The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
dougm's Avatar The Finest Reels you can Ill Afford NOT to buy
dougm
07-30-2007
Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair:
A Product Update©
The Finest Fly Reels you can Ill Afford
Not...
By lindmar on 03-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Default Re: The Finest Reels you can Ill Afford NOT to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Fly Reel FR009 Manufacturer exporting direct from China
What major brand does this reel look like?
These look good on the internet. I'm glad a few of you bought them (101's) and like them. How's the tolerances? Maybe I'll check one out soon.
Looking at the Vom Hoffe, that little reel is 10½ ounces. OUCH. Good looking but heavy.
I got some more info today from a manufacturer and some other reels as well as pricing.

I will let you all know and we can look at placing an order.
By fishfinder on 04-15-2008, 12:38 AM

I could not find Anglers Roost anywhere on E-Bay.
By Cangetcold on 04-16-2008, 03:30 AM

Just write "101 reel" in the search window of E-bay.
By Brunner on 04-24-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindmar View Post
I got some more info today from a manufacturer and some other reels as well as pricing.

I will let you all know and we can look at placing an order.

Any ideas as to price and model of which ones we could do a group buy on?
By marcelnl on 05-15-2008, 01:13 PM

just got my #5-6 reel, spare spool and fly box, the reel and spool look and feel just great and the tackle box (also great stuff) is probably made in the same factory Okuma uses yet that one did cost three times more and was one tird of the size.

I am definitely impressed by the build quality, the euro > dollar rate also helped ;-)
By plland on 06-23-2008, 12:35 PM

I got a Reel 101 a few months ago and have had some time to test it. Here's what I think: it looks great and feels great, and is a great value but doesn't perform as well as I'd like it to.

The reel itself is extremely well machined and looks good. At 4 ounces, it's lighter than almost all the mid range and entry level large arbor reels, and plenty light enough to balance ultralight rods (4 oz listed weight, that is.. I really need to start weighing these things myself, I know, I know...). The clicker engages only when paying line out. On retrieve, I can spin the spool and it will turn several times before stopping. Literally no friction on the retrieve. Ideally, this means that when I get a big fish on, and I've got a mile of coiled line at my feet, I can just hit the spool a couple times, and let it take up some line automatically. In practice it doesn't work out completely. Like any large arbor, you have to be mindful that your line doesn't bunch up on the spool. However, the easy spinning retrieve does help. Did I mention the price? For less than $70, this is a great deal for a large arbor machined reel for 3-4 weight lines with disc drag that weighs only 4 ounces.

There's only one negative, and that's the drag. It simply isn't very smooth. Yes it's fully adjustable with a central knob, yes it has a clicker and yes it's fully sealed so no sand or grit will get into it while you are fishing. Those are all good things. However, when I pull line out of the reel manually to feel the drag myself, there's a certain subtle but distinct unevenness in the amount of force applied by the drag as the spool spins around. At the heavier settings, the drag will even stop the line in mid pull until the spool turns a fraction of a turn more. Although it seems a little more even than this at the lighter settings, at some point, it's actually smoother to palm the spool to put even drag on it and that's not a good thing. I tried taking the reel apart to perhaps replace the drag disc with something better (I like the mechanics of this reel so much I really want it to have a decent drag), but was unable to get it open. So much for an inexpensive reel that does it all.

If you want a lightweight, well machined, large arbor reel with a so-so disc drag, this is a good bet. If you want all those qualities, but a silky smooth disc drag, look at Orvis, Lamson, Ross or other premium reel makers.
By flyexpert on 07-19-2008, 09:41 AM

by the way on this site are good items too fishingusa.fortunecity.com USA Fishing checked
By tlcrep on 07-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Default Re: The Finest Reels you can Ill Afford NOT to buy(AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!)

Check out http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...reel-5982.html
If you still want to buy caveat emptor.
By plland on 07-20-2008, 08:38 PM

For a product with a slogan that both contains grammatical and structural errors, and also doesn't completely make sense, we shouldn't really have expected much. And yes, this "The Finest Reels you can Ill Afford NOT to buy" review is included in the paperwork when you buy one of their new reels, so it is actually an official slogan written by the company.
By tlcrep on 07-21-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plland View Post
For a product with a slogan that both contains grammatical and structural errors, and also doesn't completely make sense, we shouldn't really have expected much. And yes, this "The Finest Reels you can Ill Afford NOT to buy" review is included in the paperwork when you buy one of their new reels, so it is actually an official slogan written by the company.

Great, a super moderator schilling for a company that has an inferior product, and apparently everyone who has called the owner of the company or emailed him has been treated rudely! Maybe Steve should have a little talk with the super moderator who is schilling this product?

Maybe someone should do ANOTHER review on this, including how the drag works, and the experience people have had with this "individual" so the suckers arent drawn in by a "super moderator" that they trust?
Comment

Review Tools