The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What is the minimum distance you should keep from other fishermen?
If you can see me, you're too close. 7 11.86%
100 yards or more 5 8.47%
50 to 100 yards 13 22.03%
30 - 50 yards 13 22.03%
At least one fishing hole away. 10 16.95%
If you're not in my backcast, you're fine. 11 18.64%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 06:27 PM

Wyatt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How close is too close?

If someone is already parked in an area I'll usually go on by a couple of miles, if I'm there already and someone comes by so long as we're not hitting each other and getting tangled up I'm fine with that.
Wyatt
Old 04-07-2009, 12:14 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the north east when the Stripers and Blue Fish start blitzing its gets pretty tight on the beaches so we get used to crowds as long as the water is boiling its all good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n1347313620_99028_6762.jpg (21.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 39193.jpg (23.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-07-2009, 01:41 PM

Tomeybob is on a distinguished road

Here in the southern US we fish a lot from a boat with two people. If you happen to be the one in the front of the boat don't fish every likely looking spot, leave some for the next person.
If you should happen to come upon another boat, carefully go around them without disturbing their fishing.
I have encountered people, that if they see you catch a fish, they swarm around you like mosquitoes. When this happens I quietly go somewhere else.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Frank hits a homer with his suggestions...I like anyone else love it when I have a stretch of river to myself...Doesn't happen very often, so I live with fishing the crowds. I try to fish when most other people can't or won't; week days for the ones who still work, and nasty weather if the weekend is the only available time. Steelhead fishing most anywhere is not nearly as appealing to most folks when the snow is falling and you have to break some shelf ice to fish. When it is crowded, common sense and consideration goes a long ways. Talk to the people fishing an area, you will be surprised at the number of invites you get to fish a spot. Treat people as you would like to be treated. If you do run into a bunch of Yahoos moving in on you, chill; you're there for fun. Move on to greener pastures, or just drive them crazy catching fish after fish...LOL

Tight Lines,

Dan
Old 04-08-2009, 01:08 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

Boy, this really depends on the situation. At Bennet Springs, MO on opening day, they're all lined up. (Goofy and I always skipped it, but many have a lot of fun.) But if I hiked in and there's a whole stream for a few people, then spread out.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 04-09-2009, 06:27 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

I just came back from fishing the walleye runs of the Maumee River in western Ohio, I know this is not fly fishing but it shows how crowded rivers can get during popular great lake runs. The Pike and Root River of Southeast Wisconsin almost look exactly like this in October. . Infact on those river sometimes it tends to be closer especially if you hook into fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

This picture below is from the Vermillion River in Ohio, we also went steel heading. I found this great pool where I had a steel head on but it got free so three of us over a distance of 75 yards or so were drifting flies through it.

I do not mind fishing close to people I am use to it. But I am almost use to moving to a spot near people and catching their fish. Good times!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Generally distance is relative depending on many factors mentioned by others who have posted to this thread. When a run is on it is unlikely that I will be alone unless I'm deep in the bush here. Where I have a problem is if I hook up and must leave my spot on the water to land the fish and someone immediately moves into my spot and intends to keep it.

I have yet to be unable to evict the usurper from my spot but find it distasteful to have to tell someone that it's time to move out. I try to go so far into the rivers that I have a relative expectation of privacy.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:59 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Generally distance is relative depending on many factors mentioned by others who have posted to this thread. When a run is on it is unlikely that I will be alone unless I'm deep in the bush here. Where I have a problem is if I hook up and must leave my spot on the water to land the fish and someone immediately moves into my spot and intends to keep it.

I have yet to be unable to evict the usurper from my spot but find it distasteful to have to tell someone that it's time to move out. I try to go so far into the rivers that I have a relative expectation of privacy.
that's when I tie on a big, menacing popper on a 4/0 hook and let a casts "get away" from me. Works like a charm
Old 04-24-2009, 08:34 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

LOL...Swirl, you sound like my buddie Cubby...LOL Works wonders though...

Dan
Old 04-24-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
LOL...Swirl, you sound like my buddie Cubby...LOL Works wonders though...

Dan
Yes it does...
I actually enjoy fishing with others, especially strangers. I like to see what others are using and how they fish but every once in a while you run into a meathead or two...
Last fall I was fishing a local sandbar at low tide and I had the entire harbor to myself. Of course a guy wades in to my left and decides I have the best spot in the harbor and sets up right next to me. I said hello and even offered the let him pass me and set up on my right since I cast with my left hand and he was in a bad spot.
He walked past me, started casting and 5 minutes later asked me if I would please put out my cigar because he was down wind of me!!!!! All I could think was, is this guy serious? I puffed away like a maniac and 15min later I was alone again