The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite places to buy flies?
The Anglers Dream 1 1.56%
Blue Fly Co. 7 10.94%
Big Y Fly Co. 7 10.94%
Fly Shack 2 3.13%
Little Dixie Flies 0 0%
The FlyStop 7 10.94%
Trout Spot 2 3.13%
Reel Flies.CA (Canada) 1 1.56%
RiverBum.com 2 3.13%
The Fly Shop 1 1.56%
Feather-Craft 2 3.13%
Kaufmann's Streamborn 1 1.56%
Other 40 62.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Favorite Places to buy flies?

Please select the sites that you buy flies from.

This will be part of a sticky to help members find flies at good prices. Anyone buying flies from one of these vendors should understand that this thread is a listing. No site is recommended over another. Your purchase experience may not be the same as someone else. Please read this thread before buying any flies.

The above Poll is a multiple choice.

Frank
Old 03-28-2009, 11:38 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default re: Favorite Places to buy flies?

What I don't tie or pan-handle off of friends, I like to buy at local shops wherever I am as long as they have a local fly bin or two.
I just like seeing what the locals in the area whip up. Besides, most times the quality far exceeds the imported stuff.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I go along the same lines as Jackster. You can't beat local offerings.

It would be interesting to know how many of the different shops/sites/box stores are actually selling offerings from the same overseas facilities.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-28-2009, 12:12 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I like my local shops also, for bass and bluegill bugs basspro and cabelas has some good ones. Ofcourse I ty a bunch of my own to.
Bear
Old 03-28-2009, 05:22 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

First off I want to thank you guys for furthering my addiction to fly fishing. As if the saltwater wasn't enought I'm also chasing trout, bass, pickeral, and bluegills since joining this forum... My wife thanks you guys as well.
I tie all of my saltwater flies because at $5-6 a fly I would have to be crazy to buy them. I've been buying my freshwater flies at local shops. The freshwater flies are so inexpensive compared to what I'm used to I don't see a point in tieing unless you want a specific pattern or a variant of an exisitng fly. Plus the hooks are so damn small I would probably lose my mind...
Old 03-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Every now and then I pick up a couple salmon or steelhead ties at Three Rivers Fly Shop in down town Wasilla. I like to stop in and chat it up and by buying some local ties I support the shop. I don't need much really but it would be a lonely corner if they weren't there.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:59 AM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

Starting out I picked up a few "selection" packs from Orvis. Since then almost all of my purchases have been from a local shop. I get great advise on what fly(s) to use and how to fish them.

Scott
Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I've never bought flies online. I purchase from my favorite local fly shops.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-20-2009, 06:14 AM

King Fisher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to King Fisher

This site has the best saltwater flies, and especially for redfish

KING FISHER

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/w...logosmall2.jpg

EBAY STORES
Old 04-23-2009, 10:00 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Every now and then I pick up a couple salmon or steelhead ties at Three Rivers Fly Shop in down town Wasilla. I like to stop in and chat it up and by buying some local ties I support the shop. I don't need much really but it would be a lonely corner if they weren't there.
I'm with Hardyreels on this one. I believe in supporting the local fly shops, plus they usually have the best information on what's working where now. Buying a few flies from them is a small price to pay for this invaluable information. Unfortunately, I don't live close to trout fishing like Hardyreels does, so it's hard for me to tie up relevant flies ahead of time. However, thinking about bringing an abbreivated fly-tying kit with me so I can "copy" the flies that are working now.