The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Sight fishing vs. Blind fishing.
Sight fish/stalk, Dries or indicator 30 61.22%
Blind drift, dries/indicator 21 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Sight fishing or blind fishing?

Frank, the style of "logic" fishing you use is how I get most of my "one drift fish". A very effective approach.
Put the fly where they should be, first try, and bingo!!!
An aside, for sight challenged folks (not just you), try a pair of bino's to get a closer look at more water, without investing as much walking/casting. Just slowly glass the spots you would hang if you were a fish. Noses, sip rings, bulges, backs, tails etc. are much easier to see. If I was rich (ha), I would purchase a polarized pair. Then they'd have nowhere to hide!!!!
Also, it keeps one back from the water where the fish can't see you.
Like Ard implied, don't let'em see you, and fish scores will go up.
Finally, last winter I used some white camo, to get closer, without spookin' them. Seemed to help.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 01-25-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I would rather catch one fish I see rising than 10 under a bobber. That's just me though and I admit, if there isn't anything happening on top after a while of stalking out comes the nymphs and bobbers!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:06 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sight Fishing, especially on my favorite spring creek is about as good as it gets and as close to Nirvana as it can get on this earth! There is nothing like spotting a fish, selecting the right fly and then getting it in front of the fish, watching the wink of the mouth as it opens and closes and then setting the hook...oooooh

Kelly.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

I hear you Kelly!!!!!
The reason I said no wrong answers, is that not all water is conducive to this approach, as you well know. And it's satisfying fun to hook up, no matter what style you choose to use.
That said, this is my jones too....
More than once "gentleman fishing" a friend has gone first, only managing to put our finny quarry down. After the appropriate break period (frosty beverage), it was my turn....
I feel like a car salesman, just laying them away!
Read the drift, get their rise timing down, and let fly.
To see a nose like a football suddenly poking out of the liquid chaos to eat your green drake, or Hopper, or whatever. Knowing it's a done deal, long before the fish does.
Especially fine, if you say "this drift".
Sorry... three months without running water brings out the fanatic.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 01-26-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
More than once "gentleman fishing" a friend has gone first, only managing to put our finny quarry down.
Jim
The way my friend Phil and I play is it then becomes the next guys turn. We have a certain spring creek we fish where we wade upstream stalking. If the guy up misses a take, gets hung up, catches a fish or does anything else but lay out some decent line, it's game off and the next guys turn.
Heckling and badgering is not only expected but encouraged!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
The way my friend Phil and I play is it then becomes the next guys turn. We have a certain spring creek we fish where we wade upstream stalking. If the guy up misses a take, gets hung up, catches a fish or does anything else but lay out some decent line, it's game off and the next guys turn.
Heckling and badgering is not only expected but encouraged!
Isn't this how it's done everywhere?

Kelly.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

In the upper left portion of the following photo the water over the weeds is only about 12-inches to 24-inches and in the evenings the big browns move into this area to feed at will. We call it "Tortuga Flats" and the sight fishing for these beasts is the most incredible thing I've ever experienced. My favorite fly is a size 10 (no typo) amber scud. I find a "tailing" fish and try to determine which direction he's moving and then drop the fly just off of his shoulder and a bit behind him. Usually the fish will turn at the sound (sometimes he'll spook at the sound ) and then he's all over that scud. Hold on and keep your hands and feet inside at all times!

Click the image to open in full size.

Kelly.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Kelly, I'm in no condition for you to rub it in!
Big browns in small water. Be still my heart.
Beautiful spot!!

Jim

Bigfly
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

The more any fishing situation calls for blind fishing, the less i like it but thankfully there are ample situations where actual sight fishing can occur, next best is knowing the fishes habitat and fishing those areas where the fish actually feed, last of all is just blind casting a lake, river or ocean!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi All.
I also went for sight fishing,I have over the years done lots of night Fly Fishing,if you see an occassional rise even if the you can't see the fish you know they are around.
Sight fishing is good the hardest part sometimes is getting the fish to grab your fly which is sometimes frustrating.
Years ago an old fishing friend & I was Fishing in Tasmania for Trout feeding in shallow waters around the edge of a lake,I would cast the Fly into a certain place & the fish,large Browns would swim in the other direction to what I had cast.
Recently in Alaska sometimes I would cast to a fish I could see & nearly always catch it,we also fished blind & also caught plenty of fish.
I envy you guys in the states with such ammount of water as well as the abundance of fish.
Cheers & Good Luck.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

I voted blind fishing because, although I have a growing interest in pursuing larger game and I do love sight fishing, my first love is fly fishing for native brookies. As has already been stated, those little fellas will hide where you least expect it.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...