The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree2Likes

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar
Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar
Published by kwb
10-19-2012
Author review
Performance
100%100%100%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
80%80%80%
Overall
100%100%100%
Average 96%
Default Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar

I recently needed a new pair of wading boots, I found myself in a dilemma.

I wanted a boot I could fish anywhere, which took felt out of the game with the recent bans on felt soled wading boots.

I wanted something that would grip well on slimy rocks and that took the new rubber soled wading boots out of the game.

I also wanted something that wouldn't destroy the floor on my boat which took studded rubber soled wading boots out of the game.

Basically the only option I was left with was the newer Patagonia boots which utilize aluminum bars as a traction device. I was pretty skeptical of how well they would perform, but I knew if I didn't like them, Patagonia would take them back.

Then I seen the price and was sticker shocked to say the least, however, I thought, what other choice do I really have.

So I ordered a pair and have now used them quite a few times in a variety of situations and to put it bluntly, they are the best boots I have ever used. Extremely comfy and they stick like glue to even the slickest of rocks. The build quality is typical of Patagonia, very good and if you ever have an issue, my experiences with their customer service have always been stellar.

Just thought some people would appreciate a review of sorts on what I consider to be the solution to my dilemma...
dean_mt and golfnfish like this.
Featured Reviews
By dean_mt on 10-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Default Re: Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar

How are they when hiking through the woods, a mile down a gravel road, along the river bank, etc.? That is my concern.

Thanks!
By kwb on 10-19-2012, 02:55 PM

I walked along a rip rap bank with large chunks of concrete, dry concrete, they worked great there...

As far as just walking down a trail in the woods or a gravel road, they would be just fine...

They give you better grip than just felt would in any of the circumstances you mentioned...

I have used mine in all kinds of terrain, never felt the need for more traction...

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

I will also add, I found them to give superior traction on slippery rocks than any felt or rubber soled boots with studs ever have given me...
By fredaevans on 10-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Member reviews
Performance
80%80%80%
Build Quality
90%90%90%
Appearance
80%80%80%
Value
70%70%70%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 82%

Guys, allie-mum-um on the bottom of boots is 'old school.' Dan Bailey had there 'Stream Cleats' out years ago (no longer make them) but you could run up the side of a tree with these 'over-boot' things. Clunky? Without question. Did you go for long walks (save for in the water) with them on your regular wading boots? Not a chance. Pain to put on when needed? So yes.

But for fifty bucks the best life insurance policy you could buy. The soft allie-bars on the bottom would grab-hold on to anything ... including the polished lava slab rock bottom on the North Umpqua or Deschutes here in Oregon.

Posted this up before (where-ever) and retrofitting existing boots with allie-bars is total simples. Hit a big box hardware store and get a flat bit of alli bar (1/4" thick is best) and (if you don't already have same) two drill bits. One to drill through the bar (thread of screw size) and one to counter-sink the screw head.

Screw length is 3/4 of the thickness of the bar and 3/4 into the bottom of your boot bottom. (Give or take!)

Measure/cut the bar to boot width (two for heel, 3 or four for the rest. Drill the screw holes, counter sink so screw head is below the bar and zip in. Almost forgot: a small bottle of Gorilla Glue (or water proof) and put a squirt of that on the screw heads. Once that sets up, the screws/bars aren't going anywhere unless you want.

fae
By shotgunfly on 11-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Member reviews
Performance
80%80%80%
Build Quality
80%80%80%
Appearance
70%70%70%
Value
60%60%60%
Overall
70%70%70%
Average 72%

Been wearing these for a year now.

Compared to the Patagonia Riverwalker sticky rubber boots, they do well in freestone waters.

Beware that if you step on a branch right in the instep of the boot you can slip and fall..there's just smooth rubber in that area.

The metal clasps for the laces up around the ankle are a little bit too close together. When lacing them up sometimes the laces get around the wrong clasps. Small inconvenience.

I gave it a value of 6, now that I know I can probably turn my old sticky bottom rock grips into aluminum bar rock grips. I may try that this summer.

I've found them to be heavy. Going to get a new pair of their ultralight felt bottom boots and add on the River crampons if I feel like I need it.

==========
Update 2/8/14
Starting to not like these boots. Whenever my foot get's sideways on a inclined bank where the bars are parallel to the upward slope of the bank, you can't help but SLIDE. There is just NO traction between the bars.

Also the hooks that hold the lace have actually cut one of the laces.

Really, really thinking of dumping these boots this year.
Last edited by shotgunfly; 02-08-2014 at 09:02 PM..
By thewalker1013 on 11-13-2012, 08:57 PM

Will they booger up a boat?
By fredaevans on 11-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Member reviews
Performance
80%80%80%
Build Quality
90%90%90%
Appearance
80%80%80%
Value
70%70%70%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
Will they booger up a boat?
No, they're flat bars, not spikes.

fae
By gfirob on 01-19-2013, 02:49 PM

I just bought a pair of these based on all the reviews on line, but I did find out that Patagonia will sell you the entire system -- bars, threaded inserts and bolts -- as replacements, for both boots for $29. They have very detailed instructions on line as a pdf. The problem I saw in checking this out is that the Patagonia boot is entirely flat-soled under the aluminium, but any lugged boot is going to have spaces under some of the bolt holes, and I wasn't sure how much of a problem that might be. So I bit the bullet and bought the new boots. Have not received them yet.
By shotgunfly on 02-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Member reviews
Performance
80%80%80%
Build Quality
80%80%80%
Appearance
70%70%70%
Value
60%60%60%
Overall
70%70%70%
Average 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
How are they when hiking through the woods, a mile down a gravel road, along the river bank, etc.? That is my concern.

Thanks!
Oye. Kinda late on getting in on this one. I wore them on a 1.2 mile hike through the woods. On a path covered in rocks, leaves, mud, dirt, sticks. I did find myself slipping a bit on dry rocks.

They are kinda heavy.
By ramset on 02-19-2013, 04:48 PM

I also found these boots pretty heavy. I used to own them (gottem for a trip to AK) but sold them soon after. They worked fine for the alaska trip, and I'd definitely recommend them to anyone that primarily fishes from a drift boat and wants to occassionally wade, but for the guy/gal that primarily wades- these are definitely too expensive to recommend. The alum. bars "skate" across most rocks unless your weight is absolutely centered on them (which isn't usually the case). Got Korkers metalheads, and those coupled w/ the svelte 2 soles are the best traction I've ever had.
Comment

Review Tools