The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
dougm's Avatar Sharkskin
dougm
11-29-2007
Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair:
A Product Update©
Scientific Anglers Sharkskin
Doug Macnair
Click here to read the entire review
By steve l. johnson on 12-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Default Re: Sharkskin

re. sharkskin line:
havn't tried it, but there are other lines out there that sing through the guides even an old manufacturer Fenwick has a fly line out in optic green 7 wt.it has spirals going cross-ways in the line for the full length, on the final cast look out for the singing line.wheeeeeeeeeeeee.
Steve l. johnson
By ckalanik on 12-29-2007, 08:51 PM

So i just got the Shark skin and spent the day out on the river with it. It did cast well but not incredibly better than other fly lines Ive used. I didnt have any problems with my stripping hand so im not sure what you guys are talking about. It picked up gently and is the best WF line for roll casting Ive ever casted. All in all its a great line(well see how durable it is in the future) but Im not sure its worth the price. And its defidentally not the biggest thing since the graphite rod!
By flyfishfever on 01-05-2008, 10:29 AM

I fish for Erie steelhead, and i am seriously considering purchasing this fly line. I have read your report and im sold. I knew this was on the cutting edge of fly line, but was weary about buying it. But, i fish in the dead of winter up there, and i was wondering if this line would hold up good in the freezing waters? I still will purchase this line and thank you for the great report.
By fyshstykr on 01-05-2008, 04:32 PM

I about fell down when I seen the price tag on this new line, I'm gonna wait a while to see more reviews on it, if it holds up well, then maybe, but for me to buy one it had better last atleast 500 days on the river.
By ROVER on 01-05-2008, 05:10 PM

whats the chance that it will go down in price in a few months?
By fyshstykr on 01-05-2008, 05:17 PM

Not sure I have ever seen any flyline do that, we will see.
By Frank Whiton on 01-05-2008, 06:16 PM

Hi to all,

The new RIO Gold fly line is going for $65. So it looks like lines are going to reach another level. We have been paying $50 or so for quite some time now. The new SA Mastery trout line is $63.

Frank
By Pocono on 01-13-2008, 03:43 PM

I've cast this line many times on the lawn, on the snow and on the water. It's a very easy casting line. The WF 5, paired with a Sage Z-Axis 5 wt. 9 ft. rod, can really get you some quick distance on the water. The pick-up off the water is very easy, even at long line lengths. Roll casting, as another member stated, is easy and the tip seems, to me, to be almost bullet-proof; in terms of staying on the surface of the water. I do have to put a lot more drag on the reel when I'm casting out my line, because this line really wants to come off the reel in a hurry; resulting in loops and potential jams on the reel, if I'm not careful. Overall, I really like it.
By neversink on 02-16-2008, 12:58 AM

Did purchase my 3wt SharkSkin last Christmas and tried on small stream against sensitive fish and say it does do the job quite right in my situation that I needed to revive my old Orvis mid action fly rod to act like the latest.

Strength:
- short-mid range cast without slowing down much helps turn over my long senstive leader between 18-22 feet with midges
- high floating helps very smooth mending and rollcast

Weakness:
- water sprays a lot towards where you cast at, if you don't false cast much
- line sits nicely high on surface film, but easily trapped into fast current and sinks faster than regular line (I find it useful for wet fly tactics though
By burk48237 on 02-18-2008, 10:04 AM

Deleted
Comment

Review Tools