The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Swift-Current Lamson/WLx performance Handle
Swift-Current Lamson/WLx performance Handle
Published by pete a
12-24-2012
Author review
PerformanceN/A
Build QualityN/A
AppearanceN/A
ValueN/A
OverallN/A
Average N/A%
Default Swift-Current Lamson/WLx performance Handle

This is a review of the Swift-Current Performance Handles for Lamson Guru and Cabelas WLx (Home). They are also coming to market with a handle for the Konic which I was lucky enough to be one of the first to try.

For those who are familiar with these reels you know they are well designed durable reels with large acceptance and use in the field. The Guru & WLx both have a fully machined construction while the Konic uses a cast but durable construstion.

In my opinion these reels have on glaring weakness which is the standard handle:

Click the image to open in full size.

This feels almost like an afterthought in design. Just a straight piece of plastic aprox same diameter as a soda straw. In my fingers it does not offer a "purchase" to grip when hands are wet/cold/slippery (common fishing situations).

However the Swift-Current handle offers a more welcoming grip. It does not however become bulky or obtrusive. See the handle installed on a Cabelas Wlx 7.8:

In my view it also compliments compliments the lines of the reels. Here's the same Konic 4.0 with the new handle:

At this time you can get any color as long as it is Black, Green, Blue & Red. This would work well for a steelheader with multiple spools for instant identification. I have asked if they consider a wood like color.

You can find these on Ebay for not much more than the cost of a couple leaders. Their service is superbe, Jason and the crew there.

I love to tinker, fiddle, tweak my own equipment and for me this is just the ticket.

Pete A.
Featured Reviews
Read more
Abel Nipper

Rob Gardner
Comment

Review Tools