The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree1Likes

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Redington CT (Classic Trout)
BigCliff
05-24-2010
Sometimes a compromise isn't about settling for the middle ground, its choosing what's best overall. Going to extremes may be more exciting than picking the safe choice, but its frequently foolish and unnecessary. Incredibly specialized tools may be engineering marvels, but the more practical ones...
By dusty h on 01-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Default Re: Redington CT (Classic Trout)

Thanks for the response guys. that makes the decision a little easier. how they handled their warranties for own fault breakages was really the only thing that was holding me back. The fact that you have had 3 replaced over the years with no real problems takes a lot of worry out of the equation.
By DSFlyman on 01-08-2011, 01:30 AM

I've actually been thinking about picking up a 2 wt version of this rod - all these comments suggest that's not a bad idea at all. Anyone try that one out?
By gjcordray on 01-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Just curious. How would any of you compare/contrast this rod to other comparable rods: TFO Lefty Kreh Professional and Ross Worldwide Essence FC. Sometimes for me it is little things like reel seats, grip size/shape, finish, customer service, etc. Don't know if anybody had any experience with these others.

Thanks for the review Big Cliff and others.

Gary
By BigCliff on 01-10-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
Just curious. How would any of you compare/contrast this rod to other comparable rods: TFO Lefty Kreh Professional and Ross Worldwide Essence FC. Sometimes for me it is little things like reel seats, grip size/shape, finish, customer service, etc. Don't know if anybody had any experience with these others.

Gary
Compared to the TFO Pro, I find it a bit softer/slower and lighter. I think the TFO Pro will be more impressive casting in a parking lot, and the CT better to fish on the water all day. The whole blank will also have a gloss finish, compared to the Pro's matte finish. My CT has slightly better cork than I generally see on the Pro rods. Also, it comes with a tube and sock.

The only Ross rod I've cast was a 6wt Flystik, and I thought it was a dud. Kinda pretty, but just didn't play well with me.
By Glen Wright on 01-10-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post

Gary
I'd say the CT is between the TFO Finesse & TFO Pro! As the action of the TFO Finnesse is more moderate than the CT and the TFO Pro is faster.
By gjcordray on 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate the information.

Gary
By BigCliff on 01-11-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
I'd say the CT is between the TFO Finesse & TFO Pro! As the action of the TFO Finnesse is more moderate than the CT and the TFO Pro is faster.
Depends on which Finesse you grab. I cast the 7'9" 5wt and was surprised by how punchy the thing was. Plenty of oomph in that one.
By ssmith on 02-09-2011, 10:53 PM

thank you everyone that gave feedback on this rod, there are on 24 days left till small stream trout season in Wisconsin and I have been looking for a good trout rod as my 7wut is a little big. I believe you all have me sold as soon as the tax return gets here. Will report back with my results
By pineman19 on 03-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Member reviews
Performance
100%100%100%
Build Quality
90%90%90%
Appearance
90%90%90%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
100%100%100%
Average 96%
Thumbs up Re: Redington CT (Classic Trout)

I bought a 9' 5 weight, 4 pc. CT last fall after reading some great reviews. So far, I haven't been disappointed. I have used the on the tailwaters of East TN and the mountain streams of the Smoky Mountains. It has performed great on both types of waters, casts very well, roll casts and traditional casts. It has become one of my favorite all around rods. I like a more moderate action, for the feel and ability to roll cast well when it is needed. I would eventaully like to get a 6 pc. for backcountry trips. I only wish they made the 6 pc. in the 4 weight size.

Neal
By dusty h on 04-18-2011, 05:35 PM

Finally picked up a 9' 5wt yesterday. Going to Flaming Gorge and the Green in a couple of weeks so I cant wait to put it to use.
Comment

Review Tools