The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
dougm's Avatar Cortland's 444 Sylk
dougm
03-06-2005
The Fly Fishing Column:
A Product Update©
Cortland’s Sylk (A 444 Classic Line)
Click here to read the entire review
By Frank Whiton on 03-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Default Re: Cortland's 444 Sylk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm View Post
I seriously doubt that you would stand and show us your casting acumen. You have already offered us details on your inability to adapt your stoke - if you have one - to the cast.

Your snide comments are just that -- snide. I note your "knowledgeable" experience failed to note details about your rod. It seems apparent to me that you know little about fly casting.
Doug,

You are way out of line in your comments. This is a friendly board and this is not the type of post I expect to see especially from a moderator. We are all entitled to our opinions even if they don't agree with yours. You owe this fellow an apology.
By mojo on 03-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Default Re: Cortland's 444 Sylk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm View Post
I seriously doubt that you would stand and show us your casting acumen. You have already offered us details on your inability to adapt your stoke - if you have one - to the cast.

Your snide comments are just that -- snide. I note your "knowledgeable" experience failed to note details about your rod. It seems apparent to me that you know little about fly casting.
Doug, I've called you a pompous ass before, and I'll stand by my guns. I guess a leapard can't change it's spots.
Frank, I wouldn't hold my breath for any apology from him to anyone.

On a side note. I have Sylk in 4w WF and 5w DT. I like it on my glass and bamboo rods. It does have a tendency for the first 4 or 5' of tip to sink right off the bat on both lines. I just use mucillin to grease it up every now and then. I do like the thinner diameter, which gives me an idea to try the 5w line on my 4w rods to see how they perform.
By mojo on 07-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Default Re: Cortland's 444 Sylk UPDATE

UPDATE-It's been now more than a year since the last post. Since then I've gotten rid of all my Sylk lines (actually only 2) . Some of the worst floating line made, but I'll admit they're probably the best sink tip lines out there for sub surface fishing. I just got tired of having to grease the first four or so feet every half hour or less.
Rio Selective Trout or STII kicks Sylks ass every time for a number of reasons.
Don't waste your money on a gimmick.
Comment

Review Tools