The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree5Likes

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling
dean_mt
06-28-2012
In the end it all depends on what you want out of your pack and how you use it. The things I want out of my fishing pack, on top of carrying enough flies and fishing gear, are:
-ability to carry water and food for a long fishing day
-ability to carry a stuffed rain shell/layerClick here to read the entire review
By fly_guy12955 on 11-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Default Re: Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling

How durable DO you think the nylon is ? Even if it's lifetime guaranteed,,I'd hate to have something chintzy to begin with.
By dean_mt on 11-12-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
How durable DO you think the nylon is ? Even if it's lifetime guaranteed,,I'd hate to have something chintzy to begin with.
It's heavy duty, I have daypacks that are lighter. Not something you should worry about.
By mk05_hj09 on 11-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Member reviews
Performance
90%90%90%
Build Quality
90%90%90%
Appearance
90%90%90%
Value
90%90%90%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 90%

Quote:
For the sake of clarification, I'm accustomed to carrying Maxpedition bags, which are constructed of heavy 1050 denier ballistic nylon, which is also coated in Teflon, making the bags heavy and somewhat stiff or rigid.

The lighter weight 840 denier nylon the Patagonia Stealth Atom sling pack is constructed with also has a waterproof coating ("durable water repellent finish"), but the lightweight material makes for a much lighter pack overall. I don't feel this pack is chintzy in any way, the construction appears to be top notch.

Please don't misinterpret my review, I feel this pack is a quality piece of gear that I really enjoy using. I'm relatively new to the Patagonia brand, so I think sticker shock may have played a fair part in my initial reaction to the pack. Not to say the Maxpedition gear is any cheaper, I was just surprised at the pack's cost for it's size at first glance, not taking into account it's overall design and features. If I had to do it over, I'd buy it again.
By cjottawa on 11-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Member reviews
PerformanceN/A
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
90%90%90%
Value
90%90%90%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 93%

Quote:
From Patagonia's website:

Quote:
840-denier water-resistant coated ballistics nylon is highly water repellent, durable and protects contents
I have tactical pants that use lighter weight 500D Cordura overall and either 840D or 1000D on the knees. They have yet to wear through, even sliding on concrete, grass and dirt.

I would not worry about this bag wearing out.
By ted4887 on 01-05-2013, 10:55 AM

Does anyone know of a single store, anywhere, that would have this in stock? Every store that I've checked, either online or physical, has been out of stock. Chicago Fly Shop called me the other day to let me know that they won't be able to get any more until the end of May! Hoping someone knows of a local shop that might have one left in stock.
By dean_mt on 01-05-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Does anyone know of a single store, anywhere, that would have this in stock? Every store that I've checked, either online or physical, has been out of stock. Chicago Fly Shop called me the other day to let me know that they won't be able to get any more until the end of May! Hoping someone knows of a local shop that might have one left in stock.
Wow, you can't find one online anywhere? I wonder if Patagonia is changing the design and they are out of stock. Did you check the Pata website? They sell direct. I bought my from my local shop, give the Kingfisher Fly Shop, Missoula a call. Good luck.
By ted4887 on 01-05-2013, 12:39 PM

Yeah, they are sold out on the pata website too. A few people on pata's chat told me that they expect it to be available by February for the "Spring line". However, according Chicago Fly Shop they won't be available until the end of May.

I'll give Kingfisher fly shop a call though. Thanks!

Edit - Kingfisher doesn't have any either.
By depenner on 01-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Check the Gorge Fly Shop ( http://www.gorgeflyshop.com). I had put off ordering one, but saw your post and went looking. Ordered one about an hour ago, and just received e-mail that they had processed my order and it would be shipping soon.

david

Quote:
By ted4887 on 01-05-2013, 04:02 PM

You got their last one. Man, thats just my luck!
By depenner on 01-06-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
You got their last one. Man, thats just my luck!

Since I'm usually the last one to the party, I know how you feel.

david
Comment

Review Tools