The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
dougm's Avatar The Finest Reels you can Ill Afford NOT to buy
dougm
07-30-2007
Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair:
A Product Update©
The Finest Fly Reels you can Ill Afford
Not...
By dougm on 09-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Default Re: The Finest Reels you can Ill Afford NOT to buy

Yes -- silent and very very smooth on retrieve...
By thecardiackid on 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM

Agreed.

Just rec'd mine today, and VERY impressed - considering the cost. I had actually found this site while searching for info on the 101. And the reviews here helped my decision to buy one. Glad I did.
By Cangetcold on 01-30-2008, 10:40 AM

I bought a 101 based on the above review. My rationalizing was that IF this were true then about $50 would be well spent. If the reel was cr@p... Well – just be nice to the wife, do the dishes and get her flowers and all would be forgotten.

I put the 101 on a 4wt rod and had a blast with 1-2 pound trout. I went late-autumn fishing in some lakes here in Iceland for a couple of days. The reel functioned perfectly and gave me no trouble in extremely adverse conditions: rain, sleet, snow and very cold weather. I switched rods/reels and left the 101 exposed to the elements, as well as dropped it in sand.
I never had any problems with the reel. Adjusting the drag in the cold with numb fingers was easy and all in all I was very pleased with the performance.

In the same trip I had two other reels for my 6wt: a cheap reel (DAM Flytech ST) and an Orvis Battenkil Bar Stock. The 101 far surpassed the DAM in all ways and IMHO was more enjoyable to fish than the Orvis. Time will tell whether the 101 will last as well as the Orvis which has given me steady and reliable service for several years.

Mechanically the reel is simple. IMHO that is always a big plus in reels. Simple = less likely to break down.

I also purchased a WF line from A.R.E. It functioned adequately but IMHO is not an ideal line for cold conditions. Get’s “lumpy” in the cold and the memory increases.

There are some negative aspects to the 101 but they are minor:
Switching left/right is not easy. I recommend that is done before setting off and if you need to do it on-site then do so with your hands and reel in a clear plastic bag. Check and re-check assembly before use.

The reel I got had slight markings on it. These are hidden by the line and were insignificant. They do not in any way affect the functionality but if I had seen them in a shop I would probably have selected another 101 reel.
The info included is minimal but figuring out the backing and where to oil is easy.

My ONLY big complaint with the reel is the A.R.E. marking. It’s a measly silver sticker and looks cheap. Nothing else regarding this reel looks, feels or even indicates cheap. This is a great, solid and robust reel and A.R.E. should engrave their logo in it.

Bottom line: these reels are worth their price and more.
By lindmar on 02-21-2008, 09:25 AM

I'm going to give these a try.

I noticed he has added to the auction..
" To answer a question posed to me a number of times. YES, THESE REELS ARE THE SAME AS ONES SELLING FOR 4 TO 8 TIMES THE PRICE. They are a tremendous buy and an incredible value. Extra spools and other colrs will be available in late March."

Is he actually making these or are they being outsourced? Makes me think he has found the same place in china building the same reels for someone else?

I did some searching and found a few that look similar but not identical..
By thecardiackid on 02-22-2008, 10:51 AM

They are from China - I found the mfr after some searching. But still very well made.

Performance wise - I took mine down to the San Juan last weekend to give it a workout. And the trout cooperated. If you haven't fished this river, it may be hard to appreciate the size and power these fish can deliver.

In 2 days I hooked about 20, landed about 14 - many of which were 20"+ And the reel performed GREAT. In fact the first fish (once it realized it was actually hooked) ran me about 70 yards across the river and spit the hook. The reel was smooth and the drag was easy to adjust (during the brief fight). Also, it was very smooth stripping line off for casting.

The slient winding takes a bit to get used to, but this reel is certainly worth >>> $50.

My only gripe would be the capacity, b/c w/ a decent amount of backing - the line can get one sided as you're reeling in a fish (not looking @ the reel as you're trying to keep the fish out of the fast water) and 'bundle up'. Easy to fix, and my fault - not paying attention.
By lindmar on 02-23-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecardiackid View Post
They are from China - I found the mfr after some searching. But still very well made.

Performance wise - I took mine down to the San Juan last weekend to give it a workout. And the trout cooperated. If you haven't fished this river, it may be hard to appreciate the size and power these fish can deliver.

In 2 days I hooked about 20, landed about 14 - many of which were 20"+ And the reel performed GREAT. In fact the first fish (once it realized it was actually hooked) ran me about 70 yards across the river and spit the hook. The reel was smooth and the drag was easy to adjust (during the brief fight). Also, it was very smooth stripping line off for casting.

The slient winding takes a bit to get used to, but this reel is certainly worth >>> $50.

My only gripe would be the capacity, b/c w/ a decent amount of backing - the line can get one sided as you're reeling in a fish (not looking @ the reel as you're trying to keep the fish out of the fast water) and 'bundle up'. Easy to fix, and my fault - not paying attention.
Thanks for posting this.
Do you remember which manufacturer? Also..

Which larger company is selling these reels for 4-5 times a price.. Did you find that?
By axle27 on 03-20-2008, 09:51 AM

Fly Reels Manufacturer exporting direct from China

I'm interested in this. I'm definately more into machined metal than die-cast. I'm looking to get a nice reel that I can have on my 9ft.-5WT St. Croix for years to come. I believe that the link above is to who makes this.
By lindmar on 03-22-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Fly Reels Manufacturer exporting direct from China

I'm interested in this. I'm definately more into machined metal than die-cast. I'm looking to get a nice reel that I can have on my 9ft.-5WT St. Croix for years to come. I believe that the link above is to who makes this.
I've been exploring this for a few months now.
The reels you'll find on Alibaba you'll also find the exact same ones from about 100 different chinese exports..

I've gotten price quotes from about 30 of them, so the problem is, many of these dealers on Alibaba are middle men, taking a cut and getting the product...

I found one dealer where the price was the lowest.. around $20-25 per aluminum machined reel. Which to me, still seems high that being said I think finding the actual maker will be next to impossible without taking a trip to China.

I'm willing to organize a buy if some people are interested. We can get a small sample order of possibly 10-15

Here is an idea of pricing BTW you'll see some very nice looking and recognizable reels :-)
Take a look here

fly rod,fly reel,fly box-weis fishing tackle -www.cnflyfishing.com

The FFC and FFW Reels run the highest in pricing around $38-45 bucks a pop. Looks like a very nice reel

The CLF which are the same as what we're talking about here start at $24 and go up to $36 a pop.

If anyone is interested let me know. I'm interested in checking of the FFC'/FFW

I've also got pricing on rods from various manufacturers which I'd also be interested in checking out.
By axle27 on 03-23-2008, 12:21 PM

Thanx. I'm a newbie in every sense of the word. I would be interested in either reel. I really like the idea that it's machined aluminum, rather than die-case. If done right, this sort of reel could last me the rest of my life. I like that idea.

Spending money for the name is not ALWAYS the smartest thing...and you just can't fix stupid.
By mojo on 03-23-2008, 01:08 PM

Fly Reel FR009 Manufacturer exporting direct from China
What major brand does this reel look like?
These look good on the internet. I'm glad a few of you bought them (101's) and like them. How's the tolerances? Maybe I'll check one out soon.
Looking at the Vom Hoffe, that little reel is 10½ ounces. OUCH. Good looking but heavy.
Comment

Review Tools