The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Where will you take your BIG 2011 fishing trip?
The Rocky Mountain Region 21 44.68%
The West Coast 2 4.26%
The East Coast 2 4.26%
The South 2 4.26%
The Great Lakes Region 8 17.02%
Alaska/Canada 2 4.26%
Mexico/Caribbean 1 2.13%
New Zealand/South America 2 4.26%
Other 7 14.89%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 08:29 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Where will you take your Big 2011 trip?

Okay, so it is cold and I am tired of tying flies. I need to hear some stories and dream of warmer days.

The question: Where do you plan to travel to on your "big" fly fishing vacation this year? Give us some details in your post.

I have broken this into likely categories and apologize in advance if I leave out some place obvious or if the categories are too broad. It is a big world.

BTW: Your Big trip doesn't need to be far from home or cost an arm and a leg. "Big" can mean a lot of things to different people.

Gary

Last edited by gjcordray; 01-09-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Where will you take your Big 2011 trip?

Every year I headed west to fish Idaho and Montana. This new, improved economy sucked me in and now I have to think strongly about saving money over enjoying a well-deserved vacation.
I have high hopes of driving to my old home waters in Michigan. I hope to fish with old friends and maybe even find time to visit family.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:43 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Right now we have plans with friends in Sheridan, Wy. Two other places that we want to return are Island Park, Id, and Bend, Or. either going or coming. What happens in between will be an added adventure. Talking with Fred on here we are also looking at northeastern Oregon.
Hope to see some of you on the water.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Gary: I hear you on it's COLD and I'm already getting tired of tying flies.......I'm feeling the same way. To make matters worse I didn't make it down to the Denver Fly Fishing Show, the wife has been sick all week and today the wx sucks.
Here is my list of plans for next year:
I'm planning on the following:
The Big Horn in Feb or Mar for a few days
The San Juan in the early spring if I can get my son to spring away from work for a few days, then hit the South Platte on the return.
Float the Wind River once or twice.
I'm hoping to get back up to fish with Kelly on his No Tellum Spring Creek and maybe a float or two on the South Fork of the Snake.
Then (closer to home) a few floats on the Green and North Platte.

Larry

Old 01-09-2011, 11:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My buddy and I have spent at least a week each spring on Cape Cod for the last 14 years. We've already made plans to go back.
I'd love to spend the same week somewhere else for a change, but it's hard to argue with the great surf, flats, and estuary fishing for fish in the 20 lb range with an outside chance at a 40.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"Plan A" is a month in the Yellowstone area.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
"Plan A" is a month in the Yellowstone area.
That's a great plan!

Pocono
Old 01-09-2011, 03:55 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Aztec NM to Grand Junction....2 weeks in the fall. woo hoo! Dam(n) the gas prices! Full speed ahead!

Well, nobody will see this edit, but that's ok...the emergence of a wedding on Flathead Lake has enabled me to plan a month (August) in western Montana. My old college roomie lives in Kalispell and we will fish the waters around there and 2 weeks in the SW as well out of Missoula...-m

Last edited by mikel; 03-08-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:04 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Gary: I hear you on it's COLD and I'm already getting tired of tying flies.......I'm feeling the same way. To make matters worse I didn't make it down to the Denver Fly Fishing Show, the wife has been sick all week and today the wx sucks.
Here is my list of plans for next year:
I'm planning on the following:
The Big Horn in Feb or Mar for a few days
The San Juan in the early spring if I can get my son to spring away from work for a few days, then hit the South Platte on the return.
Float the Wind River once or twice.
I'm hoping to get back up to fish with Kelly on his No Tellum Spring Creek and maybe a float or two on the South Fork of the Snake.
Then (closer to home) a few floats on the Green and North Platte.

Larry
Larry, I live just 30 minutes from Denver and I didn't even make it to the trade shows this year.

Bighorn might be on my list as well, but the Reef on the North Platte is set in stone for Late March. I might take my wife to Montana - she has never been.

Gary
Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
Larry, I live just 30 minutes from Denver and I didn't even make it to the trade shows this year.

Bighorn might be on my list as well, but the Reef on the North Platte is set in stone for Late March. I might take my wife to Montana - she has never been.

Gary
Gary: The Reef should be fishing really well in Mar, hope you guys have a great time up there! I've never been to the Bighorn either, I had a trip setup with Eric from Bighornflies last year but something came up and I had to cancel the trip and then never did make it up there. This year it's on my "A" list............just too many really good places to fish in the Rockies and to little time to fish!

Larry