The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree1Likes

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Redington CT (Classic Trout)
BigCliff
05-24-2010
Sometimes a compromise isn't about settling for the middle ground, its choosing what's best overall. Going to extremes may be more exciting than picking the safe choice, but its frequently foolish and unnecessary. Incredibly specialized tools may be engineering marvels, but the more practical ones...
By mudbug on 12-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Default Re: Redington CT (Classic Trout)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacanadio View Post
"It is the same blank with different cosmetics."

What he also didn't say is that it lists for $20 more than the CT did .

FWIW.

Bob

They are putting it more in line with the TFO Finesse.
By pb_colorado on 12-25-2012, 02:27 PM

I recently purchased a CT 4pc 2wt (7' 6") on clearance, and am looking for recommendations for outfitting it with a reel and line.

For the reel, I am considering a new Redington Drift 2/3 as this is the lightest reel I have been able to find or a Ross Flyrise 1. I currently own a Pflueger Medalist 1494 (1990's era) that I would love to put on a dry fly rod for an "old school" fun factor, but I fear the reel may be a bit too heavy for this rod. I have not been able to find the specs on the 1494 to find the weight, and I need to dig it out of my storage shed to see how it feels on the rod. That point aside, are there any suggestions for a well matched reel for this rod at the $100 +/- price point?

My biggest question is about the line: should I go with a WF2 (like RIO Gold) or a DT2 (like RIO Trout LT, RIO Mainstream or Cabela's Prestige)? I anticipate using this rod almost exclusively for dry fly fishing casting at short to medium distances. I do most my fishing from a raft, with occasional wade fishing on smaller mountain creeks and streams. This rod will be used primarily on the latter, however I will probably take it on the raft to set up with smaller patterns to cast to risers in the foam lines. Can anyone comment on performance of the rod with either WF and/or DT lines - I have seen reviews on both set ups. I generally fish WF lines on my faster action rods (such as RIO Grand WF4 on my Redington CPX rod), but I am concerned that a WF line on this rod may load it up too much given it's moderate/medium action. I fished DT lines a LONG time ago with older rods I no longer have, and always remember them being a little more delicate in their presentation as compared to WF that I tend to fish now. That delicate action is what I am leaning towards now with this 2wt, but if the WF line will not overload this rod's action I think it would be easier to cast than a DT line. Any comments and experience here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by pb_colorado; 12-26-2012 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: added length of the rod
By swirlchaser on 12-27-2012, 11:07 AM

Bass Pro has them on clearance for $99. Looks like all sizes in stock
By kebo072 on 12-29-2012, 05:33 PM

Just ordered one from Cabelas. ordered a CT rod, Sage fly line, and store brand mid arbor reel all for $125!!!
Comment

Review Tools