The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree1Likes

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Redington CT (Classic Trout)
BigCliff
05-24-2010
Sometimes a compromise isn't about settling for the middle ground, its choosing what's best overall. Going to extremes may be more exciting than picking the safe choice, but its frequently foolish and unnecessary. Incredibly specialized tools may be engineering marvels, but the more practical ones...
By stasher1 on 07-16-2010, 12:39 AM
Default Re: Redington CT (Classic Trout)

Have you ever used a standard production rod that felt like it was made specifically for you? That's the way my 8'6" 5wt Redington CT feels in my hand. It has a nice mod/mod-fast action that perfectly matches my natural casting rhythm.

I actually like this rod so much that I have sold all of my other fly rods and replaced them with Redingtons. My "collection" now consists of a 7'6" 3wt CT, 8'6" 5wt CT, and a 7'10" 6wt Predator.
By Pocono on 07-16-2010, 04:58 AM

I purchased one for my wife; an 8'6" 5 wt. Unfortunately, it's heavier than her similarly sized BIIx, looks to me like it's more difficult for her to cast and, so far, it hasn't seen much water time. Probably not a fair comparison.
By stasher1 on 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM

Surprisingly, there's only .075 oz difference between the two rods. Her casting difficulty with the CT is most likely the result of the difference between the fast-action of the BIIx and the more mod/mod-fast action of the CT.
By FrankB2 on 07-16-2010, 03:07 PM

That's the manufacturer's stated weight. I've owned rods that had identical weights, but one felt heavier than the other. Even more surprising was that the top half of both rods were exactly the same weight! The rod that felt lighter had a faster action than the other, however.
By Pocono on 07-16-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher1 View Post
Surprisingly, there's only .075 oz difference between the two rods. Her casting difficulty with the CT is most likely the result of the difference between the fast-action of the BIIx and the more mod/mod-fast action of the CT.
I think you're probably right. Her casting stroke is very quick and probably the only blanks that can keep up with her natural rhythm are those that are fast action. Having said that, she doesn't like my Sage A-axis at all.
By mrbrownliner on 08-10-2010, 08:29 PM

I have the 9' 5 wt. and I have been very happy with it. It is a perfect all around trout rod for here in PA and a fantastic choice for panfish and creek smallies.

I am still shocked at how much rod it is for the money....
By dusty h on 01-03-2011, 04:44 AM

Does the CT have a lifetime warranty like some of the other redington's do? If so, how does their warranty stack up against the likes of someone like TFO?
By BigCliff on 01-03-2011, 09:53 AM

Per the specific terminology on their website, it sounds like they're much pickier about what sorts of breakage they cover than TFO is:

Redington's site-
Quote:
Every new Redington rod purchased through an authorized retailer, with the exception of the Crosswater Series, is covered by our lifetime, original owner warranty. Crosswater Rods are covered by a one-year warranty against defects in materials or workmanship and must include a dated proof of purchase.

This warranty is limited to repair or replacement of the rod only, and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product. This warranty does not cover misuse, neglect, normal wear, fire, theft, loss, or intentional damage. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state.

Redington reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any Redington Product covered by this warranty and the right to replace any discontinued models with the newer models when necessary. Colors may vary between original and replacement parts.
But I have no direct experience with their warranty department, so I can't shed light on how they actually treat car door/ceiling fan/split shot breakages.
By MoscaPescador on 01-03-2011, 11:28 AM

Redington is pretty good on its warranties. Every rod that I have sent back to Redington has been either repaired or replaced.

MP
By mikel on 01-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Redington is pretty good on its warranties. Every rod that I have sent back to Redington has been either repaired or replaced.

MP
Definitely agree on the Redington warrantee service. I've had them replace 3 rods over the years and they were all back in 10 days or less. When I sent them my old RS2 they sent me an RS4 as a replacement, including new tube/sock. Think the cost was $30 at that time. -Mike
Comment

Review Tools