The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree1Likes

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Redington CT (Classic Trout)
BigCliff
05-24-2010
Sometimes a compromise isn't about settling for the middle ground, its choosing what's best overall. Going to extremes may be more exciting than picking the safe choice, but its frequently foolish and unnecessary. Incredibly specialized tools may be engineering marvels, but the more practical ones...
By swirlchaser on 04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Default Re: Redington CT (Classic Trout)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty h View Post
Finally picked up a 9' 5wt yesterday. Going to Flaming Gorge and the Green in a couple of weeks so I cant wait to put it to use.
Good luck, I hope you like it as much as I like mine!
By Rob11 on 04-22-2011, 02:23 PM

Just ordered a 8'6" #4 from a local shop who is honoring the $129. I'm looking forward to using this on our smaller eastern streams and rivers, and having a backup 4 weight I can hand to my nephew as he learns how to cast. These rods are impressive and a real value. Thanks for the detailed review.
By Walter1023 on 04-22-2011, 05:03 PM

I have the 8' 6" 4 weight....its a great rod...and i'm a fast action lover but this is a great change of pace (moderate action) and casts wonderful. My other go to rod is as fast as they come 9' 5 weight sage XP----so go figure.
By 57hotrodvw on 04-25-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the review, Cliff. Your thoughts echo many other good reviews that I've seen on this relatively inexpensive rod, and it's one that I'm heavily leaning towards the purchase of.
By BigCliff on 04-25-2011, 11:27 AM

Glad to have helped. I still fish the thing, and enjoy it quite a bit.

I see its creeping up on 5000 views. No thank you card from Redington yet...

I'm now using Airflo's Ridge Nymph line on it, and I think that's slowed it down a bit much. This rod is probably best suited to something like a SA Trout or Rio Gold line, compared to a SA GPX or Rio Grand.

Actually, I might really like it with a SA Mastery Textured Magnum in 4wt. Hmmm....
By jpbfly on 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM

quote:I see its creeping up on 5000 views. No thank you card from Redington yet...

Cliff I haven't got my free Scott rod yet either
By Rob11 on 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM

Just received my Redington CT 8'6" 4wt. over the weekend, and all I can say is wow! This rod is beautifully finished with nice cork and is light as a feather. It balances perfectly with my Ross Cimarron 2. It casts like butter with power when needed and excellent accuracy. I still can't believe the value of this rod for a price of $129. I bought it from a local fly shop, and it's nice when you can honor a local merchant.

This rod is 1/5th of the price of an equivalent casting rod from one of the high-end manufacturers. It reminds me of the Sage ZXL in terms of its soft and medium action casting style. I have a ZXL in a 9'0" 5wt., and it's one of my favorite rods; however, I put the Redington CT right there with it in terms of quality build and casting capability for shorter distances. Certainly the ZXL has some power to spare, but I didn't feel under gunned at all with the CT.

To Cliff and all who posted about this rod, thanks! I was looking for a backup 4 weight to have in an emergency or to hand to my nephew when we go fishing. I'm now going to have to flip a coin to determine which 4 weight to start the day with.

The line I'm using is Airflo's Ridge in a 4 weight, but I may go to a Rio Gold or an SA Mastery Trout. I have an SA Trout 4 weight in a DT, but I haven't had a chance to try it with the rod. That's my next task.
By oregonism on 05-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Member reviews
Performance
100%100%100%
Build Quality
80%80%80%
Appearance
80%80%80%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 90%

I finally picked one of these up in a 9ft 5wt, and I am pretty impressed with the rod. As others have said, the build is very nice for a $150 rod (what I paid for it so I could buy locally). There is a little bit of filler in the cork, but the reel seat is nicer than expected. I love the color of the blank as well. I expected a darker brown, but it's almost amber-ish in the sunlight.

The action is phenomenal. You have to slow down, but it is sooooo smooth and buttery. Really fun to cast. It works just fine with an indicator and split shot, but obviously shines with a dry. Mending line is super easy and throwing a roll cast is a dream, but you definitely have to slow down and let the rod load. I am looking forward to learning some trick casts with it.

I'd read one other review that said the rod was a bit "tip heavy", and I kind of agree. I have a pfleuger trion, which isn't really a featherweight reel, and the rod still isn't quite balanced with it. It's only noticeable when you're carrying the rod, not casting.

All in all, I am excited to have a new general purpose trout rod that was a steal at $150. I'll probably put 40-50 good days on it this summer, and love every second of it. I just can't wait to put a nice bend in it. The bite was off last weekend
By mvalbano on 08-27-2011, 09:16 PM

great review
By fly_guy12955 on 12-02-2012, 10:04 PM

Have two Redington CT's,,,3 wt 8 1/2ft and 2wt , 7 1/2 ft. I got the 2wt on sale,,as I wanted a 7'6" Brookie mt stream rod,,then found the 3wt for 64 dollars new... and could NOT pass that deal up. I love them rods. Caught about a 3lb rainbow on the 3wt a few weeks ago,,that was the thrill of this fall so far. The CT's weren't made to collect or wooo the elite,,they were made to catch fish,,and they excel at that. And with a lifetime warranty.

But,,honestly, they look JUST FINE. One'a the best values for the dollar I've found since coming back to the Coven...

I found some CT's ,,,ummm...Cabelas ?? maybe,,anyways,,they are 79 dollars...as the guy said the other day,,,,you outta wear a bandit mask when you order one.

Michael
Last edited by fly_guy12955; 12-03-2012 at 01:47 AM..
Comment

Review Tools