The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Gear Reviews (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/gear-reviews/)
-   -   Sage TXL 7'10" 1wt (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/gear-reviews/143546-sage-txl-710-1wt.html)

creeker 05-30-2011 07:47 AM

Sage TXL 7'10" 1wt

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/a...lues/sage1.jpg

For those who love small creeks and streams, the Sage TXL rod, Click Series Reel, and Quiet DT Line, join together to form an integrated ultralight flyfishing system.

The TXL rod is extremely light (less than 2oz) with a fast action tip. The lower portion of the rod is actually quite stiff. This works well against wind that might otherwise confound a UL angler.

It casts effortlessly with the ability to put small flies where you want them. If need be, putting 30' of line out is not an issue with this rod. And, it can handle a dropper set-up or nymph rig if that's what's needed to get the job done.

The Click Series reel is a work of art and priced like one to boot at $300.00. However, if you have the money, it's designed for the TXL rod series and, quite frankly, once sat, you'll not want to take it off. Light weight with a LA design, it is a smooth winding piece of equipment. The 'drag' control is very functional in providing enough 'click' to prevent even a 16" fish from causing backlash. The bronze finish is just plain sexy.

And, finally, the Quite Taper DT line just shoot through the guides like no other. Sage discourages a WF line for this system and I have to agree. By mating up weight to weight, you get a perfect marriage of balance, engineering, and fun!

For UL anglers, this makes the experience much more rewarding. If it were not so dang pricey, I'd give it tens across the board. But, in this economy.....

Waterborne 07-10-2011 09:35 PM

Re: Sage TXL 7'10" 1wt

Looks like a sweet set up for the type of waters I just started fishing!

mvalbano 08-27-2011 09:17 PM

nice rod, I have fished one before and they are absoultley light.

swampdonkey 08-27-2011 10:04 PM

I treated myself to this exact setup last year. I hardly ever fish it (why do I keep it?) but this afternoon I decided to stray from my normal New England Rainbow hunting and chased small brookies. At times today on a tight stream I wished I had a little shorter rod but overall love this setup. I mostly caught the 6-7 inch brookies on dries but was surprised to find a 13 inch rainbow in a deep hole with a nymph rig. It was a lot of fun on a 1wt. Really love this rod and reel despite the investment.

ultralightidaho 03-15-2012 12:03 AM

I have the same combo, and I love it.

jborn 03-15-2012 10:09 AM

I have been fishing with a 0 wt three piece Sage with a Click reel for the last two seasons and I have really enjoyed the rod. The weight is very light and the casting characteristics are excellent. I use the rod on small streams like the Pecos, Jemez and the Costilla in NM. I have landed a number of “large” ~13 inches rainbows with this setup using 6 or 7x tippet. This is by far my favorite rod for small streams.

I recently picked up a 2wt Sage three piece rod at an estate sale and I put a Galvan R3 reel on it. I have only fished the rod once and it compares very favorably with the 0 wt although a little heavier with the Galvan reel. I selected the Galvan reel for the 2 wt as I hope to use this rod on some larger water later this spring and I wanted a better drag system.

jlb

comeonavs 03-16-2012 08:08 PM

How do you like your 2 weight, I have a 1,3,4 wt TXL's and have often toyed with the idea of getting a 2 weight but wondered if there really is that much of a difference to warrant the purchase.

The 4 does over the 3 just in power casting larger flies in the wind.