The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   How Do You Organize Your Flies? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/7842-how-do-you-organize-your-flies.html)

HookEmHorns 02-11-2009 06:54 PM

How Do You Organize Your Flies?

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that is completely Obsessive Compulsive. lol So how do you organize your flies?
Sorry if this isn't very good. Never started a poll before....

1. By hook size
2. Water you will be fishing in (Freshwater, Saltwater, Streams, Lakes, You get the idea)
3. By fish you go for
4. By season
5. Other (Please specify)

Just trying to get some ideas. Thanks guys.

Troutwhisperer 02-11-2009 07:53 PM

Re: How Do You Organize Your Flies?

I out all of my flies in my boxes bye the type they are like all the nymphs have their own box, all my dries, and my streamers have their own boxes.

Inside i organize them by type like cadis and parachute and then i go by the flys name.

After that i go bye size from left being the biggest to right being the smallest

Confusing but thats how i organize it.

Shane Stroud 02-11-2009 08:59 PM

I do it more or less by species, but with a bit of difference. I have three fly boxes that I carry. One has all my dries, soft hackles, nymphs, scuds, and such. It's split between the sides, with wets on one side and dries on the other. The second is all bass poppers, big streamers, and bass flies. And the third is all buggers in various sizes and colors.

All my boxes are organized in truly organized OCD fashion though.

Joni 02-11-2009 09:14 PM

I set mine to what type of fly like already mentioned, but on streamers, I have one box with RABBIT streamers, one box with SOFTHACKLES (like Gartside) and one box with WOOLLIES
etc. then the box with Chronomids, one for Small Dries, one for LARGE foam dries, Nymps, etc.

I then have one small box that I keep empty, and load it with what flies I think I will need for whatever water I am fishing.

Hardyreels 02-12-2009 03:12 PM

I use both the species and the season when grabbing some flies for the pocket or boat bag. Even if fishing for King Salmon I'll always have a few dry flies and featherwings along in case I find more trout & char than salmon.

BigCliff 02-12-2009 03:27 PM

I haven't put this system fully into place yet, but I plan on setting up some boxes based on rod usage. I've been tying up some bigger and heavier flies that won't throw well on my 3 or 4wt that I normally fish. That said, it doesn't make sense to crowd those boxes with flies only castable on 6+ wt rods, or to frustrate myself by having the perfect fly looking at me with the wrong rod in my hand to throw it. So I think my new BuggerBarn will have quite a few larger floating flies as well, as they and the larger streamers will be attached to a 6wt.

FISHN50 02-12-2009 03:33 PM

Organize !!!! Your supposed to organize them ????
I'm of the " I think I put that fly in here " mentality. But I might just do that... What a concept.

Rip Tide 02-12-2009 04:44 PM

I fish a lot of different water so I have a separate vest or bag for each type of fishing. Each 'system' has their own fly boxes, reels, and other necessary equipment needed for what I'll be doing
That way I can just grab and go.
For instance, in my trout tote bag, there's my loaded vest, boxes of extra flies, reels with different weight lines, my wading staff, extra sun glasses, reading glassed, extra tippet spools..etc.
And I have a similar set-up for salt, salt-kayak, warmwater-canoe, trout-canoe, and summer stream smallies.
:frogdance

glassroddr 02-12-2009 07:04 PM

By species: boxes for trout, another for bass and finally another for pike/gar. The atlantic salmon flies have their own fly wallet. I like to be able to take off on a moments notice, especially for trout.:icon_wink

jclampwork88 02-13-2009 11:22 PM

type of fly/bug they represent. ex caddis, streamer, dry, etc.

John