The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Sight fishing vs. Blind fishing.
Sight fish/stalk, Dries or indicator 30 61.22%
Blind drift, dries/indicator 21 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Sight fishing or blind fishing?

Just curious what percentage of time folks stalk a fish they can see, vs. throwing stuff out there and blindly drifting it.
Either dries or under an indicator.
No penalty for answering one way or the other.
This relates more to all the different waters out there,
and fishing/trout personalities too!
For myself, I prefer the stalk 100% of the time, but seem to come closer to 30+% fishing time for this approach on the Truckee River.

Bigfly
Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sight fishing or blind fishing?

For me it all depends on the water. If I'm on a small clear stream and I CAN sight fish that is all I do. The only time I abandon sight fishing is when there are so many fish that it is not necessary or the water color/current/glare etc prevent me from seeing fish. Most (probably 90% or more) of my small stream PA fishing is sight fishing; but when I visit big waters like ausable it is pretty much impossible to see a fish unless he's feeding on top. I definitely sight fish if at all possible.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I like doing both, however, as I fish from a tube almost 70% of the time on a lake of some sort, I rarely actually see the fish I'm trying to catch before they hit. Unless they're rising, then of course, I suppose I'm sight fishing. Otherwise, I fish structure/cover to maximize my odds; casting blindly at open water can be some of the most frustrating fishing there is. If I get lucky and see 'nervous water,' or a flash of a fish subsurface, all to the better.

When I streamfish, I like sightfishing over blindcasting. I'm still learning to do this with any degree of efficiency, but that's part of the fun for me. When I think about it, I probably still do quite a bit of blindcasting, since many of the fish I catch in AZ streams are under 6 inches, and I just flat don't see them until they rise up to take my fly.

Naturally, I'd like to streamfish a bit more, and that in fact, is one of my resolutions for the year. However, multiple surgeries on both knees and ankles put a hard limit on how much hiking up and down canyons I can actually do.

This offseason I picked up some fancy knee and ankles braces, so maybe I'll get a chance to sightfish for some truly monster browns. One can dream, anyway.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 01-24-2011, 11:23 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I voted blind for all of the small pocket water we fish. I don't want to skip a pocket whether I see a fish or not. Same with some of the meadow fishing when they will hide under the grassy banks. That, plus I'm pretty sure that I don't see them like you guys.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I went with sight fishing, but I dont use an indicator for nymph fishing as I get close enough to see the mouth. I have trouble holding intrest fishing to a fish that might be there (and normaly let loose a few casual casts). But in most rivers that I fish they are clear and very shallow.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

It depends on the water and the situation. If I can see them, sure I pursue. More often I am reading the water and casting where I think fish probably are. I do love sight fishing for pike with big streamers.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
When I think about it, I probably still do quite a bit of blindcasting, since many of the fish I catch in AZ streams are under 6 inches, and I just flat don't see them until they rise up to take my fly.
That is true, fish a lot of riffle water and pull 4 or 5 Brookies out of it having never seen one of them. They sure know how to hide when they are the size of stream gravel!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I prefer sight fishing, but this past year which was a return to fly fishing after several years I discovered I had a difficulty time seeing fish. Last year was also my first year for me wearing glasses at 47-years-old, not bad. Before this when I was fly fishing I had no trouble most of the time sight fishing.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi everyone,

If you are a thread reader you may know I don't do a whole bunch of dry fly fishing since moving to AK. and the Indi thing.............. I'm a wet fly & streamer fisher here and I am a salmon addict. I fish for trout but I tend to get them and char the same way I catch the salmon so I'm adding a quick take on the sight vs. blind approach from my prospective, hope it makes sense for you.

I would be pulling your leg if I said any other than sight being the best way to catch a fish but there is of course a caveat; the hitch being that I must be sure that the fish I am watching is not in turn watching me. Unless a fish is fresh in from a hatchery truck and still associating the human from with food they are unlikely to be cooperative once they spot your looming form, so...................... err on the side of caution because that's what the fish do.

I also find conditions where sight of fish is not possible due to high or turbid water conditions. In these areas familiarization with the stream or river bed during low or clear water episodes is the key. Once you know where you are swimming a wet fly through and that the area is a known holding water the aspects of fishing 'blind' are much improved. You will also get a huge confidence building experience when you are rewarded buy a solid stop put to that swimming fly by a fish that you did not see but figured was present.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

It is very seldom that I am able to site fish. I am vision impaired and depth perception is lousy. There has to be some movement by the fish or I will never spot it. So I rely much more on reading the water and fishing where the fish should be. This works pretty good and much more productive for me than trying to see the fish.

Frank