The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   Favorite Places to buy flies? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/8648-favorite-places-buy-flies.html)

Frank Whiton 03-28-2009 10:35 AM

Favorite Places to buy flies?

Please select the sites that you buy flies from.

This will be part of a sticky to help members find flies at good prices. Anyone buying flies from one of these vendors should understand that this thread is a listing. No site is recommended over another. Your purchase experience may not be the same as someone else. Please read this thread before buying any flies.

The above Poll is a multiple choice.

Frank

Jackster 03-28-2009 11:38 AM

re: Favorite Places to buy flies?

What I don't tie or pan-handle off of friends, I like to buy at local shops wherever I am as long as they have a local fly bin or two.
I just like seeing what the locals in the area whip up. Besides, most times the quality far exceeds the imported stuff.

fyshstykr 03-28-2009 11:44 AM

I go along the same lines as Jackster. You can't beat local offerings.

It would be interesting to know how many of the different shops/sites/box stores are actually selling offerings from the same overseas facilities.

arfishinbear 03-28-2009 12:12 PM

I like my local shops also, for bass and bluegill bugs basspro and cabelas has some good ones. Ofcourse I ty a bunch of my own to.
Bear

swirlchaser 03-28-2009 05:22 PM

First off I want to thank you guys for furthering my addiction to fly fishing. As if the saltwater wasn't enought I'm also chasing trout, bass, pickeral, and bluegills since joining this forum... My wife thanks you guys as well.
I tie all of my saltwater flies because at $5-6 a fly I would have to be crazy to buy them. I've been buying my freshwater flies at local shops. The freshwater flies are so inexpensive compared to what I'm used to I don't see a point in tieing unless you want a specific pattern or a variant of an exisitng fly. Plus the hooks are so damn small I would probably lose my mind...

Hardyreels 03-28-2009 10:35 PM

Every now and then I pick up a couple salmon or steelhead ties at Three Rivers Fly Shop in down town Wasilla. I like to stop in and chat it up and by buying some local ties I support the shop. I don't need much really but it would be a lonely corner if they weren't there.

Cooler00 03-29-2009 08:59 AM

Starting out I picked up a few "selection" packs from Orvis. Since then almost all of my purchases have been from a local shop. I get great advise on what fly(s) to use and how to fish them.

Scott

Davo 04-01-2009 03:07 AM

I've never bought flies online. I purchase from my favorite local fly shops.

King Fisher 04-20-2009 06:14 AM

This site has the best saltwater flies, and especially for redfish:)

Fly2Fish 04-23-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 54518)
Every now and then I pick up a couple salmon or steelhead ties at Three Rivers Fly Shop in down town Wasilla. I like to stop in and chat it up and by buying some local ties I support the shop. I don't need much really but it would be a lonely corner if they weren't there.

I'm with Hardyreels on this one. I believe in supporting the local fly shops, plus they usually have the best information on what's working where now. Buying a few flies from them is a small price to pay for this invaluable information. Unfortunately, I don't live close to trout fishing like Hardyreels does, so it's hard for me to tie up relevant flies ahead of time. However, thinking about bringing an abbreivated fly-tying kit with me so I can "copy" the flies that are working now.