The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree5Likes

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
A Very Timely Test & Review of Grip Studs
Another Solution for Wading Traction? Read On......
Hardyreels
06-14-2012
This field test was timely indeed. As you all know over the past months we have had several threads that were focused on the banning of felt soled wading boots and the shift to Vibram rubber soles. This 'shift' in and of itself has left many folks concerned...
By jcw355 on 10-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Default Re: A Very Timely Test & Review of Grip Studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
I would have to say that buying Star Cleats for my Simms boots has been about the best investment I have made in this sport. I can now wade with much more confidence and will always use a cleat of some kind regardless of the brand of boot.
I had those in my boots but didn't use all of them like pictured on simms website. I split them up for me and my son in law and they wore down pretty fast I thought. Regardless I won't buy them again because of finding the above "studs". The star bite cleats are a good product but I think way overpriced.
By fredaevans on 10-20-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
Regardless I won't buy them again because of finding the above "studs". The star bite cleats are a good product but I think way overpriced.
That was my take too. For what you paid, you got what?
By ishi on 03-28-2013, 12:26 AM

Interesting discussion. In addition to being a fly fisherman I ride dirt bikes. The Grip Studs are just like those used by dirt bike riders to create their own winter tires. Long studs for racing on frozen lakes and shorter ones for more general winter riding conditions. A couple of tires will require hundreds of these studs as they are screwed into most of the knobbies on the tires. My understanding is that performance is amazing but very expensive. As one person pointed out the Kold Kutter screws are a less expensive alternative. Cheaper than even these I would imagine are simple hex headed screws. Nice to see the cross-over application.
By jcw355 on 03-28-2013, 05:35 AM

The kold kutter screws are hex headed but with some pretty good "biting" edges. After using them awhile they wear down quicker than I thought they would. For the price and the quantity you get I still think they are worth buying over the simms cleats. Rocks are tougher than ice so they would wear down quicker.
By yonder on 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishi View Post
Interesting discussion. In addition to being a fly fisherman I ride dirt bikes. The Grip Studs are just like those used by dirt bike riders to create their own winter tires. Long studs for racing on frozen lakes and shorter ones for more general winter riding conditions. A couple of tires will require hundreds of these studs as they are screwed into most of the knobbies on the tires. My understanding is that performance is amazing but very expensive. As one person pointed out the Kold Kutter screws are a less expensive alternative. Cheaper than even these I would imagine are simple hex headed screws. Nice to see the cross-over application.
I have been using those "simple hex headed screws" for years now. They work just fine for me. I buy them at the big box hardware store for dirt cheap. I use a cordless power drill to install them, and carry a quarter inch nut driver in the truck in case one needs to be replaced.
Comment

Review Tools