The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Galvan OB-3
Published by fshfanatic
04-15-2005
Author review
PerformanceN/A
Build QualityN/A
AppearanceN/A
ValueN/A
OverallN/A
Average N/A%
Default Galvan OB-3

[img2="LEFT"]http://www.galvanflyreels.com/assets/open_back_reels3.jpg[/img2] The Open Back reel was introduced to the market in March of 1999. The Open Back incorporates a large arbor for a few reasons. First, the large diameter on the Open Back dramatically increases retrieve speed. Line is picked up much more rapidly than with a conventional spool. Second, on a long running fish, a conventional reel will spin faster and faster as more and more line is taken out. The resulting increase in drag is often enough to pop a light tippet. With a large arbor spool, drag tension remains almost constant as more line and backing are pulled from the reel, thus reducing the chances of breaking off a big fish. Finally, line is stored in bigger loops, thus reducing the line coil memory and those annoying loops that come off near the bottom of a conventional spool.

Galvan Open Back reels incorporate all of the outstanding features of the standard Galvan reel. Available in the OB-1 (Open Back 1), OB-2, OB-3, OB-4, OB-5. These reels feature the same incredibly smooth action and drag as all Galvan reels. The machining of the frame and spool reduces weight and enables you to look through the middle of the reel. The Open Back's spool and frame are fully machined out of 6061 bar stock aluminum. It has a quick-release spool that requires no tools to change and is counter-balanced for wobble-free rotation. Made of aluminum and stainless steel. [From]

I have the OB-3, and this is the best reel by far of any of the reels I have ever used. I have owned/own Orvis, Ross, G. Loomis and a few other and they just don't compair. These reels are very light and have a drag that is beyond smooth. Even for the lightest of tippits.
Featured Reviews
Read more
Cortland Trout BOSS Fly Line

Cortland's New Premium Trout Fly Line
By Fish Bones on 04-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Default Re: Galvan OB-3

I have an OB-3 myself. I must say that it is my favorite reel. I now sell them in my fly shop.
By BigCliff on 04-17-2005, 11:45 PM

Have either of you guys compared the "OB" to the "Rush" that they have brought out more recently? I have noticed that the OB is considerably lighter than the Rush series, and of course a different color. Do you guys think the OB is superior to the Rush for reasons other than less weight and more unique appearance?

I'll have to admit I've never owned or fished a Galvan, but that might change soon. Especially when I win that Metolius rod with all that green and bronze trim....
By Curtis on 04-17-2005, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff
Especially when I win that Metolius rod with all that green and bronze trim....
BITE YOUR TONGUE YOU HERETIC!!!!!
By Fish Bones on 04-18-2005, 09:28 AM

BigCliff:

The Rush and the Open Back series have virtually the same thermoplastic drag system. Both are very smooth. The main difference is that the OBs have a highly ventilated spool and are much more cosmetically pleasing. Both are very good reels and you can't go wrong either way.
By Toadster01 on 04-30-2005, 11:06 PM

Love these reels. My dad got one after I showed them to him. They are the only reels we use now. I have an OB-2 that took a bad fall on the Green River in Utah below the Gorge dam, Galvan said they would replace the spool, which was bend slightly, if it becomes a problem during use. Now that is customer service.
By Curtis on 04-30-2005, 11:11 PM

Welcome aboard Toadster.
By Cody Triggs on 08-08-2008, 01:33 PM

i have a rush 4 weight and an obenback 6 weight for trout. I use the 4 weight for small streams in missouri and northern arkansaw, and the six weight out west (they yellowstone area generally) recently though I had a large lake taneycomo brown trout on the rush and it played out perfectly! 28 inches WOOHOO!!! No problems with either reel, will keep buying Galvan in the future. Galvan does not make bad fly reels!
Comment

Review Tools