The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Review: Rise Fishing's Green Series 8'6" 4wt
Review: Rise Fishing's Green Series 8'6" 4wt
Easy, affordable and fun.
Published by BigCliff
06-13-2012
Author review
Performance
90%90%90%
Build Quality
90%90%90%
Appearance
90%90%90%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 92%
Default Review: Rise Fishing's Green Series 8'6" 4wt

Rise Fishing’s Green Series
Fun, Easy, and Affordable

Why do we fish?

For me its about the challenge of fooling fish while immersed in the beauty of nature. I love to see the “eat”, feel the fish’s energy through the rod, and watch the rod bow as I bring the fish to hand.

Not everything fun is easy, and not everything easy is fun. Likewise, not all fun comes at low cost. The rare occasion where you can combine fun, ease, and affordability is something few want to pass up.

Click the image to open in full size.

For the past few months, I’ve been fishing the 8’6” 4wt rod from Rise Fishing’s Green Series. Rise Fishing is a small American company in that’s putting out workhorse rods built for guides and others who like dependable rods that are easy to fish and don’t cost a mortgage payment. Rise covers the rod with a unconditional warranty against breakage for the original owner. They’re also giving back: Rise donates 20% of their profits to conservation and education efforts as an investment in the future of fly fishing. They’ve already put 200 Green Series rods in the hands of youth via Trout Unlimited.

I’ve been after an 8’6” 4wt for a while and I was curious to see if one priced so affordably could fit the bill. The rod arrived in a very nice cordura tube with a typical rod sock. Instead of the normal tube with the small sewn strap handle, the Rise tube comes with an adjustable shoulder strap. In the event you’re not sure what rod you want to take with you, you could wear this tube across your back while fishing another. As if that wasn’t enough, there’s also a clear plastic patch you can slide a business card into to identify the rod as yours. Those two features alone have to be worth at least $12, right? Given that many budget rods don’t even come with a tube at all, I’d say this is quite a head start.

The rod’s joints all fit snugly with precision and the reel seat looks plenty sharp. (I later found that it fits the foot of my Ross Colorado with some extra room, but it never came loose once tightened down. For those fishing reels with thicker feet, this quality could be a welcome feature.) The grip is on the thin and short side, and I think that’s perfectly fine on lighter rods. The cork is mid range, but not overly mushy or full of gaps and voids.

I found the factory description of the action as “Medium Fast” to be accurate when cast with SA’s Mastery Series Trout line. The Green rod has a nice soft tip creating good feel on casts from 15’-25’, and then the stouter mid section of the rod remains stiffer as you throw longer casts. The rod is quite accurate and also excels at trick casts and mends that lead to the most effective presentations. The trick cast I use the most is sidearm with a “tough right hook” finish, allowing me to throw sidearm under overhanging limbs and then have the fly turn over vertically. This rod made that cast easy as pie.

When fishing a heavily weighted fly and trying to throw over 60’ it folded a bit under the pressure, but we are talking about a 4wt rod here after all. One can’t expect a 4wt that really fishes like a 4wt to excel at heavy artillery work.

The Green Series rod isn’t the lightest out there, but its right in line with its sub-$250 brethren. It balanced perfectly 1” down the cork with my standard 4wt reel (Ross Colorado 2) and doesn’t feel heavy when casting. All in all, this rod won’t feel especially light, but the same can be said for slightly higher priced rods from TFO, Redington, Echo and some others.

All in all, the Green Series rod from Rise fishing is an easy to fish four piece rod in a unique transport tube for only $99. Whether it’s a for a new angler, a kid, or another arrow in the quiver of an experienced angler, I think you’ll find Rise Fishing’s Green Series to be both a great deal and great to fish!

You can grab one from Rise Fishing via this link GREEN SERIES

Featured Reviews
Read more
Abel Nipper

Rob Gardner
By Hardyreels on 06-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Default Re: Review: Rise Fishing's Green Series 8'6" 4wt

Very good write up Cliff, I hope this is read by many here.

Ard
By sweetandsalt on 06-14-2012, 07:39 AM

I have Rise Fishing's 9'/#7 Level Series rod which I have bonefished with and I give it high marks too. It is very well and tastefully built with a pleasing moderatly fast but nowhere near stiff action that offers a lot of feeling. At $299 its value to performance ratio is over the top.

This realtivly young company is the work of famed Montauk guide, Amanda Switzer and her expert caster husband Steve Bechard who fishes both trout and saltwater species. Steve has done tournament casting as well and knows exactly what he wants from his lightest to heaviest line weights. They donate a portion of their profits to conservation causes and, as I have written before in these forums, thier Level Series should be included in any of our research for a 6-weight on up rod.
By BigCliff on 06-14-2012, 07:27 PM

Good to hear S&S!

I'm also lacking a 10wt and might try their budget offering to fill that slot.
By BigCliff on 07-23-2012, 09:24 AM

Update:

The big fish portion of the Green Series test is now complete.

I took the rod in pursuit of carp Saturday, and it performed quite well. The rod spent about a full thirty minutes bent hard fighting large fish.

It performed well: It pulls hard when you bend it down to the cork, the ferrules never loosened, and it protected my tippet well all day.

Here's some pics-

Also, I'm now fishing it with SA's Mastery Headstart line, and like it even better. The short front taper provides powerful turnover that really helps with poppers and weighted stuff like carp flies. It also shoots noticeably better than SA's more delicate Trout line.
Last edited by BigCliff; 07-23-2012 at 09:41 AM..
By mi_trouter on 09-05-2012, 03:26 PM

Fished the Rise Co. Green Series 865-4 over the Labor Day weekend. Paired with an Allen Trout reel, & spooled with SA Lefty Kreh Signature line (tried to keep the outfit in the spirit of the budget angler).
I, and my wife, were very happy with the performance, though the rod was never tested with anything more challenging than a 12" brown.
Excellent choice for the money.
Comment

Review Tools