. however, basing ones fishing skill/enjoyment on how far you can cast is false lived and not productive.
if it serves your fishing style, i.e. dan, by all means go all out!
if not, i would not worry about it.

casey
Way to jump to conclusions! "Basing ones fishing skill/enjoyment" is a bit of a stretch...
Also, posting in a thread that you have no interest in is kind of macho, especially when you post just to tell others what they do is dumb...
ie, if you don't like distance casting or measuring it; why even bother posting here? Just to prove that you measured out about 0.5" longer on the 'manhood scale

kind of funny, on a thread titled "how far can you cast?"
we get responses from people saying that "measuring a cast is machismo", yet the same people who disapprove of measuring are here being judgmental about those who do... So let me get this straight. Measuring a cast is pointless and machismo, but telling a complete stranger on the internet that what they do is pointless is a valuable way to spend time? sounds like we all have our own machismo issues...
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Out here on the wind swept high plains of Wyoming we can usually get a good 100 ft plus when casting towards Nebraska, a bit less if you try for Colorado or Montana and your cast really suffers when casting in the general direction of Utah! Sort of noticed the same thing happening when flats fishing also. One things certain the fish is always rising about ten feet further than I can cast and the wind doesn't seem to factor into that at all!
wannafish likes this.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
I thought casting at the park was pretty dumb at first too.
ttbblom, if you go back, I did not say that casting in a park is dumb. I have done my far share of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
If you still don't that's fine, but please don't be 'harsh' with those who do.
Sorry Dan, I did not mean to be harsh on anyone. I obviously struck a nerve judging by the reactions to my post. I was not criticizing distance casting, Dan. I understand that some styles of fishing require a a double haul and 100+ feet. The line you quoted from me said just that...my point is who cares if it is 86 feet or 92 feet? If you are just short of the fish with the best cast you have, the number doesn't mean anything.

My point was, actually measuring with a tape so that you know how many feet and inches you can cast doesn't matter at all except for bragging rights or competitions. Bragging rights are what I call machismo. My question was, what is the point? And I stand by it. When you are on the river or lake, you don't have a tape measure, you let your experience and memory go to work. Knowing the actual number of feet that my best cast every measured doesn't matter one bit. That is all I am saying.

Quote:
ie, if you don't like distance casting or measuring it; why even bother posting here?
It was a poll ttbblom, and one of the options is "far enough".

Once again, I didn't mean to offend or tick anyone off. This is an internet forum, we are all relative strangers and we come here seeking advice and recognition and support. That's what this is.

Again, sorry for offending anyone.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:59 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Way to jump to conclusions! "Basing ones fishing skill/enjoyment" is a bit of a stretch...
Also, posting in a thread that you have no interest in is kind of macho, especially when you post just to tell others what they do is dumb...
ie, if you don't like distance casting or measuring it; why even bother posting here? Just to prove that you measured out about 0.5" longer on the 'manhood scale

kind of funny, on a thread titled "how far can you cast?"
we get responses from people saying that "measuring a cast is machismo", yet the same people who disapprove of measuring are here being judgmental about those who do... So let me get this straight. Measuring a cast is pointless and machismo, but telling a complete stranger on the internet that what they do is pointless is a valuable way to spend time? sounds like we all have our own machismo issues...
read the first sentence of my post.
no hard feelings man

ARFE
Old 02-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Just for fun.................... I don't think I have posted any claims on this thread or any others to date. So, given the fact that I have been watching myself cast fly lines and their payloads for a long time I can safely say that I can cast farther than most, not as far as some, and always as far as I have to

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-18-2012, 09:25 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

hey guys, sorry for getting all fired up! I'll try another cup of coffee...

To me the best benefit of measuring is 'actually' having a known distance with which to estimate other casts.
People often say things like "I was laying down 50' casts", but it is always just an estimate.
With climbing routes, fishing casts, lake depth, quick building estimates, hiking trails... Knowing these lengths 'by heart' or intuitively comes with having done some measurement. For example, I could pretty easily say "we walked about 2 miles"; but this knowledge comes from having verified the 'feeling' of two miles with some actual mileage gauge over many years of life. Many people will talk about some estimated distance; what most people have not done is calibrate what they see to reality. Doing field research this becomes painfully obvious, most people have a hard time eyeballing 30 feet without walking a known amount of paces. Fishing is full of these unknowns, ie, "it was at least a 10lb. fish!" short of having a scale, it is all just a guess. Using a scale one can at least calibrate what they see with known quantities.
Likewise, I had no clue how far I was actually casting until I went to the park with the tape.
It is funny how the fish know to just go a little beyond whatever the angler's maximum is...

Any honest man will admit to having measured himself!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:59 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

If I want to cast long, as in fishing for cruisers in a lake from my tube, I use a 9'6" rod and one line size less than the rod rating. I can cast that rig pretty far unless it gets windy. This rig doesn't cast well at less than around 40' (yeah, I can do it, but it's not fun).
If I am fishing my little ankle deep cutthroat cricks, I use an 8' rod and overweight it by two line weights. Won't cast much over 30 feet, but don't need to.
I have watched fishermen make beautiful casts from the inside of a bend all the way across to the outside of the bend on fair sized streams. With proper mending, that will often work well. Someone who can't cast that far may choose to wade across downstream and then make 15 foot upstream casts from the bank as he moves upstream along the bend.
I guess my point is, distance casting has its place and is certainly beautiful to watch, but is not often necessary and in some cases makes catching fish more difficult.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A real good exchange of thought going on here folks, I reopened the poll.............I didn't realize it had stopped taking data last year

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;