The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Allen & Co. Alpha WOW!!!
Allen & Co. Alpha WOW!!!
Published by ab fisher
04-12-2010
Author review
Performance
100%100%100%
Build Quality
90%90%90%
Appearance
90%90%90%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
100%100%100%
Average 96%
Default Allen & Co. Alpha WOW!!!

Last Friday I had picked up an Alpha 2/4 wt reel from Justin to go on a 4wt rod. I had already picked up a XL in 5/6 wt and am very happy with it so I decided to go the next step up on his reel line to see what the Alpha had.

When I first received the Alpha on Friday 04/09/2010 I was blown away by its appearance. My first impression on the reel was "WOW!!!! What an outstanding looking reel".

So of course, after examining this reels external beauty, by my nature I had to dig into it a little more and find out every little thing that made this thing work. After taking the spool off and examining the spool I found that there were two small ball bearings, one on each side of the spool to slide over the drag stem and keep out any play in the spool much like the two ball bearing in the XL series. One modification from the XL to the Alpha is that the one way bearing has been moved out of the spool and placed directly in the drag stem. I have not noted any real performance differences with it being moved there. The only over all advantage I could find with that is it lightens up to spool and makes it easier to change retrieval sides. The line capacity of the reel is about average for a reel this size. I had spooled up a airflow ridge line tactical trout 90' WF 4wt with about 30-40 yards of Dacron backing and I also had put on a Shark Skin trout taper 100' WF 4wt with about 20 yards of Dacron backing just to see what it could really hold. For a 4wt rod you wonít need any more line than that I donít think, right?

Now to the frame. After fiddling with the spool for a few minutes I had moved on to the frame and drag system. The frame it self is very durable, I had to text Justin and actually ask him if it was a different material than the XL because of how sturdy it was but still very light. The cuts defiantly look nice on the frame but play a very big part in the sturdiness of this reel. After examining the frame I moved on to the drag system. The drag is a large carbon sealed disc system with a wide variation in drag tension. The drag on this reel does not have the start up tension than needs more pressure to start like some that you see on other companies reels. That in tern makes it very gentle on fine tippets and makes it much harder for a fish to break loose. A large drag knob is incorporated on the reel with large cuts so your hand will not slip. This reel defiantly has a top of the line simple drag system that will take some real abuse to wear out.

I was ale to get out this past weekend to fish it and test if my initial observations were correct. By the end of the day I have landed 9 Mountain white fish ranging from 15-21 inches on this reel with out loosing a single fish due to the drag start up tension and was able to land the fish quickly with the mid arbor design. After hooking that many white fish on this reel I have no doubt that this reel will last a life time.

Thank You,

AB
Featured Reviews
By oregonism on 04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Default Re: Allen & Co. Alpha WOW!!!

Any chance you could measure the outside diameter of the Alpha, as well as the width? I want to get a compact large arbor to go on a 5wt, where I won't really need much backing (trout usually don't run very hard).
By thenextlevel on 04-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Member reviews
Performance
100%100%100%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
100%100%100%
Average 100%

I received an Alpha 5/6 a couple of days ago. I was very impressed with the quality of this reel. I haven't had the chance to test it on the water yet, but I have had many different reels over the years and this one feels and looks as good as any.
By boser on 05-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Member reviews
Performance
100%100%100%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
100%100%100%
Average 100%

Well, I heard so much about these Allen Reels, I just had to get one. I picked up a used 5/6 wt Alpha and fished it today. It is awesome...I really like to close tolerances, the larger drag knob. The polished look, When I was loading the spool with backing and fly line, I noticed how it spooled nice and even. I caught a few nice Crappie with the Alpha this morning. I am buying 3 more reels from Justin because I do like the reels. I also like his warranty. It's simple. If it does break, he will fix it.....I'd bet it wont break until I have completely abused it.. Ha!

Thanks for the thread, Boser
By caseywise on 12-07-2010, 09:42 PM

just ordered an alpha 5/6. looking forward to seeing how sweet this thing is. april needs come soon.
By gjcordray on 12-09-2010, 09:30 PM

Is the drag maintenance free? Does anybody know?

I just received my Alpha 5/6 and I have to agree that initially the reel looks and feels top notch. Very light and well made.
By boser on 12-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Member reviews
Performance
100%100%100%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
100%100%100%
Average 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
Is the drag maintenance free? Does anybody know?

I just received my Alpha 5/6 and I have to agree that initially the reel looks and feels top notch. Very light and well made.

I believe it is maintenence free but if you soak it in water while fishing ( It happens to me once in a while) you might want to take it apart and dry it. Justin should really be answering this question but I thought I would chime in...

Regards, Boser
By gjcordray on 12-10-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boser View Post
I believe it is maintenence free but if you soak it in water while fishing ( It happens to me once in a while) you might want to take it apart and dry it. Justin should really be answering this question but I thought I would chime in...

Regards, Boser
Thanks Boser.

It looks like it is and I haven't heard anything different so far. Going out tomorrow to see if I can test that drag.

Gary
By allenflyfishing on 12-10-2010, 10:16 PM

Hi Gary,

The maintenece is pretty simple. Just wipe it off. No need to great. The carbon works better if dry.

Thanks
By gjcordray on 12-11-2010, 07:16 AM

Thanks Justin. Heard you moved? Hope it went well. That has to be a hassle this time of year. Appreciate the reply.

I still can't get over how this reel feels and how it looks. I showed three friends yesterday and they could not believe that it did not cost at least $200. And it is a "bigger" reel than the equivalent size Ross reel. What I mean is that if you compare their Evolution 2 to the Alpha 5/6 (both are for rods in the same line sizes - 5/6) the ALpha has a wider spool and a larger arbor in diameter. It looks closer to an Evolution 3. However, it is not much heavier, only about 3/4 of an ounce. It feels like you could drop it off a building and it would still work just fine (but I won't). It is a very cold day here in Colorado, and I am getting ready to hit the South Platte with a friend. We have our work cut out for us, but I hope to get into some sizable fish and give this thing a workout. Either way I am not at the mall.

Gary
Comment

Review Tools