The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
dougm's Avatar Cortland's 555 High Float Dyna-Tip
dougm
03-18-2005
[img2="left"]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28&stc=1&thumb=1[/img2]The Fly Fishing Column: A Product Update©
Cortland’s 555 High Float Dyna-TipClick here to read the entire review
By dougm on 12-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Default Re: Cortland's 555 High Float Dyna-Tip

Click the image to open in full size.
The majority of Cortland's 555 series feature their proprietary mono-core as depicted here. Vastly different than the more conventional braided centers, the mono-core lines tend to be somewhat larger in diameter than their more traditional counterparts. Consequently, a mono-core 555 will occupy more space on the spool resulting in the loss some backing.

However, not all 555 lines feature the mono-core center. The 555 Dyna-Tip is just such an example. It features a low memory nylon braided core that has little effect on the diameter of the line.

It may be important to note that the increased diameter of the mono-core lines does not imply that they are "heavier" than their counterparts. The fact is the first 30-feet of a 5-weight line will weigh between 134 and 146 grains regardless of the core. That's the AFTMA standard.

Doug
By tie one on on 12-07-2005, 07:06 PM

Doug,

Thank you for the clarification on the 555 Dyna-Tip fly line. Since I was planning on buying this line for my 9wt salmon rod I did not really want to lose valuable backing room on the spool. Thank you.

Tie One On
By Jakeway on 04-29-2006, 07:57 PM

Just this week I tried a 555 Ghost Tip WF5F/F. It floated and shot through the guides great, but the coating fealt like a plastic tube, and was sort of sticky in my line hand. I had to return the line; I just couldn't get used to the feel.

Does the 555 Dyna TIp have a different coating with a different feel?
By dougm on 04-30-2006, 12:19 PM

Hi Jake,

Because its construction is different from the other 555's, I think you will like the feel of the Dyna-Tip ... I know I do.

Doug
By fshfanatic on 04-30-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie one on
555 Dyna-Tip High Float

I was at my favorite flyshop in my area of Michigan this past Saturday morning & asked about this line. One of the guys mentioned that in order to get this "high floating" Cortland had a increase the line diameter. Has anyone heard this same comment ? I know I can trust the guys at this shop, but now my curiousity is up. According to the articles I've read & comments from many of you this line works like a dream. Any additional thoughts or comments. I want to be sure before I spend the $55 for this line.

Tie One On
I have yet to find a reputable flyshop that wont take back a line if it isnt what you like. Ask about their return policy or ask Steve. Steve will replace your line if you dont like it.
Comment

Review Tools