The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Clear Creek Highlandville Rolling Duffel
Published by streamerking
11-07-2007
Author review
PerformanceN/A
Build QualityN/A
AppearanceN/A
ValueN/A
OverallN/A
Average N/A%
Default Clear Creek Highlandville Rolling Duffel

Click the image to open in full size.

Manufacturers description:
This is it – the one bag for all your fishing and travel needs. The Highlandville Rolling Duffle is designed for the serious angler. It’s big enough to hold your waders, boots, rods, and the rest of your gear with ease. The extra-large main compartment allows this bag to be used for fishing or everyday travel. The choice is yours.

Features:
• Large main compartment with 3 tube holder that holds rods up to 9' 4-piece
• Vented bottom compartment with neoprene liner allowing the wet items to be separated from the main compartment
• Six mesh interior pockets
• Three exterior pockets
• Long-lasting in-line skate wheels and bottom skid rail
• Reinforced handles, corners and zippers
• Heavy-duty aluminum handle

Uses?
The Highlandville Rolling Duffel is a-pack everything you need- travel bag. The vented bottom allowed me to separate my rain and wading gear from everything else. I found this to be a really important feature when making my selection. Mesh pockets cover two sides of the bag on the inside, providing enough holding space for the smallest of items. The inside also has a spot to hold up to three rod tubes.

The outside is made of a soft yet durable material with reinforced corners to prevent wear and tear associated with traveling. Something that really impressed me was the bags ability to stand up on its own. Even when I loaded it full of gear, it didn’t tip over! The empty bag only weighs 8-9 pounds. That is something to think about when flying, every pound counts. With a telescoping handle and inline skate wheels, this bag has all the modern amenities.

Durability?

I traveled to and from Belize and had no problems. All the zippers are YKK, the seams have thick reinforced stitching. The reinforced corners have some scuffs on them, but that is what they are made for, keeping the airline conveyers from burning a hole through. I’ll update this once I make some more travels with the bag and see how it holds up over time.

Recommendations?
I would recommend this duffel to anyone who has a limited budget but wants a high quality, dependable travel bag.

Why did I choose it?
The first reason was the price. At $175.00 it is $85 dollars less than Fishpond’s comparable item. I ordered a catalog from their website and received a 25% off coupon along with it. That means my duffel cost me $131. How could I say no to that?
The second reason was the vented bottom because I knew I would need to carry wet gear with me.

Pros?
Vented bottom
Heavy duty construction
Ability to stand alone
Light weight
Lots of room
Lockable zippers

Cons?
No color option
Hard to find in-stores (I like to look at an actual product before I buy it)

Grade: A

Reviewed by Jack Kemp, November 11, 2007. I am an avid fly fisherman with a limited budget. I am not affiliated with any fly fishing manufacturer, store, etc.
Featured Reviews
Comment

Review Tools