The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Sight fishing vs. Blind fishing.
Sight fish/stalk, Dries or indicator 30 61.22%
Blind drift, dries/indicator 21 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sight fishing or blind fishing?

If I could, I'd sight fish for everything, but a huge majority of the fish I catch are completely blind caught (except for casting to the occasional rising trout on a stream or something). It's just based on where I live and where I fish. Bonefishing, which is obviously entirely visual except for a few very specific situations, is easily the most fun I've ever had with a fly rod. It really makes me want to find more sightfishing opportunities here in Oregon, because it really raised the intensity of properly presenting a fly.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:54 AM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

I would prefer to sight but picked blind as it accounts for more fish in hand. A lot of the water I am on is too deep/murky to sight fish well. the streams I can do it on I usually try to less avail. I suppose its a skill I will find myself getting better at with time

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-26-2011, 01:19 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

I love them both equal! There is nothing like seeing the fish, making a good cast and watching it eat your fly. BUT then again I love getting slammed on a "Blind" drift!

Tight Lines
Scott
Old 02-07-2012, 01:47 PM

pinkygonzales is on a distinguished road

I LOVE sight fishing but find myself shooting in the dark more often than not. I sure envy the guys that have the luxury of fishing the Caribbean. What a way to fish.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

It's probably the best when the Fish are Rising as you know they are feeding on something then you have to catch them,however it's a buzz when your are "Blind Fishing" when suddenly out of the Blue The Fly is Taken & there is a great eruption.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

More blind fishing but do both.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:32 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I go both ways When ever I approach the water I do a stop, drop and observe until satisfied with my observations. It doesn't happen everyday but sometimes this pays off big, spying a trout laid up in still shallow water. Then it's GI Joe in slow mo...Gets my heart pumping just writing about it.

Dave
Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 PM

bennypapa is on a distinguished road

Depends on the water one is fishing.
You'd be silly to try and stalk fish in a tailwater fishery with a depth of 5 to 10 feet.