The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Allen & Co. Alpha WOW!!!
ab fisher
04-12-2010
Last Friday I had picked up an Alpha 2/4 wt reel from Justin to go on a 4wt rod. I had already picked up a XL in 5/6 wt and am very happy with it so I decided to go the next step up on his reel line to see what the Alpha had.

When I first received the Alpha on Friday 04/09/2010 I...
By kelkay on 12-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Default Re: Allen & Co. Alpha WOW!!!

I tried out my 5/6 Alpha today. I put some Rio Bass line on it. Both were fantastic. Justin, your reels are top notch. I am a fan of your products. The Alpha is every bit as sweet as I thought it would be. Super job on this reel!!!
By lenio8403 on 05-20-2013, 07:54 PM

Taking down negative review as I do not wish ppl to think tom wrote it. I was much more disappointed than him as I've already had to replace mine due to issues.
Last edited by lenio8403; 05-20-2013 at 08:39 PM..
By caseywise on 05-20-2013, 08:04 PM

wow.
great first post.
By allenflyfishing on 05-20-2013, 08:26 PM

Reply removed
Last edited by allenflyfishing; 05-20-2013 at 09:07 PM..
By vtmatt on 05-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Member reviews
Performance
40%40%40%
Build Quality
30%30%30%
Appearance
80%80%80%
Value
40%40%40%
Overall
40%40%40%
Average 46%

I have two Allen reels, and am not that impressed to be honest.

I have a 5/6 Trout that is alright for it's price. The drag like to "skip" when the reel is wet. Not sure if you guys know what I mean, but even when the drag is tight, after getting it wet, it almost free-spins when a fish makes a hard run. So I've got to palm it alot. Other than that, retrieve is smooth, and the reel looks nice.

I picked up an Alpha II as well. Nice looking reel because of the blue color. While it was in the case, it took a 1.5 foot drop onto some rocks while loading it into the car. Wasn't really much of a drop, just a tumble. It was in the case so I didn't think anything of it.

I got home and found the spool was bent so bad it rubbed when spun and was unfishable and the anodizing was chipped off in a few spots on the spool. From such a small tumble while in the case?? A case of sub-par aluminum and anodizing. My Ross has been dropped on quite a few rocks and boulders from taking spills, and it still runs completely true and the anodizing is still perfect... I didn't get much help from Justin. Wanted a refund for the reel but he refused. Even though I wasn't happy with the quality of the reel overall, I guess he doesn't offer refunds when customers arent happy with everything about the product. Wanted me to pay money to send in the reel so he could "fix" it. I gave up after a week of exchanging emails and chalked up my loss. I bent the spool back myself enough to where it doesn't rub, but in terms of buying anything else from his company, I'll pass. Both the reels are sitting in the closet, and I'm looking for someone to "gift" them to.

Also have a fly box with plastic compartments from them that I had to throw away because all the pins holding the compartments together fell out in the first week. Lost countless flies because of it. Oh, and I bought a batch of bad hooks from him. They all had deformed hook bends. They were all pinched by something, so when they bent they just snapped like a twig. I sent him an email, he refused to send another package until I sent him all of the hooks back, really??? I offered to send pictures of the hooks, and he was of no help.

There is my rant about the company. Overall totally dissatisfied with the customer service. Has lost my future purchased, and that of friends I could have recommended them to.

Oh, and I entered reviews on everything I bought from there. None of them got accepted even though they were all true. The two reels, fly box, hooks....the only one that got accepted was the "first impression 5/5" I sent in for the trout reel which was before I had even fished it.... Ha, what a joke! Talk about selective reviews on the website. I can only wonder how many neutral or bad reviews they haven't put up on the website.
By allenflyfishing on 05-24-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmatt View Post
I have two Allen reels, .......
Hi Matt,

It's good to hear from you. Hope things are going well. We have had a lot of emails back and fourth over the years. I believe the first one was you asking for a reel at 70% off with a story you gave me. However, we denied the request. Also, the request for guide pricing was denied.

I would like to address the hooks. Hooks are a low cost product and we would never ask for them back. It would make for an added expense on our part. I do remember asking for the photo and never received those. From my understanding all the negativity came from after our discussion of the reels.

Yes, you did tell me you bent the spool. However, the disagreement was how we wanted to handle the warranty. We were offering you a pre-paid label to ship the spool back. Once the spool was in the USPS system we would have shipped you a new spool that day overnight as we have done in the past.

Unfortunately, you wanted to keep the current spool and have us send you another one then offered to negotiate to keep both. Our warranty has been great for those that needed to use it. A few days went by and then you wanted your money back on the reel.

Keep in mind this a product that was user error and purchased 6+ months prior and used many times. Maybe its a moral/ethical issue for me, but that is an issue. This has never happened to me. So I even consulted with several other companies in the industry during trade shows around the country about this matter and they all agreed. I asked for outside help because I'll admit I don't always have the right answer. The conclusion was this is an issue of cheating the system and one of the factors for product pricing structure.

The reviews were a personal attack. Those do customers no good at all. Also, you did them under fake names all with the same IP address. We have steps in place to prevent those. When/if we get a negative review we try contacting that individual personally to work out the issue if they leave there name in the review. We put a lot of work in our products and I'm proud to say a negative review is rare. I take great pride in that.

No company can have 100% satisfaction, but we all try hard to get as close to that has possible.

I've been on both sides of up's and downs. Some of you that know me personally at trade shows know my story. I did not take a paycheck from May 07 to Dec 2010 so my families business did not have to lay off our plant manager who just had twins and a few other people. I started AFF in May 2008 with no money. I went through my savings, lost my house, filled bankruptcy, and was on unemployment. I even had a stress attack that I thought was a heart attack. Last thing I'm going to do is jeopardize my reputation. When you tasted the bottom its not fun.

I can assure anyone who might read the above post is not a true reflection on myself or my company. We do what we can to make the experience of our customers an enjoyable one and have them come back in the future.

Thank you,

Justin
574-855-7100
Last edited by allenflyfishing; 05-25-2013 at 12:16 AM..
By caseywise on 05-25-2013, 12:41 AM

allen is a new and strong name in our industry.
evolving reels and rods as speak.

i will put trust in these guys as they continue to
evolve..

caset
By newby on 05-25-2013, 12:49 AM

Justin: yet another reasonable, no-nonsense reply to someone who has come on this forum with a perceived issue and not had a leg to stand on.

Every Allen Fly Fishing product I have used is top notch, and every thing I have heard and experienced about the customer service has been second to none. I will continue to support allen fly fishing and hope that no negative reviews like this keep anyone from purchasing from them.
By wlai on 05-25-2013, 01:18 AM

I have the ATS rod and Trout reel and they are very nice products. Have good success with their customer service too, and am working with Kyleon a repair that's my fault and its very reasonable.

It seems that every Allen thread always have the same few disgruntled ex-customers, but it seems like avery isolated incidents as most customers are happy, quietly using the product. Definitely recommended.
By caseywise on 05-25-2013, 01:55 AM

first off i'm a big allen fan.
allen tackle is solid, well made gear with a great warranty and an even greater group of folks backing it up.
sure, as any startup, they had a few hiccups along the way.
but now, becoming a major player
in our industry, they continue to evolve by leaps and bounds.
so keep allen in line!
pun intended

Click the image to open in full size.

great gear!!
Comment

Review Tools