The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Do You Organize Your Flies?
Hook Size 8 13.11%
Water you will fish in (Lakes, Streams, Freshwater, Saltwater) 6 9.84%
Fish you are fishing for 23 37.70%
Season 0 0%
Other (Please Specify) 24 39.34%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 05:54 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default How Do You Organize Your Flies?

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that is completely Obsessive Compulsive. lol So how do you organize your flies?
Sorry if this isn't very good. Never started a poll before....

1. By hook size
2. Water you will be fishing in (Freshwater, Saltwater, Streams, Lakes, You get the idea)
3. By fish you go for
4. By season
5. Other (Please specify)

Just trying to get some ideas. Thanks guys.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:53 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How Do You Organize Your Flies?

I out all of my flies in my boxes bye the type they are like all the nymphs have their own box, all my dries, and my streamers have their own boxes.

Inside i organize them by type like cadis and parachute and then i go by the flys name.

After that i go bye size from left being the biggest to right being the smallest

Confusing but thats how i organize it.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 02-11-2009, 07:59 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I do it more or less by species, but with a bit of difference. I have three fly boxes that I carry. One has all my dries, soft hackles, nymphs, scuds, and such. It's split between the sides, with wets on one side and dries on the other. The second is all bass poppers, big streamers, and bass flies. And the third is all buggers in various sizes and colors.

All my boxes are organized in truly organized OCD fashion though.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I set mine to what type of fly like already mentioned, but on streamers, I have one box with RABBIT streamers, one box with SOFTHACKLES (like Gartside) and one box with WOOLLIES
etc. then the box with Chronomids, one for Small Dries, one for LARGE foam dries, Nymps, etc.

I then have one small box that I keep empty, and load it with what flies I think I will need for whatever water I am fishing.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I use both the species and the season when grabbing some flies for the pocket or boat bag. Even if fishing for King Salmon I'll always have a few dry flies and featherwings along in case I find more trout & char than salmon.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I haven't put this system fully into place yet, but I plan on setting up some boxes based on rod usage. I've been tying up some bigger and heavier flies that won't throw well on my 3 or 4wt that I normally fish. That said, it doesn't make sense to crowd those boxes with flies only castable on 6+ wt rods, or to frustrate myself by having the perfect fly looking at me with the wrong rod in my hand to throw it. So I think my new BuggerBarn will have quite a few larger floating flies as well, as they and the larger streamers will be attached to a 6wt.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:33 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Organize !!!! Your supposed to organize them ????
I'm of the " I think I put that fly in here " mentality. But I might just do that... What a concept.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:44 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish a lot of different water so I have a separate vest or bag for each type of fishing. Each 'system' has their own fly boxes, reels, and other necessary equipment needed for what I'll be doing
That way I can just grab and go.
For instance, in my trout tote bag, there's my loaded vest, boxes of extra flies, reels with different weight lines, my wading staff, extra sun glasses, reading glassed, extra tippet spools..etc.
And I have a similar set-up for salt, salt-kayak, warmwater-canoe, trout-canoe, and summer stream smallies.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:04 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

By species: boxes for trout, another for bass and finally another for pike/gar. The atlantic salmon flies have their own fly wallet. I like to be able to take off on a moments notice, especially for trout.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:22 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

type of fly/bug they represent. ex caddis, streamer, dry, etc.

John