The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 03:45 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default All I Want for Christmas...

What one item do you hope Santa Claus brings you for Christmas this year (other than peace on earth and good will toward men, of course).

I know we want it all, but what is at the top of your list? Specify the details in your post so the rest of us can be envious.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all by the way.

Gary

Last edited by gjcordray; 12-20-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: All I Want for Christmas...

This should be interesting Ray,

I took out the redundant post for you and then came back to reply. Want & need are two different things of course. I need nothing but it would be good to find a whole Blue Eared Pheasant skin tail and all at a low price I have seen some pretty poor examples sell for over 130 dollars but I have a good supply and knew the skins I saw were not what I would pony up that much money for. I'm pinning hope on a fellow in Holland to come through for me.

Do I need this no but It would be cool to have more of these soft hackles.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-20-2010, 05:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not fly fishing and not exactly in the Christmas spirit, so be forewarned.

My father has advanced ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease ). His regular 24 hour caregiver has recently given up and moved off to resume a normal life. So for me, rather than being Dad's part time caregiver, I'm now on 24-7.
My dad's quality of life is zero. He's perfectly, mentally aware and yet can do nothing on his own. I won't go into that too much, but imagine if you couldn't speak, had absolutely no muscle control and had to rely on someone to do every little thing for you. That would be from feeding you and wiping your nose to.... everything else.

This may seem contrary some of your own religious beliefs, but I'd like my father's struggle to be over. It's difficult for us his children to deal with and be assured that he doesn't want to keep on the way that he is. I hate to say it or even think it, but if my father was able to pass on soon, that would be a Christmas gift for all involved
Hopefully I made my point without offending anyone or seeming too selfish or unfeeling. It's a struggle.,
Old 12-20-2010, 07:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I decided to treat myself to something different. I have a set of Abel nippers in the Cutthroat Trout graphic coming my way. It may be overkill for a set of nippers, but it is unique.

Here is a picture of one in black.

Click the image to open in full size.

My girlfriend is going to get me next year's fishing licence. I'm happy with that.

MP
Old 12-20-2010, 08:03 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Riptide,

I'm sorry to hear about your father. I don't think that is unfeeling or selfish. My grandfather had severe lung cancer when I was in my teens, and he was in a similar situation at the end. It's hard for everyone, and I felt much the same as you do now. I hope your father finds the peace he deserves.

As for the OP, I've been eyeing up a rotary vice, no real particular brand. Or maybe go a little old school with with a nice boo rod. 8', custom made. Maybe an ivory rod seat, while I'm at it.....
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Rip, let me echo the same sentiment. It is hard watching a loved one suffer and I really wish no one had to go through it. I'll pray for you and him. Cherish your memories my friend and hold him any chance you get. My father was a big burly rough guy bit in his last days, I held him like I would one of my children.. I know it's tough. I'm sure anyone that has been in your shoes will not judge you. I know what you mean. It's hard, very hard to watch your hero in that condition.

Best Regards, Boser

Oh ya, I was going to wish for a nice set of finger guards but then someone posted those Abel nippers. Now I gotta have em.....
Old 12-20-2010, 09:04 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
This may seem contrary some of your own religious beliefs, but I'd like my father's struggle to be over. It's difficult for us his children to deal with and be assured that he doesn't want to keep on the way that he is. I hate to say it or even think it, but if my father was able to pass on soon, that would be a Christmas gift for all involved
Hopefully I made my point without offending anyone or seeming too selfish or unfeeling. It's a struggle.,
Don't be afraid of offending people. Anyone who has been in your position will understand that your wishes are not selfish nor inhumane. I have been there myself twice. Still try to have a Merry Christmas.

I would ask Santa for a younger set of knees and an inflatable drift boat.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:27 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Rip, I know what you are saying, I wish you and the family the best. That's rough stuff man.

As far St. Nick, hahah I'm on the naughty list!!! hahah Coal for me this year! If I had behaved I guess I'de ask for a Skookum Steelheader ten footer. See if I had that it would take my mind off building a new rod, guess what my other Xmas wish would be? Hahahah! I want the boat I NEED the blank/materials!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:46 PM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough

Rip .. I have not ever been faced with dealing with you situation one on one but have had relatives in the past that have suffered thru a long illness and eventually found peace at the end.. you and your family have my thoughts and prayers ... and no.. I am not offended at all..

as for the wish I had.. Id have to say one of two things.. or both..

first would be to be in a situation where I could meet up with some of the members of this forum one on one so I could learn how to fly fish.. starting with Joni and Mojo..

the second would be to be to purchase a good Scadden boat to float some of the local waters.. I have done this in the past with a tube that a friend gave me but a scadden would be the ultimate ride..

MacFly
Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

RIP,
on Sept. 18th of this year, my dad died from cancer. I have no clue why, but I returned home a year ago. To spend time with him and my mom. I remember when he got really weak, actually praying God would spare him and take him peacefully. He did. You are not selfish. We are human. We love and remember what was once this person is no more. I too took a large part in feeding and bathing my dad. I have no regrets. I'm certain you will have none either.
As for wanting the ultimate Christmas gift....I found you guys on NAFFF. Merry Christmas all! Mike