The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree2Likes

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar
kwb
10-19-2012
I recently needed a new pair of wading boots, I found myself in a dilemma.

I wanted a boot I could fish anywhere, which took felt out of the game with the recent bans on felt soled wading boots.

I wanted something that would grip well on slimy rocks and that took the...
By tbroberts on 07-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Member reviews
Performance
40%40%40%
Build Quality
80%80%80%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
50%50%50%
Overall
50%50%50%
Average 64%
Angry Re: Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar

After a lot of online research and trying a pair of the boots on at a fly shop, I finally bought the boots. I'm not very impressed. I know that I'm not the strong wader I was in my 30's or even 40's, but after all the reading I did on how these boots almost magically grab onto the rocks, I was very displeased to find this not to be the case. Unfortunately, the reviews I read that said the boots made the ankles sore proved true. For a person who kind of grew up with Patagonia back in my climbing days and loved their equipment and clothing back then, I am very disapointed with the boots. Keep trying Yvon. I know you can do better.

--TBR
By kuch on 09-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Default Re: Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramset View Post
I also found these boots pretty heavy. I used to own them (gottem for a trip to AK) but sold them soon after. They worked fine for the alaska trip, and I'd definitely recommend them to anyone that primarily fishes from a drift boat and wants to occassionally wade, but for the guy/gal that primarily wades- these are definitely too expensive to recommend. The alum. bars "skate" across most rocks unless your weight is absolutely centered on them (which isn't usually the case). Got Korkers metalheads, and those coupled w/ the svelte 2 soles are the best traction I've ever had.
This confirms my suspicions that the boots were great for drift boats and were also on the heavy side. Thanks for all the information.
By gfirob on 10-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Default Re: Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar

I have had these boots for about 6 months now and I really like them. I have a bad knee and stability is very important to me, which is why I spent the 9 million dollars they cost. At first, it felt (and sounded to me) like I was walking on crushed aluminum beer cans, but the soft aluminum rounded off pretty quickly and that went away. I think there is no doubt that they are more stable than felt. I have hiked quite a bit in them in and out of the woods on rock paths and never had problem. They are heavy, but they are very well made (though maybe really not quite worth 9 million dollars). I have complete confidence in them now and that means quite a lot.
Comment

Review Tools