The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Redington Predator
Redington Predator
A versatile and precise rod that's priced very well
Published by BigCliff
08-25-2009
Author review
Performance
100%100%100%
Build Quality
90%90%90%
Appearance
90%90%90%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 94%
Default Redington Predator

I was intrigued by this new series of rod that Redington developed because of both the overwhelmingly positive reviews they've received, the appealing price, and by the idea of a short stout rod intended to present big/heavy flies into tight spots. I went for the 6wt model because I expected to get the most use out of it for the fishing I do most often.

When the rod first arrived, I was impressed by its appearance and build quality. The caramel brown wraps with silver trim on the dark grey blank reminded me a bit of Scott's G2 rods, though the smooth blank has a bit more mainstream appeal. The cork felt great in my hand and when I assembled the rod and gave it a waggle, I was fairly sure I was going to enjoy casting and fishing it.

Next I headed out to the yard with both a 6wt and 7wt line and cast both. It was both smooth and powerful and seemed more adept at throwing different sized loops than any other rod I've ever cast. My natural casting stroke produced fairly large loops, but with minimal effort they became tight and pretty. I ended up liking the 7wt line better, but I'm realizing more and more over time that I just don't like that 6wt line I've used intermittently over a few years. (I've since gotten a recommendation from a SA rep for the perfect 6wt line for that rod and will report back on how that line performs on the rod.)

I fished the rod this past Friday, and was pleased once again. I headed out to a local river with more flies in my pack than Noah had critters on the Ark to make sure I fully tested the rods abilities. With the 7wt line, I cast everything from a size 14 ant to a 3/4" x 3" jointed foam popper and was able to place them precisely even at 70'. The typical accuracy talents of a short rod showed up as well, allowing me to hit tight spots with ease that usually doesn't come until you've fished a rod multiple times.

I was able to bend it against some fish, but nothing worth bragging about or big enough to really test its tugging abilities out. I fully intend to play at least one 2' fish with it in coming months and I'll continue to update this thread with how it performs.

Overall, I think Redington's 6wt Predator is a great tool for targeting fish around 5lbs with flies up to the size of a finger, and a great value as well at $200. Its a well made 4pc rod with a hard cordura tube and a great warranty. I paired mine with a Sage 1680 reel and a Rio 7wt Saltwater fly line. All of this is available from www.reelflyrod.com .
Featured Reviews
By Sep on 08-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Default Re: Redington Predator

Great review Cliff!!! I'd be very interested in the line that the SA guy recommends to you so keep us informed.

Regards,

Sep
By BigCliff on 08-26-2009, 08:36 AM

I asked for a line that was a half wt heavy, front loaded to turn over big stuff, would do well in the heat, but wouldn't become a slinky in February. His recommendation was their Redfish line. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ySalt/Redfish/ (which I think he helped design)

Keep in mind that I do most of my fishing in South Texas, 1/3 or so of it in salt, and he knew that when making the reco.
By Sep on 08-26-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I asked for a line that was a half wt heavy, front loaded to turn over big stuff, would do well in the heat, but wouldn't become a slinky in February. His recommendation was their Redfish line. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ySalt/Redfish/ (which I think he helped design)

Keep in mind that I do most of my fishing in South Texas, 1/3 or so of it in salt, and he knew that when making the reco.
THANKS!!! Tht recommendation makes good sense. Let us know how it feels when you get to throw it.

Sep
By MoscaPescador on 08-26-2009, 11:08 AM

The line recommended line by the Farbank rep (Farbank = Sage, Redington, Rio) is the Rio Outbound Short. Use the respective "labeled" line weight. Keep in mind that the 6 weight line weighs 235 grains, so it overlined already.

The Outbound Short is available in two types: Outbound Short and Tropical Outbound Short. Unfortunately there is not a Tropical Outbound Short in a 6 weight.

I had a feeling that the SA Mastery Redfish line would be his recommended line. Before Rio introduced the Outbound Short lines, I was selling the SA Mastery Redfish lines to guys taking their new Sage BASS rods to the Yucatan. The stock Sage line became a limp noodle in the tropical heat.

MP
By fishosopher on 09-08-2009, 03:15 PM

I want to put a line with a short, fast sinking tip ( 10 to 15 ft., 6-7 ips) on a 6 wt. Redington Predator. Should I go with a 6 wt. or a 7 wt. line?
By MoscaPescador on 09-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I want to put a line with a short, fast sinking tip ( 10 to 15 ft., 6-7 ips) on a 6 wt. Redington Predator. Should I go with a 6 wt. or a 7 wt. line?
It depends on how you want the rod to load.

WF6 (160 grains*) will load off the tip.
WF7 (185 grains*) will load more towards the midsection.
WF8 (210 grains*) will load all the way down to the butt.

*Grain weight measurements are from Rio DC15 Sink Tips specs.

I would go at least WF7 for the rod. More grain weight mass will help you throw those bigger bass flies.

MP
By BigCliff on 09-09-2009, 12:47 PM

Its not a sink tip, but I'll be trying out a SA Sharskin Magnum WF6F this wknd and reporting on how it does. Its likely to be a match made in heaven.

(side note: the Sharkskin Magnum wasn't one of the lines I initially asked the SA Rep about, but to owner of my local fly shop talked me into it. When I told the SA rep that, he responded with: "It will rock your world, perform much better in the cold, and hold up to the heat")
Last edited by BigCliff; 09-09-2009 at 05:52 PM..
By BigCliff on 09-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Alright, here's the salt version of the review. In my opinion, if you can get away with a 6/7 wt rod to handle the wind and flies you need to throw in saltwater, the 6wt Predator is a great rod to swing. Sure an 8' rod may not cast as far as a 9', but for the fishing I like to do where you're making mostly 20-50' casts to sighted fish, its pretty perfect. If they're further out, you've gotta have perfect conditions and/or magical eyes to see them. If they're tailing, you can generally get to them.

It threw tight loops and put a quick whoopin on fish. Its appearance impressed a buddy of mine as well. When I pulled it out of the tube and said Redington, I heard "That's a REDINGTON, I thought it was a Sage." (For reference, this guy's flats boat is worth more than both of my household's cars, combined)

The 6wt Sharkskin Magnum line is a great match for the 6wt Predator. Its definitely heavy for a 6, so it loads the rod quickly and well. From a durability standpoint, I can't yet say whether Sharkskin is worth the additional 30%, but I'd say it does performance wise. Wow that stuff shoots like crazy.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
By Sep on 09-14-2009, 02:00 PM

GREAT REVIEW CLIFF!!!! Thanks for putting your Predator through it's paces and letting us know how it handles. I'm definitely sold on mine and will be chasing some smallmouths later this week with it.

Sep
Comment

Review Tools