The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Fishpond Tundra Tech Pack
Fishpond Tundra Tech Pack
Published by mack_s
03-13-2011
Author review
Performance
80%80%80%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
80%80%80%
Overall
80%80%80%
Average 88%
Thumbs up Fishpond Tundra Tech Pack

I recently purchased the Tundra Tech Pack from Fishpond and took it out this last weekend.

Click the image to open in full size.

I purchased this pack for a couple of reasons; I was looking for a new backpack/chest pack to replace my old Cabela's model that I really didn't like all that well and this pack has the built in feature of clipping the chest pack to the backpack while hiking so you don't have to wear the chest pack.

My initial impression when opening the box was that it looked smaller than I had thought. No problem, it'll limit the extra un-needed items I usually pack along. That works for the backpack, but when it came time to load up the chest pack, it seemed to get smaller with every item I put into it. I could barely fit 2 C&F midge sized flyboxes in it. I would have prefered a bit more room in the chest pack. As you can see in the photo, the front pockets for my floatant and sink bottles don't quite hold them in place. One actually fell out while fishing and I had to grab it really quickly before it floated down stream. The only other issue I had was when trying to clip it to the backpack while wearing it. The first side clickes in easily enough, but when it came to the other side, I had a bit of difficulty. It's not that easy to clip in blind...yet. I'm sure with some practice it'll get easy but I won't be wearing it on a daily basis so the learning curve may take a while. With all that being said...The pack is very comfortable!! I had it loaded up and hiked/fished a total of 8 miles. Half with the chest pack on the back and half with it on the front. Hardly noticed it all day. The individual rod sleves in the pack with the magnetic closures wroked great. No more having to stick the rod into the top of the pack and using the zippers to hold it in place. The side pockets on the waist belt was just large enough to hold my camera in one and some snacks in the other. Easy to open and close with one hand.

Overall, I'm satisified with the pack and would recomend it. I'll have to come up with a better system for loading it when taking it fishing though.

-Mack
Featured Reviews
Comment

Review Tools