The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Sage TXL 7'10" 1wt
Sage TXL 7'10" 1wt
including the Sage Click II and Sage Quiet Taper DT Line
Published by creeker
05-30-2011
Author review
Performance
100%100%100%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
80%80%80%
Value
70%70%70%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 88%
Default Sage TXL 7'10" 1wt

Click the image to open in full size.

For those who love small creeks and streams, the Sage TXL rod, Click Series Reel, and Quiet DT Line, join together to form an integrated ultralight flyfishing system.

The TXL rod is extremely light (less than 2oz) with a fast action tip. The lower portion of the rod is actually quite stiff. This works well against wind that might otherwise confound a UL angler.

It casts effortlessly with the ability to put small flies where you want them. If need be, putting 30' of line out is not an issue with this rod. And, it can handle a dropper set-up or nymph rig if that's what's needed to get the job done.

The Click Series reel is a work of art and priced like one to boot at $300.00. However, if you have the money, it's designed for the TXL rod series and, quite frankly, once sat, you'll not want to take it off. Light weight with a LA design, it is a smooth winding piece of equipment. The 'drag' control is very functional in providing enough 'click' to prevent even a 16" fish from causing backlash. The bronze finish is just plain sexy.

And, finally, the Quite Taper DT line just shoot through the guides like no other. Sage discourages a WF line for this system and I have to agree. By mating up weight to weight, you get a perfect marriage of balance, engineering, and fun!

For UL anglers, this makes the experience much more rewarding. If it were not so dang pricey, I'd give it tens across the board. But, in this economy.....
Featured Reviews
By Waterborne on 07-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Default Re: Sage TXL 7'10" 1wt

Looks like a sweet set up for the type of waters I just started fishing!
By mvalbano on 08-27-2011, 09:17 PM

nice rod, I have fished one before and they are absoultley light.
By swampdonkey on 08-27-2011, 10:04 PM

I treated myself to this exact setup last year. I hardly ever fish it (why do I keep it?) but this afternoon I decided to stray from my normal New England Rainbow hunting and chased small brookies. At times today on a tight stream I wished I had a little shorter rod but overall love this setup. I mostly caught the 6-7 inch brookies on dries but was surprised to find a 13 inch rainbow in a deep hole with a nymph rig. It was a lot of fun on a 1wt. Really love this rod and reel despite the investment.
By ultralightidaho on 03-14-2012, 11:03 PM

I have the same combo, and I love it.
By jborn on 03-15-2012, 09:09 AM

I have been fishing with a 0 wt three piece Sage with a Click reel for the last two seasons and I have really enjoyed the rod. The weight is very light and the casting characteristics are excellent. I use the rod on small streams like the Pecos, Jemez and the Costilla in NM. I have landed a number of “large” ~13 inches rainbows with this setup using 6 or 7x tippet. This is by far my favorite rod for small streams.

I recently picked up a 2wt Sage three piece rod at an estate sale and I put a Galvan R3 reel on it. I have only fished the rod once and it compares very favorably with the 0 wt although a little heavier with the Galvan reel. I selected the Galvan reel for the 2 wt as I hope to use this rod on some larger water later this spring and I wanted a better drag system.

jlb
By comeonavs on 03-16-2012, 07:08 PM

How do you like your 2 weight, I have a 1,3,4 wt TXL's and have often toyed with the idea of getting a 2 weight but wondered if there really is that much of a difference to warrant the purchase.

The 4 does over the 3 just in power casting larger flies in the wind.
Comment

Review Tools