The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   How do you straighten leaders and tippets? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/93888-how-do-you-straighten-leaders-tippets.html)

dave5977 01-16-2011 01:35 PM

How do you straighten leaders and tippets?

I have heard several ways to remove the coils from new leaders or leaders that have been on a spool for awhile. I use my fingers. What do you use?

Hardyreels 01-16-2011 01:37 PM

Re: How do you straighten leaders and tippets?

Fingers, works on the fly line too,

Ard

Jimmie 01-16-2011 03:23 PM

I voted leather patch, but I'll also say it doesn't work very well. A friend of mine pulled out a piece of bicycle inner tube and did in one pull what had already taken me about five pulls with no change.

mojo 01-16-2011 05:22 PM

I voted "other". Don't need to straighten furled leaders. That's my "other".

Frank Whiton 01-17-2011 03:37 PM

Hi Everyone,

You know I used the rubber faced leather gizmo sold as a leader straightener for many years when I started fly fishing. Then one day I read that it weaken the leader due to the heat it created. I bet it didn't make much difference to all those fish I caught with my weaken leader. I stopped using the leader straightener but I can't say it made one bit of difference. I now use my hands pulling the tippet or leader against my bent knee. No friction, I just pull against my knee.

Frank

jcw355 01-17-2011 05:32 PM

^^^^^^^I read the same thing about the heat weakening the leader. It's attached to a zipper and makes unzipping a vest pocket easier, thats it's only use now

ChrisinselwynNZ 02-01-2011 08:25 AM

I voted other because since going to super fluro and coated leaders, with it being so supple I have had no need to straighten it

When I use copolimer leaders for dry fishing I have used JP's method of hanging them from the roof, I used to streach them with my hands.

Chris

Joni 02-01-2011 10:19 AM

Other....furled leaders here..ZERO memory there.

jpbfly 02-01-2011 10:42 AM

Never straighten tippets...I change them:Das for the leaders...either use a piece of washing up gloves or hang...( I've seen Chris adopted this method;))

Frank Whiton 02-01-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ (Post 202471)
I voted other because since going to super fluro and coated leaders, with it being so supple I have had no need to straighten it

When I use copolimer leaders for dry fishing I have used JP's method of hanging them from the roof, I used to streach them with my hands.

Chris

Hi Chris,

What Fluro are you using that is so supple?

Frank