The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What brand of hook do you prefer?
Tiemco / TMC 25 36.23%
Mustad 27 39.13%
Daiichi 6 8.70%
Gamakatsu 7 10.14%
Lightning Strike 0 0%
Partridge 1 1.45%
Other 3 4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 05:40 PM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road
Default What brand of hook do you prefer?

What brand of hooks do you prefer and why?

Just getting into tying, I recently purchased a fairly wide selection of Mustad Signature hooks to start off with. Seem to be pretty good quality for the price. I'd like to think that even if I don't have a specific hook called for by a particular pattern that I'll at last have something pretty close. I'm not sure how many unique considerations there are for fly fishing hooks or how the specific manufacturers quality rate amongst each other.

Scott
Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 PM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What brand of hook do you prefer?

At one time, Mustad was the standard, at least here in the States. Don't know what changed that - I've used them for years, never had any problems, will continue to use them as long as they're reasonably priced (unlike some of their competitors). Like in so many other aspects of fly fishing, the desire by some to jump on anything labeled 'premium' only serves to drive the price up and, in some cases (like Mustads old standard line of perfectly adequate hooks), turn 'ordinary' into 'obsolete'. Yes, it p*sses me off - can you tell?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I'm just getting into tying also. I put "other". Not that it's another hook preference, but because I don't have the confidence to deviate from the hook in the recipe. So far I've used Mustad, TMC, and Daiichi. No breakage yet, and I've been bending down the barbs with needle nose pliers. Beginners luck maybe.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I use allot of Tiemco like the 200R, and they are the only ones that made a #30 #32's but I use Mustad for every thing. I do like the Gamakatsu G15-vertical eye however.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:36 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I tie mostly on Daiichi hooks (FYI - Daiichi is Japanesse for "number one"; dai = number, ichi = one). But for small soft hackles, I like the Teimco 102Y series black hooks a lot; they really show off the body of the fly and sometimes I can convince myself that on a gray day the black hook almost disappears in the water. Do I catch more fish on the 102Y hooks.............oh, of course I do!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

A while back I posted about Mustad dropping their classic line of hooks and how this was going to drive the price up and all that. Well I saw the new stuff at BPS the other day and the price really wasn't all that diff't. I think a bigger price per hook change happened when they switched from 100 packs to 50 packs.

Auntie Em, you were indeed correct.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:27 AM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

Hi BigCliff,

May have been in that same post, but didn't you make a statement about TMC being brittle? Is that just a relative difference compared to other brands (e.g. thinner wire, hardened too much, etc...) or did you have a specific/one-time bad experience that's turned you off of them for life (e.g. you had the fish of a lifetime and it got away because "the hook broke..honest...") Just curious.

Scott
Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I've always sworn by Mustad hooks but I have tried Daiichi, TMC & Tiemco & don't have any complaints with them... At the Somerset NJ FF show there were a couple of vendors selling Saber Hooks & I picked up a few packs in various sizes. They all passed the vise bend test & are pretty darn sharp.
Has anyone used these hooks & what do you think of them... The price was right so I figured i'd give them a try....
Old 02-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooler00 View Post
Hi BigCliff,

May have been in that same post, but didn't you make a statement about TMC being brittle? Is that just a relative difference compared to other brands (e.g. thinner wire, hardened too much, etc...) or did you have a specific/one-time bad experience that's turned you off of them for life (e.g. you had the fish of a lifetime and it got away because "the hook broke..honest...") Just curious.

Scott
High carbon steel is just generally more brittle than what Mustad uses. I prefer hooks that bend rather than breaking. This tends to reduce chances of fishing a hookless fly for hours because you smacked it on a rock just wrong or whatever.

I also recall in my early years in the sport hearing from a super-expert tyer near Dallas named Mike Verduin of a bass bug that took him like two hours, before the point broke off in the vise as he was whip finishing it. I've not had that happen, but I have had points break completely off while smashing barbs. I can't say for sure that they were on TMC's, but I know they weren't Mustad's.

That said, Tiemco hooks absolutely start out sharper than Mustad hooks do. And I've been tying on some I got via a smokin deal on Madison River Fishing Company - Ennis, Montana. 200R 100pks for about $10.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Cliff, it is not just you. I have had Tiemco break while smashing barbs. Even had them break while tying. I have bought Mustad hooks before that had one or two defects in the box, but don't see that anymore. Plus I like the fact MUSTADS are dark colored hook (not all but the ones I use) and I like that.