The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
G.Loomis StreamDance Metolius - By Doug Macnair
Published by Fish Bones
03-02-2005
Author review
PerformanceN/A
Build QualityN/A
AppearanceN/A
ValueN/A
OverallN/A
Average N/A%
Default G.Loomis StreamDance Metolius - By Doug Macnair

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair:
Product Update
Click the image to open in full size.The G.Loomis StreamDance Metolius

As promised, I am back with a look at the more inexpensive side of the StreamDance series, the Metolius. At the outset let me suggest that I was impressed from the moment I removed this little beauty from its case. By the way, the case for the Metolius is exactly the same as the one for its bigger brother, the GLX. That may be a little thing to some, but to me, it is a BIG THING. All too often I have witnessed the so-called lesser rod forced to live in something quite different from its more expensive brethren. Compare Green carry case against green carry case and the rods appear to be the same other than the thoughtful description inscribed in the cap.

Pull the rod from its case, assemble it, and the Metolius exudes the same fit and finish as the GLX. It is, without doubt, a very pretty rod. Nothing cheap here, nothing at all - pretty cork, lovely finish – in short, a package you can be proud of.

For this review, I chose the littlest StreamDance of them all – the Metolius 7-foot, 3-piece, 3-weight (FR843-3SD) with the Presentation Action (Med-Fast). Delighted with my choice? You bet! At the outset, be aware that this is one lovely little rod capable of great things and perfectly suited for the high country. Recall those beaver ponds with the gin-clear water and spooky trout? Or those small narrow meadow streams so hard to cast to? Or better yet, those high mountain lakes where the trout depend on the wind and terrestrials for their primary food source? If you were ever skunked, be skunked no more because this little Metolius is the rod for you!

The waters I just mentioned typically call for a 12-foot leader as a minimum. I wondered at how the little 7-footer would handle a long leader… Having recently reported on Scientific Anglers new L2L System, I rigged accordingly using two Scientific Anglers lines: a Mastery Trout WF-3F and a Mastery XPS Exact Presentation WF-3F. I couldn’t be more pleased with my decision.

I learned a lot! So much for teaching old dogs new tricks – this old dog quickly learned that the little Metolius handled both lines and their 12-foot leader connections with ease and, more importantly, produced tight loops and extraordinary accuracy. Prior to this event, I had not cast the XPS “exact presentation.” Now that I have, I know of no way to get a line upon the water more gently than with this rig.

Listen closely. If you hear moaning from above it surely emanates from the Ancient Fish Gods. And that, my friends, suggests your days of frustration in the high country are soon to end. Carry these two lines and my guess is your future will be blessed with strong hookups.
Featured Reviews
By BigCliff on 05-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Default Re: G.Loomis StreamDance Metolius - By Doug Macnair

Doug, have you cast the 8' 3wt in this series? I might be interested in that one instead of the Scott E2.
By Curtis on 05-18-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff
Doug, have you cast the 8' 3wt in this series? I might be interested in that one instead of the Scott E2.
No, definately the E2!! That is such a sweet stick.
By BigCliff on 05-18-2005, 03:51 PM

dude you are nosy! jk

I have a preference for Scott rods, but those new Loomis seem pretty sweet too. I also have a preference for 3 pc rods. Might be associated with the fact that I've always lived near the Trinity river, went to Trinity University, always been a mainline protestant (holy trinity, all that), and have an abnormal preference for music in waltz form (3 beats per measure). But I 'm not sure.

Actually, I think its because a 3pc rod breaks down small enough to carry on a plane or strap on a pack, but has fewer joints and is lighter than the same rod in a 4 pc. More tube, less overlap has to be better!

That new TFO rod will actually be my first 4pc (or more) rod. I'm sure I'll decide I need a 5+ pc "breifcase rod" someday.
By Curtis on 05-18-2005, 04:49 PM

Hey, I am kind of nosy. SO!?!

I did not know you were a Christian. Good to know, Brother. I too am a B.A.C.

<><
By BigCliff on 05-18-2005, 04:56 PM

Yup, Christian smartarse liberal. Who'da thunk it?

Wait, Methodists count right?

Play drums with the "praise team" (church band for the unintiated) on Sundays.

Joke:
What's the difference between Methodists and Baptists?

Methodists acknowledge each other in the Liquor store.
By Curtis on 05-18-2005, 05:54 PM

LOL!!!! That's funny. I definately am not a liberal. Attend a Baptist church and will still acknowledge you in the liquor store. Don't much like the hard stuff but love a beer here and there.

I have been thinking about picking the drumsticks back up at church. Played in a punk rock band as a young un'. That might be a better use of my limited skills though.
By BigCliff on 05-18-2005, 06:25 PM

I was gonna post "maybe I better pull that joke, there's bound to be a Baptist around here somewhere", but I guess it's too late for that one.

I'm curious, is yours a Southern Baptist church, or one of the other flavors?

I play on one of the electronic kits at church. It's not nearly the same as an actual kit, but I get to play alot harder than if it was. They can and do turn me down when the blue hairs start gripin'. My younger sister is only 23 and is already the primary youth minister for the church. She's the good child, I'll always be the "worldly" one.
By Curtis on 05-18-2005, 07:19 PM

I am in a CBC church (conservative Baptist)

We too have an electronic kit. I also attend a Calvary Chapel and that band does some rockin'.
By Fish Bones on 05-18-2005, 08:43 PM

Yea... I tried out the StreamDance Metolius the last time I was in church too.
Comment

Review Tools