The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   Where will you take your Big 2011 trip? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/91340-where-will-you-take-your-big-2011-trip.html)

gjcordray 01-09-2011 08:29 AM

Where will you take your Big 2011 trip?

Okay, so it is cold and I am tired of tying flies. I need to hear some stories and dream of warmer days.

The question: Where do you plan to travel to on your "big" fly fishing vacation this year? Give us some details in your post.

I have broken this into likely categories and apologize in advance if I leave out some place obvious or if the categories are too broad. It is a big world.

BTW: Your Big trip doesn't need to be far from home or cost an arm and a leg. "Big" can mean a lot of things to different people.

Gary

Jackster 01-09-2011 11:19 AM

Re: Where will you take your Big 2011 trip?

Every year I headed west to fish Idaho and Montana. This new, improved economy sucked me in and now I have to think strongly about saving money over enjoying a well-deserved vacation.
I have high hopes of driving to my old home waters in Michigan. I hope to fish with old friends and maybe even find time to visit family. :p

Jimmie 01-09-2011 11:43 AM

Right now we have plans with friends in Sheridan, Wy. Two other places that we want to return are Island Park, Id, and Bend, Or. either going or coming. What happens in between will be an added adventure. Talking with Fred on here we are also looking at northeastern Oregon.
Hope to see some of you on the water.

mcnerney 01-09-2011 11:52 AM

Gary: I hear you on it's COLD and I'm already getting tired of tying flies.......I'm feeling the same way. To make matters worse I didn't make it down to the Denver Fly Fishing Show, the wife has been sick all week and today the wx sucks.
Here is my list of plans for next year:
I'm planning on the following:
The Big Horn in Feb or Mar for a few days
The San Juan in the early spring if I can get my son to spring away from work for a few days, then hit the South Platte on the return.
Float the Wind River once or twice.
I'm hoping to get back up to fish with Kelly on his No Tellum Spring Creek and maybe a float or two on the South Fork of the Snake.
Then (closer to home) a few floats on the Green and North Platte.

Larry

Rip Tide 01-09-2011 11:59 AM

My buddy and I have spent at least a week each spring on Cape Cod for the last 14 years. We've already made plans to go back.
I'd love to spend the same week somewhere else for a change, but it's hard to argue with the great surf, flats, and estuary fishing for fish in the 20 lb range with an outside chance at a 40.

http://www.hikingnewengland.com/uplo..._26_903411.jpg

fredaevans 01-09-2011 12:02 PM

"Plan A" is a month in the Yellowstone area.

Pocono 01-09-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 191236)
"Plan A" is a month in the Yellowstone area.

That's a great plan!

Pocono

mikel 01-09-2011 03:55 PM

Aztec NM to Grand Junction....2 weeks in the fall. woo hoo! Dam(n) the gas prices! Full speed ahead!

Well, nobody will see this edit, but that's ok...the emergence of a wedding on Flathead Lake has enabled me to plan a month (August) in western Montana. My old college roomie lives in Kalispell and we will fish the waters around there and 2 weeks in the SW as well out of Missoula...-m

gjcordray 01-09-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 191231)
Gary: I hear you on it's COLD and I'm already getting tired of tying flies.......I'm feeling the same way. To make matters worse I didn't make it down to the Denver Fly Fishing Show, the wife has been sick all week and today the wx sucks.
Here is my list of plans for next year:
I'm planning on the following:
The Big Horn in Feb or Mar for a few days
The San Juan in the early spring if I can get my son to spring away from work for a few days, then hit the South Platte on the return.
Float the Wind River once or twice.
I'm hoping to get back up to fish with Kelly on his No Tellum Spring Creek and maybe a float or two on the South Fork of the Snake.
Then (closer to home) a few floats on the Green and North Platte.

Larry

Larry, I live just 30 minutes from Denver and I didn't even make it to the trade shows this year.

Bighorn might be on my list as well, but the Reef on the North Platte is set in stone for Late March. I might take my wife to Montana - she has never been.

Gary

mcnerney 01-09-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjcordray (Post 191363)
Larry, I live just 30 minutes from Denver and I didn't even make it to the trade shows this year.

Bighorn might be on my list as well, but the Reef on the North Platte is set in stone for Late March. I might take my wife to Montana - she has never been.

Gary

Gary: The Reef should be fishing really well in Mar, hope you guys have a great time up there! I've never been to the Bighorn either, I had a trip setup with Eric from Bighornflies last year but something came up and I had to cancel the trip and then never did make it up there. This year it's on my "A" list............just too many really good places to fish in the Rockies and to little time to fish!

Larry