The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
dougm's Avatar The Finest Reels you can Ill Afford NOT to buy
dougm
07-30-2007
Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair:
A Product Update©
The Finest Fly Reels you can Ill Afford
Not...
By Shane Stroud on 04-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Default Re: The Finest Reels you can Ill Afford NOT to buy

I suppose I didn't explain that well enough. I liked the look of the "wrong" reel much more than the one I thought I was getting. So, no, I didn't feel the need to contact John about it. In hind sight, I probably should have called him anyway, just so he could inspect his inventory. Other people might not appreciate a surprise like that.

Aside from the knob, which took about ten seconds to fix, other people had already mentioned the lack of instructions, tools, etc. I knew that was the case before I bought it, so it was not a problem for me. Besides, I'm an engineer. I'm pretty good at taking things apart and putting them back together. And most of them usually work afterwards.

In short, it's a good reel for the money. Only time will tell if it holds up, but it has done a great job so far.
By Aljack on 04-23-2009, 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=Shane Stroud;57556] Besides, I'm an engineer. I'm pretty good at taking things apart and putting them back together. And most of them usually work afterwards.QUOTE]

A true engineer would have stated that they always work better
afterwards. And if it didn't, it would be the result of someone elses screwup.

just joshing ya, I couldn't resist.
By Shane Stroud on 04-23-2009, 06:09 PM

[QUOTE=Aljack;57606]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stroud View Post
Besides, I'm an engineer. I'm pretty good at taking things apart and putting them back together. And most of them usually work afterwards.QUOTE]

Remember, there's fun to be had figuring out where the leftover parts belong.

I've been an engineer for the Navy for almost 19 years now and I definitely love my job. I'm going to miss all that excitement when I retire next year, but there will be more time to fish. And fishing is life.

Tight lines.
By Jackster on 04-23-2009, 08:25 PM

I had one cheap, offshore reel. I loaned it to a friend for smallie fishing and he handed it back to me in a very short time with the line in a worst rats nest than my old spinning gear ever got.
I somehow got my line off of it without needing to cut it off then threw that reel into the river. The one saving grace of it being cheap... when it failed I expected no less and never fretted over its loss to the River Gods!
I don't expect much from a reel but at the very least it should not free spool in its second use! This is about the only time I swore that bearing were a curse! This also drove it home that there is more to look at than just cost alone.
By mojo on 04-23-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I had one cheap, offshore reel. I loaned it to a friend for smallie fishing and he handed it back to me in a very short time with the line in a worst rats nest than my old spinning gear ever got.
I somehow got my line off of it without needing to cut it off then threw that reel into the river. The one saving grace of it being cheap... when it failed I expected no less and never fretted over its loss to the River Gods!
I don't expect much from a reel but at the very least it should not free spool in its second use! This is about the only time I swore that bearing were a curse! This also drove it home that there is more to look at than just cost alone.
I think the newer reels coming over are a lot better built then they were even a year or so ago. What's to programming a CNC machine and letting it rip. They're (Chinese) getting better and better month by month. Only thing is, a $35 Chinese reel comes over here selling on Ebay or through a fly shop selling for well over $100 most of the time. A guy can order 10 reels, cut down on shipping that way and make a tidy profit. If a reel takes a dump, it can be replace cheaply (if the importer stands behind the product). As said before, I love the new Korean Hardy's. They're better built with tighter tolerances for less money. So what. It sounds the same as the British made reels, and will last just as long.
But then again I have seen some cheap ass Chinese reels. That Vom Hoffe copy from A.R.E. is straight cheese. For $50 it's a nice looking reel, but leaves a lot to be desired as far as a Vom Hoffe clone goes.
By elevators on 05-29-2009, 07:14 AM

[QUOTE=Aljack;57606]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stroud View Post
Besides, I'm an engineer. I'm pretty good at taking things apart and putting them back together. And most of them usually work afterwards.QUOTE]

I'm bad at taking things apart and when trying to convert this to right hand the parts went flying all over my kitchen. Any ideas as to how to get this thing serviced?
By Aljack on 05-30-2009, 07:49 AM

Maybe try contacting the people you purchased it from, for starters.
By fieldsofdreams on 08-11-2009, 11:18 AM

Go to http://www.flyfishingbenefactors.estoreadvanced.biz and look at the reels there. Most have an exploded view jpeg that you can download. If it is an imported Chinese reel, you might find it there or someone that can help you.
By Frank Whiton on 08-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Member reviews
Performance
10%10%10%
Build Quality
10%10%10%
Appearance
10%10%10%
Value
10%10%10%
OverallN/A
Average 10%

Hi everyone,

When someone buys an off brand reel from the Internet you are taking a gamble. Support is probably non-existent and good luck getting parts. You also have the problem that the quality can vary from reel to reel. If you get a good one then it was a good deal. If it is not a good one you made a big mistake.

There are enough good reels from name manufactures that I think buying a no-name reel is unnecessary. If a name brand seller gets bad reels in most cases they go back to be fixed. If an Internet seller gets bad reels he may sell them. Why take the chance.

Frank
By mud_dler on 11-28-2012, 04:05 AM

Hello thought I'd copy a note I sent to Angler's Roost recently:

jksanglersroost@aol.com

Hi Johnny

Thought I would drop you a note about some products I bought from you this year. Purchased a 13 foot 7/8 weight double handed fly rod along with a 103L reel and a fly line among other things in March, followed later in the year with another identical reel. The handle of the rod broke after very little use and you made good on it right away, thanks for that.

I practiced with my outfit when I could get the time thru the spring and summer. Bought a line from Steve Godshall based on articles I read on the internet and caught a lot of stream trout on both the SGS line and your 8 wt fly line. By late summer my casting stroke had become easy and comfortable and I was getting decent fishable casts out there whenever I needed to. Here's a point for your "new to double hander" customers to think about: whenever I was too frustrated or too uptight to make decent spey casts I would just go back to ordinary overhead casting. It worked for me.

Anyway, this fall myself and my fishing buddy got into west coast salmon up here on the BC coast. We both fish exclusively with fly tackle and we did alright. We started on chum salmon, fishing wet flies no larger than size 6, just to test our tackle and our theories. Fishing small flies on slow sinking polyleaders keeps the flies high in the water column and only the fresh new chums took our flies, while excluding the slower, older salmon on the river bottom.

So what's the point of all this? Like I said we were testing our tackle so we would have our act together for the coho and steelhead which are coming in now. We caught lots of dynamite chum salmon between 10 and 25 pounds. They fight like demons. On one morning I caught 7 and my pal caught 5. The rod works like a charm, light in hand and casts a 450g scandi as light as a feather. The reels were tested beyond what I wanted to put them thru and they were great. Those big chums made many runs of 200 yards and more and the drags worked perfectly smooth and responded properly at any pressure setting.

Thanks for making this spey type tackle affordable to me (no one else seems to be doing so). I hope you can continue to bring in quality gear.

Best regards, Bernie McIlvaney
Comment

Review Tools